L502X modded bioses download (GPU voltages and more!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valentin N

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 25, 2011
All credits goes to capitankasar at forum.notebookreview.com

hi all, probably some of you noticed about the project started some time ago.

more info at this topic

http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/632899-modding-l502x-bios-project.html

and finally after some research and the help of other members, I was finally able to relase the first modded bios for the L502X

I think this is the first modded ever bios for this laptop model, not sure anyway.

here you can download currently modded bioses for your XPS 15 R2 (L502X)

note: some users using lower voltage moded bioses reported it fixed the crashes with the stock bios/clocks

the default voltages running with the stock dell BIOS are:

please note that 2D profile is asigned to iddle or low graphic needed task, like surfing, watch videos, very low demanding graphics games like NES emulators ..
and 3D profile is used for high graphics demanding apps, like most games.

following modded bioses include voltage changes for OC or cooler temps, choose the propper one for your needs.

remember to use the version for your card only, i mean to dont download 525m versions for 540m boards or 540m versions for 525m boards, if you flash the incorrect version you can find problems or get no voltage changes at all.

note: those modded bioses doesnt touch frecuency or clocks,they still running stock clocks, so if you are interested in overclocking/underclocking use software like MSI afterburner 2.10 after flash the modded bioses like I did

msi afterburner screenshot
msiafter.png

note: all following bioses has been tested by me and/or other forum members without major problem, anyway I dont get responsable of any bad flashes occuring by acidental AC/battery power lose, currupt downloads caused by unstable internet connections,flashing on another laptops or unsuported hardware and stuff like that, those bios are ONLY for the XPS 15 R2 (model number: L502X)

note: Common mistakes
some people get confused with underclock,undervolt,overclock and overvolt, take in mind those are different concepts.

I will explain them a little to clear any doubt.

dell-xps-15-l502x-1.jpg

if you want to check/verify the downloaded bios integrity is correct, you can use checksum apps like Md5Check to verify the RAR package integrity,if the posted checksum code and the checksum code obtained by the tool are identical,your download has been sucessfull, in most of cases, this process is unnecesary, however since bios flashing is not funny stuff, it help to prevent problems.

-------------------------------------------
only for gt525m card users
geforcegt525m.png

only for gt540m card users
geforcegt540m.png

-------------------------------------------

users marked as green color are the brave ones who tested the bios when no one tested it before.

reduced voltages help to reduce heat and power consumition, but can be unstable with very high clocks in most cases.

high voltages are more stable with higher clocks usually (not allways), but also take more power and heat.

I didnt made any changes at the clock or memory speed since every chip have different tolerances. so I suggest you download MSI afterburner 2.10 or any other overclocking software for the gpu and get the desired overclock for your card.

to monitorize the voltage,use nvidiainspector cause MSI afterburner works fine for everything else like temperatures, gpu and shaderprocessor and vmemory clocks, but dont monitorize gt525m or gt540m voltages (yet)

how to flash it:
just download the desired file, if you want to verify the checksum, use Md5Check and compare with the one posted with your desired download file. (the md5 checksum has been applied over the *.rar file)

once you ensured the file is OK,then extract it with winrar, and run the
FLASH_the_modded_bios.bat file.
flashxo.jpg

a cmd window prompt will be opened
flash2j.jpg

ask 'y' when it ask for it and then hit ENTER key,then you will have to confirm two dialog messages from winplash.
flashwx.png

flash2.png

then let the system restart and DONT TOUCH ANYTHING, if everything goes nice, the new bios will be start getting flashed after the reboot.
uefi.jpg

NEVER INTERRUPT THIS PROCESS or the chances your laptop will become an useless brick will be about 99%

to confirm that you are using the new bios, just enter at the setup utility, you should see the bios tittle has been changed.

a10rv.png

In this case I was testing a 525m bios mod.

and finally monitorize the desired voltages with nvidiainspector

78478495.jpg

In this case I got a 0.98v mod running on a gt525m.

remember you will get the iddle voltage by dont using any graphics app, and you will get the 3D/game voltage by alt+tabbing from the game or running it in a window.

if you are using my modded bios, leave feedback plz :)

I have also plans to replace the splash logo in future versions
and maybe rework at the setup utility by adding functionalities in the future.

special thanks to: jkbuha , AHMED HOSSAM , and all the people who helped me and/or followed the topic giving me hopes to acomplish this :)

Valentin N

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 25, 2011
pcjunklist said:
curious what this modded bios does that couldn't be done in NVIDIA System Tools?

As I understand it the main bios needs to be moddified in order to change the gpu's bios settings.

I am trying to see how I can undervolt my 540m on my Samsung as it's overheating.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
pcjunklist said:
curious what this modded bios does that couldn't be done in NVIDIA System Tools?

Same what I thought. You should be able to adjust the fan speed as well I think.

Valentin N

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 25, 2011
McLovin said:
pcjunklist said:

Same what I thought. You should be able to adjust the fan speed as well I think.

Most laptop run on their fan on full speed when the computer is on full load. HP have their Coolsense.

P

Plexx

Valentin N said:
Biozfear said:
Any info for a Dell XPS 17 using a GT 555M 3GB Nvidia card?

I will look. Are the temps for 555m? above 90C?

Would this help?

The screenshot shows the temp while the game is running. When the game is not running, for example watching a movie or any other thing, it switches automatically to onboard graphics instead of the nvidia 555m

http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Biozfear-s-Laptop

Valentin N

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 25, 2011
Biozfear said:
Valentin N said:
Biozfear said:
Any info for a Dell XPS 17 using a GT 555M 3GB Nvidia card?

I will look. Are the temps for 555m? above 90C?

Would this help?

The screenshot shows the temp while the game is running. When the game is not running, for example watching a movie or any other thing, it switches automatically to onboard graphics instead of the nvidia 555m

http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Biozfear-s-Laptop

That's very good temps. When the gpu is over 90C then you need to take action otherwise there no need for modifications.

P

Plexx

Ah ok cool, then I shall leave it for now :)
ps: that temp is with 2 game clients on.

Valentin N

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 25, 2011
Biozfear said:
Ah ok cool, then I shall leave it for now :)
ps: that temp is with 2 game clients on.
does matter; if this is the temps of fullload gpu then it's good. You could you furturmark to stress it at 100% and Prime95 for the cpu.

If you want more performance MSI Afterburner is what I recommend. Overclocking the gpu 15% is okey and you don't have to worry about the OC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.