LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
May 3, 2018 , 12:57 pm
Yet another bad actor has taken advantage of Drupal sites still vulnerable to “Drupalgeddon 2.0,” this time to mine cryptocurrency.

The bad script, dubbed the “Kitty” cryptomining malware, takes advantage of the known critical remote-code execution vulnerability in Drupal (CVE-2018-7600) to target not only servers but also browsers, according to researchers at security company Imperva Incapsula.

On servers, the attackers install a mining program – “kkworker” – which mines the xmrig (XMR) Monero cryptocurrency.

But the attackers are are also looking to expand their mining efforts to web app visitors using a mining script called me0w.js. They achieve this through adding the malicious JavasSript (me0w.js) to the commonly used index.php file, cashing in on the processor juice of future visitors to the infected web server site.

“To win over kitty lovers’ hearts, the attacker cheekily asks to leave his malware alone by printing ‘me0w, don’t delete pls i am a harmless cute little kitty, me0w,'” the researchers said.
... .... ...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.