Paul.R

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
Repository link - kiwibrowser/src

Message from the dev : ** Hi @everyone,

Every year, the tradition with Kiwi is to announce something big for its anniversary:

• 15 April 2018 - First Kiwi Browser release.
  • 15 April 2019 - Kiwi Browser gets support for Chrome Extensions.
  • Today, Kiwi Browser for Android is going full open-source, like Chromium or Mozilla Firefox.
Everything is released, including extensions code, no strings attached.

You are even allowed to integrate Kiwi in your commercial browser (yep, Microsoft Edge, Brave and Vivaldi are encouraged to use code) or create your own (if you have custom ROMs for example).

This project represents thousands of hours of work.

Pushing such code is absolutely important, it means that new browsers will be able to support extensions and add new functionalities by reusing the work done on Kiwi Browser. In the past weeks, I worked with other browsers to help them integrate Kiwi functionalities. Hope to see good news soon.

If you want to improve Kiwi, your changes will be reviewed actively on GitHub. If you want to create your own fork, feel free to do so.

My goal is to open new possibilities for anyone to mod their browser with absolute freedom.

Give back the power to the user.

The source-code is now available on GitHub and is now the reference for all future developments. It's in Java and C++. As Chromium build system can be sometimes complex to setup, all the dependencies are already included in the repository.

Feel free to share the news with the modding community and Android lovers around you.

If you want to help the project (it's free, as in free beer, and free, as in freedom now), spread the word around you and up-vote Kiwi when you see it on social networks

Thanks a lot for your support, if you have questions you can reach here as well. Arnaud.**

Last edited by a moderator:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Now Kiwi is open source we can expect Brave, Ungoogled Chromium etc to incorporate the extensions code into their android version and release them quickly

We are going to be spoil for choices soon
That's the first thing came into my mind too. Now we're going to see a lot more of Chromium based Android browsers with extension support which is great. Another bad news for Firefox though.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
There are even less Firefox Mobile users than Firefox desktop users already so I doubt Firefox dying in mobile is an end to Firefox itself.

People have been declaring the death of Firefox for a decade or more. I will believe it dead when I see it dead.
As a perpetual underdog nonetheless. Let's just say Firefox has experience in this.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Just curious, I thought Firefox Mobile has addon support? What would be the difference between that and extentions? (Aside from a bit of a limited selection, I can still have an ad blocker.)

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
This is great for the Android ecosystem dominated by Google and their advertising empire, I was a fellow Firefox user but the Android it's still bland IMHO (a bug in their android-components causing to lose background tabs if you switch to another app and the lack of proper WebRender support for devices with Mali GPU) on desktop is another story but sadly nowadays developers only code for Chromium and things can get broken). I'm currently using Vivaldi Snapshot perhaps being another Chromium fork there's a helpful community in their forums.

I'm sure Brave/Vivaldi/Other developers can benefit from Kiwi codebase using the patches necessary to incorporate extension support into their browsers.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
People have been declaring the death of Firefox for a decade or more. I will believe it dead when I see it dead.
I'm not saying that it's going to die. I'm just saying that Firefox on Android has a very low number of users, less than one percent and most of the users use it because it has extension support. But if chromium browsers starts supporting extensions then the is going to decrease even more. Already on desktop the numbers are dropping, more so after the Chromium Edge. This concerns me about its future but I don't think it's going to die. There's still plenty of Firefox users. I myself use it on desktop and android and don't see any reason for me to change it.
Just curious, I thought Firefox Mobile has addon support? What would be the difference between that and extentions? (Aside from a bit of a limited selection, I can still have an ad blocker.)
Add-ons and extensions are the same thing. Most of the extensions that's available on desktop can be used in Firefox for Android.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I'm not saying that it's going to die. I'm just saying that Firefox on Android has a very low number of users, less than one percent and most of the users use it because it has extension support.
I get you point now. I use Firefox for Android on a Amazon Fire tablet (Android) sometimes, it’s okay but not great. I use it on my desktop and iPhone and I love it. I always wondered about it’s future, but it’s always seemed pretty resilient.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
I get you point now. I use Firefox for Android on a Amazon Fire tablet (Android) sometimes, it’s okay but not great. I use it on my desktop and iPhone and I love it. I always wondered about it’s future, but it’s always seemed pretty resilient.
Firefox is the most lindy browser out there. I doubt it will go away unless they killed all the nerds out there. Some of the recent things in Firefox also proves that they're not solely copying Chrome anymore.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
If you type kiwi://version you'll see the following page. In case if you can't open pages just clear data, cache and cookies

Screenshot_20200912_081829_com.kiwibrowser.browser.jpg

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Small update Git200930. Get it from

What’s new

This new version focuses on:
- (general) Improved two important stability issues (screen rotation, and GPU freezes)
- The feedback has been positive on this, but if you still have an issue, feel free to reach out and we can try other solutions together.
- (browsing) Fix related to Facebook Messenger web edition.
- (browsing) Fix for a minor issue related to Twitter windows not opening.
- (extensions) Added partial support for Opera experimental Desktop extensions.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Another small update Git201006 released

This release resolves two issues that were reported by the community:
(fix) copy-pasting data into Kiwi Browser was not functioning all the time.
The data in the clipboard was sometimes outdated.
(fix) Google Meet sessions are now joinable again
(an error message was displayed due to Google Meet incorrectly detecting Kiwi as if it was a robot).

Get it from

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.