Battle KIS 2018 vs Emsisoft Internet Security 2017.4

drakester

Level 1
Thread author
May 14, 2017
Hi all,

I'm currently looking for a very good Internet Suite solution.

I've been reading through several topics and most of the opinions mention these two as excellent overall performers.

I want a good suite that has both av and firewall, excellent protection overall, minimal system impact, reliable (not unstable) and doesn't get in my way since I'll be installing this on three separate Windows 10 PCs: a workstation, gaming desktop and laptop.

It's between EIS and KIS latest and greatest but any other suggestion that fills the requirements are welcome.

Thanks a lot!

aragornnnn

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 18, 2016
Kaspersky because you can tweak every single setting, and make it block ballistic missile's loaded with deadly viruses all day long.
I'ts also quite cheap (on Ebay for 7-8 dollar) I am personally using Ebay licenses for ages now without any problems.

Their support is also great, if your key gets blocked because you reinstalled too many times they will reset it Ebay or not. :)

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
they are equally good. You can't go wrong with either
KIS is sometimes stronger in some parts but EIS is sometimes stronger in other parts

about performance, EIS is lighter than KIS with much faster scanning speed, which makes everything faster not just on-demand scans

get 1 of them if it has a cheaper price you can find. KIS usually has better deals on some websites

+1.
Is like choosing between BurgerKing or McDonalds, you cant go wrong with any of them.
I would go for Kasperky though. Never disappointed me

lobo001

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 26, 2017
I am an EAM user, very happy with the ... Fast and reliable (the behavior blocker is very good), but still, I have to say, that if you choose KIS, you will not go wrong !!
I mean, I you, coin to the air, XD !!!

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
+1.
Is like choosing between BurgerKing or McDonalds, you cant go wrong with any of them.
I would go for Kasperky though. Never disappointed me
Burger King is better :D
McDonald's is not good, simply is that
I also vote for Kaspersky but I don't use it because of the general performance impact
Emsisoft is fast but I don't like the memory consumption. I need my memory to run other kinds of stuff and my VM for testing. Memory optimization is likely to push memory blocks into virtual memory, which I don't like

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Burger King is better :D
McDonald's is not good, simply is that
I also vote for Kaspersky but I don't use it because of the general performance impact
Emsisoft is fast but I don't like the memory consumption. I need my memory to run other kinds of stuff and my VM for testing. Memory optimization is likely to push memory blocks into virtual memory, which I don't like

Kaspersky does that too by default.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
What i can't understand about this discussion is that in malware hub the evidence is astoundingly clear Kaspersky is a far better product than
Emsisoft, this chat about Emsisoft BB this & BB that is ancient new cause clearly in MH Emsisoft gets infected far more than Kaspersky
which mean most of these discussions isn't about which product is most effective, but which was great in the past.:confused:

I think the TS is initially asking which offer better balance between these two in terms of protection and user-friendliness. So in this case, compromise is inevitable between the two. Which is why I opted Emsi on this thread previously but solely based on the fact that Emsi is definitely way more affordable and more readily to run even without any change in settings/config.

Subsequently if TS is asking which is the most effective protection, then I'll very glad to choose neither. AV/IS is nowhere near formidable to default-deny/ anti-executable type protection IMHO.

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Emsisoft was Billy the kid to malware now Malware is becoming billy the kid to Emsisoft. Testing agencies pressure has dawn on what was once
a force to be reckoned with security software and the evidence is there to confirm, but I will not debate it any further just let the grains of salt
settle in the wounds and people will notice late, i have 826 day left with Emsisoft so time will tell or smell BB careful peeps.:)

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
I will not debate it any further

Actually, I wouldn't mind if you did. I use Emsisoft myself and would love to know if my boat is steering towards a reef with full-blown sails.

The test agencies usually speak of a high amount of false positives which I haven't really encountered so far and checking a dozen posts in the hub didn't reveal anything out of the ordinary to me.

So yes, I'd really appreciate if you could point me to your sources. Not for the sake of having an argument, I'd love to understand the weaknesses mentioned.

