Not open for further replies.

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Hello,

I am interested to know what you guys think of the two. I know a lot of people really love KIS, I am not sure how many users on here are fans of avast!.

State your opinions why you like one over the other, or if you like something else better than both of these what would it be and why?

What do you think of the new Evo-Gen from avast!?

I didn't wanna say KIS 2014 because I know it's in beta and I'm sure Kaspersky has a lot of bugs to work out and fix.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Umbra Corp. said:
and why the number of users is so important in your eyes...?

high number of users doesn't necessarily means best protection.

Indeed, it's not that important; just got curious 'cause of the different numbers/statistics. but.. maybe the reputation services of most popular antivirus products are better than the others? I would like to know that.. :)

spywar

Level 11
Oct 26, 2012
Number of users for avast! :

Bigger it is >> More BB will report suspicious binaries via CommunityIQ sensors to virus lab.
Better FileRep system ..
It's not that important but from what I can see on opswat Kaspersky has less users than avast! (paid product cannot beat a free as easily) ^^

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Of course those profit received by those paid security products are their matter effort to make it even more better versions.

jasonX

Level 9
Apr 13, 2012
I use Avast 7 as the new Avast 8 is still not stable enough as compared to the latter. Even the update pop-up saying there is a new update for Avast 7.0.1483 is still there but in reality there is no Build 1483 but Avast 8! The software updater has caused some concern. I think this is an attempt to have a Secunia-like tool but just started...just like it's virtualization-sandbox a sort of spin -off from Sandboxie. Some who installed version 8 was not aware of it (or may have overlooked it) and now some have problems stopping it(after reboot it's back again). Thought software needs to be updated, as we all know having the most updated version sometimes causes instability to others like Windows updates. The reason I update manually all my application (tend to wait and see if there are issues). I read about svchost.exe continues to download updates for all programs even when the software updater tool was uninstalled/avast 8 uninstalled!

KIS 2013 has still it's vulnerability on it's firewall plus the slow--shutdown/startup. I like KIS 2012 better and am waiting on the new patch or new build from Kaspersky.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Using older AV is still capable to use as long its maintained from support caused they will put a rule cycle to discontinued it.

Geni

Jan 26, 2012
I'd say Kaspersky Internet Security 2013.

Avast Internet Security is using Outpost Firewall.
AFAIK Outpost offers better 64-bit OS integration than many other vendors,
but it really slows down PC - personal experience.
Although Avast have many good layers of protection,
advanced Kaspersky users know that adjusting only "Winlock" will keep their ass protected,
even in dangerous environment.

Also Kaspersky PURE 3.0 is more stable than KIS 2013, which is expected because trough patches not everything can be fixed.

As for what Emsisoft needs is integrated solution and not 5 or 6 background processes,
no matter how small they are. I used Tall Emu's OA and when Emsisoft taken over OA I hoped more innovation,
which never happened, OA became only more unstable.
Now I heard they are building it from scratch, which is good step for Emsisoft.
On the other hand I have to say all the best for their Anti-Malware product.

As for Norton Internet Security 2013 even hardcore fans agree that they rushed because of Windows 8 (contract between them and Microsoft in which they are obligated to release compatible edition in certain time after new OS is released).

Cheers.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I voted Avast, just to rain on the Muscovy parade.

When I think security, it won't be those two. So whether a suite, or a combination of components from rival PC security developers, it will be along these lines:

ESET
Emsisoft
Comodo
Sandboxie
F-Secure
G-Data
Ikarus
Threatfire
Avira

And Zone Alarm AV gets my attention due to the Kaspersky engine without the Kaspersky price tag.

I realize that most of those are not free solutions, but neither is KIS or AIS.

That is a broad selection, but that is the pool that I would personally choose from, esp. if the alternatives cost 50-80 dollars for a lifetime license.

So, all that being said, Emsisoft really has my eye, so that would be "other" to me.

suma

Level 4
Verified
Feb 18, 2013
I was a fan of KASPERSKY . But not now. KIS 2013 dump my pc as like as mummy.. cant able to do any work in my pc.. Thats only reason the kaspersky lab should work on RAM eating processing.

Malware Man

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
I just did a clean install of Windows 8. (Acer preinstalled so much junk and Windows 8 got messed up somehow). I am using Windows defender + WIndows smart screen filter + MBAM for on demand. I have no issues. I feel no need to download third party antivirus software when I know what I am doing and watch what I download. I never install dodgy programs. I've learnt dealing with viruses the hard way. I used to get them all the time. I remember getting one and it deleted my whole hard drive on me on the next restart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.