Advice Request KSC v21 - Application Control not Available - Substitute?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Hehehe, not at all ;).

I have always been baffled as to why harlan constantly dismissed VS as overkill... It all makes sense now ;).
I think he only suggests that it's overkill when used with full security suites like Kaspersky, Bitdefender which are very capable themselves alone. Kaspersky more so as it has its wonderful Application Control. If someone use VS with combination with something like Windows Defender only then he doesn't say it's overkill. Some users often go even further by combining WD+Comodo FW+VS+Osarmor which is certainly overkill.

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
I think he only suggests that it's overkill when used with full security suites like Kaspersky, Bitdefender which are very capable themselves alone. Kaspersky more so as it has its wonderful Application Control. If someone use VS with combination with something like Windows Defender only then he doesn't say it's overkill. Some users often go even further by combining WD+Comodo FW+VS+Osarmor which is certainly overkill.
This might not always be the case, but either way, it genuinely cracks me up every time ;). I am just happy that harlan is going to evaluate different application control tech to see if perhaps one offers additional features and mitigations that are beneficial to the end user, and potentially base his future recommendations on his findings.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.