Battle Laptop Recommendation (mild office use/ home use- options between HP vs Asus)

Maximum budget (USD)
$625
Compare list
Asus x1505z- oled, Asus m1603q, HP Pavilion Laptop 14-ec1003AU, HP LAPTOP 15S-EQ2182AU
Important factors
  1. Build quality and materials
  2. Price
  3. Performance
  4. Reliability
  5. Future-proofing

Ashish1+1

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 29, 2016
Hi, I am looking for new laptop ( not refurbished ) under 625 USD as hard stop (roughly INR 60000, as I am based out of India). Had narrowed down the choices between Asus x1505z- oled and Asus m1603q but my friend recommended to give HP a look- choices HP Pavilion Laptop 14-ec1003AU and HP LAPTOP 15S-EQ2182AU.

Features which I am personally looking for :

1. Fastest processor so that t remains relevant for decent number of years -within budget (but no heating issues)- no plan of overclocking, good power efficiency
2. Definitely inclined for 16 GB Ram (3200 MHZ) and can upgrade from 3200 MHZ to Higher speed as per requirement- even if laptop has 8GB ram would upgrade to 16GB
3. 512 GB SSD
4. 15 inch screen

Asus offers Noise cancellation which seems useful, loud speaker for video calls, good battery life ( no plans for gaming), Good build quality, sturdy keys/ touch pad, good airflow/ ventilation. I always think better hardware will always be beneficial in longer run so am looking forward to your insights

URL's for reference-
1. https://in.store.asus.com/m1603q.html
2. https://in.store.asus.com/x1505z-oled.html
3. HP Laptop 15s-eq2182AU
4. HP Pavilion Laptop 14-ec1003AU

I hope you can help me as i intend to purchase it within a month

Thank you very much in advance.

Andrezj

Level 6
Nov 21, 2022
of the ones you referenced, this hp model configuration has the best overall package

it has 400 nit screen
U model cpu runs with lower 25 wattage than H model at 45 wattage (but oem can lower wattage in thin laptop)
amd ryzen 7 5825U (close performance to amd ryzen 7 5800H)

this asus model has amd ryzen 7 5800H and higher wattage, but case is so slim case that thermally you will not be get full performance out of cpu, you will not tell difference between this one and one above in performance
only 300 nit screen

5800H looks 3% better on paper, but in real world you would not tell the difference

Ashish1+1

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 29, 2016
of the ones you referenced, this hp model configuration has the best overall package

it has 400 nit screen
U model cpu runs with lower 25 wattage than H model at 45 wattage (but oem can lower wattage in thin laptop)
amd ryzen 7 5825U (close performance to amd ryzen 7 5800H)

this asus model has amd ryzen 7 5800H and higher wattage, but case is so slim case that thermally you will not be get full performance out of cpu, you will not tell difference between this one and one above in performance
only 300 nit screen

5800H looks 3% better on paper, but in real world you would not tell the difference
I too am fond of HP Pavilion series, but the one in my budget is HP Pavilion Laptop 14-ec1003AU. :oops:

Although my heart does go for Noise cancellation feature and privacy shutter Asus presents.

Andrezj

Level 6
Nov 21, 2022
I too am fond of HP Pavilion series, but the one in my budget is HP Pavilion Laptop 14-ec1003AU. :oops:
it should perform well in typical everyday media consumption and office activities, the cpu will not handle intense loads such as running data macros

also that processor will not handle more than 1 virtual machine very well

8 GB ram is not enough even for just watching videos and office program use, you need 16 gb ram, what will happen with only 8 gb and lots of programs open is that you will have lots of writes to the page file on your ssd, in this day and age one antivirus and a browser will use 2 gb ram

you can lower cpu consumption by doing a clean install of windows to remove hp bloatware and managing programs that start when windows is loaded in the task manager
there are other tricks online to optimize windows, such as installing few programs

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
Avoid HP consumer line, it's terrible even on their higher end models such as the gaming ones.

On the other hand HP workstations (Zbooks and Elitebooks) and HPE are good quality.

Reactions: Nevi and Ashish1+1

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I believe in other members advice. I am gonna add one more thing. Do not buy a laptop that is made of plastic.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Based on your requirements, both Asus and HP have some great options to offer within your budget. Let's take a look at the options you mentioned:

Asus x1505z-oled and m1603q:
Both laptops seem to have impressive features, such as noise cancellation, good battery life, and solid build quality. However, it's important to note that these models feature AMD Ryzen processors, which may not be as powerful as Intel processors. They also have 8GB RAM by default, which can be upgraded to 16GB later on.

HP Pavilion Laptop 14-ec1003AU:
This laptop has an AMD Ryzen 5 processor, which is great for general office and home use. The 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD should provide smooth and speedy performance. It has a 14-inch screen, which is smaller than your preferred 15-inch but still a decent size.

HP Laptop 15s-eq2182AU:
This laptop also features an AMD Ryzen 5 processor, with 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD, like the HP Pavilion. It has a 15-inch screen, which is great for multitasking and watching videos.

Overall, both Asus and HP offer good options for your requirements. If you value noise cancellation and superior speakers for video calls, the Asus laptops may be a better option. However, if you prefer a larger screen and more powerful processor, the HP laptops are worth considering.

Reactions: jerzy601 and Jack

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.