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
I have on Google safe search browsing the net as i do emsisoft barely say 2 word for the yrs i have been using it, so when Emsisoft start breaking things i normally uninstall to there is a fix for it, mean time I does install some other AV like KIS, Norton or Gdata
with these go about my business browsing like the norm, but do you no while searching for news or stuff i get alerts of a phishing page block by Google,KIs,Norton or Gdata.
Emsisoft doesn't say a word, now along will come a person and say the BB will have detected any thing dropped and block it, but here is some solid evidence for you MalwareHub clearly show that the said BB does let stuff through and have it running in memory undetected,so if its
very poor on phishing sites and most stuff web related I'm not going to get here on this forum and tell other members that it is as good as KIS or
Norton facts are facts these 2 products aren't millimeters or centimeters better than Emisisoft there are more like inches or feet.
I need an AV that is well rounded not 1 that strongly relies on 1 component that does not scream wisdom but to each his own, I will not tell a member not to use it, I will not tell a member it is a bad product, for me it isn't well rounded, and this is coming from a very long time user who still uses it,facts.
I honestly feel people stop testing it in malwarehub due to the fact that out of 20 test Emsisoft infection rate was about 18 Facts.

Semetery

Jan 26, 2016
I can't contribute much technically but I can give you what I've come up with on my usage.

I've been having issues with Emsisoft (but that's not in any way a normal thing for probably 99.999%). I get random crashes, lockups and restarting the program freezes sometimes.

As for Kaspersky, I don't care for the politics because I'm no one important, but I do wonder if it's safe to use since I keep seeing people conflict about whether there's something to the allegations. I hate to even bring that up but I was just about to purchase a license yesterday and realize that it's something you need to think about when talking security. That's a clear outcome from what happened, which may be a shame, but I want security I can trust to a certain point. Functionality-wise, though, the only issue I ever had was the traffic filtering disconnecting me at times. It wasn't everyone and it has possibly been worked out by now. Disabling it works a charm though I'd rather use it if I could.

In my overall experience, EIS' behavior blocker is fantastic (I use it to completely stop some apps from even running), I've received great support (though the problems still exist for my personal system) and it feels light. KIS was great as well, feels 'thicker' for whatever reason and bulkier but it ran well on my system.

If both were running properly side by side and I had to choose, in my opinion I think you'd be hard pressed to dislike either. They feel like two strong security suites, one heavily configurable and the other easier to setup and go. Both run far, far better for me than Bitdefender. I like BD but my i7 just feels more sluggish with it running, which is a shame. I also don't care for the more basic firewall, personally.

That ended up much longer than intended. I'll consider both working properly and all politics aside and toss my vote in for EIS. I've found it very effective and easy to use for my personal systems.

Good luck!

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Have used both,and would recommend either,I chose Kaspersky over Emsisoft due to its anti-exploit protection, software updater and also a Vpn service,I like having these items in one package opposed to adding to Emisoft with third party software, I have had good success with open chat on the Kaspersy site,No wait at all for support,Good Luck

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
@Terry Ganzi Thanks for responding! I just checked the last 5 pages on the Malware Hub and lo and behold, you do have a point.

Oftentimes Emsisoft does get the short end of the stick and that is worrisome. While I do not put great emphasis on URL detections (I know where I go to and don't visit phishing sites), detection rate seems to be highest with Kaspersky.

The only thing I can't verify is having to constantly uninstall it while waiting for fixes. Emsisoft never gave me hiccups and after perusing some forums, it seems it's Kaspersky which had a huge amount of problems with Windows 10 compatibility as well as every single major update (RS1, RS2), leaving Windows 10 64bit partially unprotected for months until they got their stuff together.

In the end, I have to admit that Kaspersky has the best detection rate for the time being and I hope Emsisoft will catch up in the near future.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Running KTS...
upload_2017-5-22_8-42-34.png

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
If your not going to add,other security software,I would say Kaspersky,but maybe you already know this,{so forgive me for wasting your time} Check out administrators and other high level members,on this site"s security configurations,almost all use secondary programs,one is not enough gl

Reactions: WolfensteinXeen
W

WolfensteinXeen

These 2 security softwares are among the best so you can't go wrong here.

But without a doubt i would choose Emsisoft Internet Security for the following reasons:

- It offers stronger BB protection.
- It's lighter and doesn't cause any slowdowns.
- I has 2 engines (Bitdefender and their own).
- The GUI is simple yet offers a lot of settings.
- It's based in New Zealand wich is a very neutral country, so you know they are more likely to respect your privacy and it's unlikely there's a Russian (or US, Chinese, etc...) backdoor on their soft.

Also what i stated is based on my personal experience and might not reflect what you will notice on your PC. I advise you to try both of them and decide for yourself.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.