RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Hello everybody. The main post was updated again with new suggestions. Please take into consideration I try not to add those points which I personally find to be personal/isolated issues. If you believe that the main post contains a point that should not be there (it's a personal opinion, an isolated issue, irrelevant), please fear not to send me a PM so I can edit it. (avoid posting it here since it will most likely start a discussion with other members)

Special thanks to the staff team which unlocked the main post for me so I could keep editing it.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
@Robbie I would like to add a few more things I missed about Kaspersky
- Scan mode: On execution => it still scans files on-access (slow icon appearance in folder, only 1, after 1 reboot)
- Weak against adwares/PUPs
- Rootkit scan scheduled scan causes high CPU usage and slows down PC -> false perception that Kaspersky is resource-hog
- Kaspersky removal tool (kavremover) is known to break System Restore/system protection (still not fixed)
- Tweaking KIS's firewall is a pain for new users due to child process rule inheritance from parent process
- Firewall: unable to block the default Public network -> KIS will block the whole internet

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Norton:

- Can cause problems with web install for some users with browsers yet not for others.

- After web install from main site download installs older version then updates in stages requiring several reboots & updates to get to final.

- It leaves old large installers that some users may not know are there & may not know if to OK remove.

- Very nice interface & firewall easy to block unwanted programs phoning home etc.

- Great when installed & running & good balance of protection & resource use (for me)

Last edited:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
@Robbie I would like to add a few more things I missed about Kaspersky
- Scan mode: On execution => it still scans files on-access (slow icon appearance in folder, only 1, after 1 reboot)
- Weak against adwares/PUPs
- Rootkit scan scheduled scan causes high CPU usage and slows down PC -> false perception that Kaspersky is resource-hog
- Kaspersky removal tool (kavremover) is known to break System Restore/system protection (still not fixed)
- Tweaking KIS's firewall is a pain for new users due to child process rule inheritance from parent process
- Firewall: unable to block the default Public network -> KIS will block the whole internet
Have a multi licence for KIS, installed on a friends PC & she complained her start menu was just not working, well it was but one icon at a time after boot, turned out KIS wasn't ideal for her so now has an alternative.

Regarding Norton there is a recurring bug where two instances of the tray icon show up:
Norton
Good point, on occasions when the icon changes to yellow the entire taskbar can flash & reappear, not critical but needs sorting.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Have a multi licence for KIS, installed on a friends PC & she complained her start menu was just not working, well it was but one icon at a time after boot, turned out KIS wasn't ideal for her so now has an alternative.
which is the alternative? can you share it? Thanks
I do get a few problems with Kaspersky but not that serious. I think it's can be fixed by dism /restorehealth -> sfc/scannow

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Well, I don't have that problem but I do see it to a degree, her laptop isn't anything approaching state of the art, & I did tidy it up & what's on start up in the end I put ESET on + VS + uBlock on her browser & not heard anything bad. I do think that what works well for some may not for others simply because of their hardware and the way they do things, + programs like the old iTunes for Windows - At times I do despair (cry) as end up sorting far more PC's than I would like but I do get benefits, mainly a few cups of coffee at work & cake :):):)

Reactions: oldschool and JB007

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
After uninstall of Norton, user must setup Windows scheduled defrag again and startup items must be disabled again via Windows (I believe only if you use the Performance tab and it's options). I had to do this many times as Norton doesn't revert those settings.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
No free version
This shouldn't be included as a con of Eset or any other Anti viruses. All the other points you made are more or less valid based on user experience but this shouldn't be included here as there are countless other AVs out there who doesn't have a free version. It's their business policy not a "Known problem" of those products.

Emsisoft RAM usage... Emsisoft just don't go out of their way to hide it or sacrifice disk usage (e.g. by not constantly swapping signatures from disk and out again). They have an optimization feature anyway ?

The Hitman Pro included is not the same as the standalone Hitman Pro
This isn't a known problem. That's just the design of the product.

HIPS is HIPS. It can block everything including safe files.
This isn't a known problem either. You said it yourself, HIPS is HIPS. You're adding a point about a feature being a con for working as it was intended to work.

It wouldn't be a HIPS if... it wasn't a HIPS.

Merged labs with NSA
How is this a "known problem" ? That's not an issue with the functioning of their products.

The purpose of this is to let users know what kind of issues or scenarios they will face when installing X antivirus.
1. Hitman Pro not being present isn't a "known" problem a SOPHOS user will face. They might be disappointed but that is a different story.
2. If ESET HIPS is configured improperly by accident or used by someone who doesn't know what they are doing then it can definitely cause problems... but that is a different story. It isn't ESET's fault if the product works.
3. Trend-Micro users aren't going to face a prompt about how there's an issue connecting to NSA servers.

There are some good points being made but some are becoming a stretch now IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Hi, can we post issues that are current and may not apply as a fix is in the making and/or an update to fix it has been issued? We can? Oh, goody!

Windows Defender esp. in v. 1903: [Related to WUS observation in original post]. Silent breakages that may come about after a Windows Update and end-users may not be aware of their existence and/or may not know how to fix them. Most recent example related to 1903:

I had this issue myself. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.