Advice Request KSC Free performance issues

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I recently installed KSC Free, the first few days, I didn't feel any performance issues and it consumed very little memory 60-70MB in the background. It felt lighter than ESET in terms of RAM consumption, but as soon as I started using a resource intensive program such as Tableau the performance came to a crawl. I have an Intel i5 laptop, Intel HD 5500 with 8GB RAM, I run very few programs in the background.

I know that RAM consumption is not an indicator of performance, but the values showing in Task manager doesn't match with what's showing on Process Explorer by Sysinternals, are they deliberately showing lower values in Task manager?

p9z0kd1.png

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Are you using windows 10? If so try disabling " background apps" in setting> privacy. Upgrading your Hard disk to an ssd can dramatically improve your laptops performance. I really suspect your hdd is the bottle neck in your system.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
are they deliberately showing lower values in Task manager?
Almost all AVs does this. An AV like Kaspersky can't possibly do all the work with 40, 50 mb of ram. Ram usage would increase based on the program you're running, based on the task you're doing and also the available ram. Anyway, your value is too high and doesn't seem normal.

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
I have noticed an app delay. Steam starts after 10 seconds with KSC free. Now im back to Win Defender and there no Impact with Steam...ready in 4 Seconds. Another observation is the NAT Type in some games.he is limited with KSC free, but open with Defender :unsure:

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
I recently installed KSC Free, the first few days, I didn't feel any performance issues and it consumed very little memory 60-70MB in the background. It felt lighter than ESET in terms of RAM consumption, but as soon as I started using a resource intensive program such as Tableau the performance came to a crawl. I have an Intel i5 laptop, Intel HD 5500 with 8GB RAM, I run very few programs in the background.

I know that RAM consumption is not an indicator of performance, but the values showing in Task manager doesn't match with what's showing on Process Explorer by Sysinternals, are they deliberately showing lower values in Task manager?

p9z0kd1.png
The problem with your system is that it uses too much ram. It's definitely not from Kaspersky. Try this on your windows. Tutorial - How to slim Windows 10 and make it superfast And this

L

Local Host

Could be from the behaviour blocker, due to suspicious tasks from Tableau, other than that Kaspersky is only heavy when disinfecting malware.
Kaspersky use many private bytes
Hardly the likes of F-Secure have +400MB, plus that is reserved memory anyway, is not being used.
The Private Bytes counter indicates the total amount of memory that a process has allocated, not including memory shared with other processes.
That why it's called Private Bytes, if you guys wanna check on how much RAM a process is using WS Private Bytes is the most accurate metric (it shows what memory that process alone is using).

The Working Set shows shared memory usage, which will duplicate values like avp.exe already takes into account the avpui.exe values and probably other processes (is not showing the values of the avp.exe alone).

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.