Status
Not open for further replies.

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Nobody tested or mentioned Forticlient v6.0? Supposedly, a hidden gem?

And if all these Av's have bugs which weaken protection or make them difficult to use, what are the alternatives? VS or OSA alone along with the Free ZoneAlarm Firewall or Windows Firewall for example?

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012

And if all these Av's have bugs which weaken protection or make them difficult to use, what are the alternatives? VS or OSA alone along with the Free ZoneAlarm Firewall or Windows Firewall for example?
Windows Defender...

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
All BD customers extremely satisfied with the newest relaese no reported posts: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
chrome_n3BDovGn27.png

Forum

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Just Windows defender..maybe augmented with malwarebytes

PS Windows defender is quite heavy!So....
No solution is perfect unfortunately:)

Thought the same.

What is interesting is some on MT dislike Malwarebytes for weak signatures reducing its effectiveness. I was using WD until recently because I disliked wading through multiple menus to find out was going on setting-wise and update wise, etc.

The only other AV that I can think of that is light, light is Webroot. I guess Webroot+OSA or VS+Windows Firewall is the answer?:) Or just don't use the PC:):).

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
In my book that's actually a pro. It's done for a reason.
It would be best if you were alerted about changes to the host file and asked if you want to restore it to default. For example, my VPN creates an entry in the host file and I would not want that to be removed. It even has the comment "#added by Windscribe, do not modify," so clearly it is needed.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
It would be best if you were alerted about changes to the host file and asked if you want to restore it to default. For example, my VPN creates an entry in the host file and I would not want that to be removed. It even has the comment "#added by Windscribe, do not modify," so clearly it is needed.
So am I reading this correctly in learning Bitdefender doesn’t play nice with certain VPNs, especially Windscribe which I sometime use, due to this host file issue?

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
So am I reading this correctly in learning Bitdefender doesn’t play nice with certain VPNs, especially Windscribe which I sometime use, due to this host file issue?
I don't use Bitdefender personally, but it would seem so. I guess that Windscribe would recreate its host file entry if it was deleted. But the point is, that I think it's a bad idea if an antivirus automatically removes entries to the host file. The host file can be modified by malware, but there are also legitimate reasons to modify the host file.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
The host file can be modified by malware, but there are also legitimate reasons to modify the host file.
Correct and this I actually can reply to :geek: but, when it comes to F-Secure it's not some odd bug or even a actual problem as they as many other security software vendors/companies include a " Exception/Exclude " feature , in F-Secure SAFE that's called Apps and File Control. More information from F-Secure about the Hosts file here.
How To exclude.
Malware example.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Correct and this I actually can reply to :geek: but, when it comes to F-Secure it's not some odd bug or even a actual problem as they as many other security software vendors/companies include a " Exception/Exclude " feature , in F-Secure SAFE that's called Apps and File Control. More information from F-Secure about the Hosts file here.
How To exclude.
Malware example.
This should not be an excuse. It's not like adding to exclusion is a new cool feature of F-Secure. Every AV has that. If you wanna modify my host file you better ask me before doing so. Beside, I already had my host file changed and install BD after so it had no right to change a critical file like that without asking me.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
This should not be an excuse. It's not like adding to exclusion is a new cool feature of F-Secure. Every AV has that. If you wanna modify my host file you better ask me before doing so. Beside, I already had my host file changed and install BD after so it had no right to change a critical file like that without asking me.
As I was curious enough, edited the Hosts file, rebooted and surprise surprise, Zero change by F-Secure. Will it happen later? I have no idea as I normally never edit the Hosts file. Never had the need but, I'll leave it alone a day or two and see what happens.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Sure, it's a feature, not a bug. My point still stands, that you should be asked before security software makes changes to the host file, as there are legitimate reasons to edit the hosts file. It would be different, if a modified hosts file was only ever created by malware, but this is not the case.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Sure, it's a feature, not a bug. My point still stands, that you should be asked before security software makes changes to the host file, as there are legitimate reasons to edit the hosts file. It would be different, if a modified hosts file was only ever created by malware, but this is not the case.
My test shows something very different, but I will not say it's final or 100% conclusive as I did see posts about it on F-Secures own community forum. I'll pull a few strings and see what I can find more. (y)

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
As I was curious enough, edited the Hosts file, rebooted and surprise surprise, Zero change by F-Secure. Will it happen later? I have no idea as I normally never edit the Hosts file. Never had the need but, I'll leave it alone a day or two and see what happens.
Actually, I don't know about F-Secure. I tested Bitdefender 2020 yesterday and it put # before every host names. F-Secure doesn't let me install it in Shadow Defender so couldn't test it.

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Forticlient's signatures are very solid, probably at the same level of Kaspersky's. And their web filter is excellent.
Unfortunately, they have released v.6.2 which is no longer free (you can still download v.6.0 for free)

jackwilli

Level 3
Verified
Jan 1, 2019
Forticlient's signatures are very solid, probably at the same level of Kaspersky's. And their web filter is excellent.
Unfortunately, they have released v.6.2 which is no longer free (you can still download v.6.0 for free)
It is free to use or trial version?

Reactions: upnorth

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.