F-secure Add-On for Firefox
Periodic malware scanners
ADW-Cleaner
Malwarebyte Anti-Malware free
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
The direct link to this ADD-ONs-collection (on mozilla.org): see below "NOTE A"

Anwendung: Firefox 46.0.1 (20160502172042)
Betriebssystem: WINNT (x86-msvc)

Einträge gesamt: 24

- ADB Helper 0.8.7
- Browsing Protection by F-Secure 2.163.4066
- Classic Theme Restorer 1.5.1
- Clean Links 2.7.1-signed.1-signed
- Context Search 0.6.4
- Extension List Dumper 2 1.0.1
- FindBar Tweak 2.1.9
- Firefox Hello 1.2.6
- LastPass 3.3.1
- Logitech SetPoint 6.5 (deaktiviert)
- Multi-process staged rollout 1.0
- Page Zoom Button 1.4.1.1-signed.1-signed
- Pocket 1.0
- S3.Google Translator 5.23
- Search by F-Secure 1.07.117 (deaktiviert)
- Speed Dial [FVD] - New Tab Page, Sync... 14.1.1
- Status-4-Evar 2015.11.16.23.1-signed.1-let-fixed
- Stylish 2.0.6
- Super Drag 0.15.1-signed.1-signed
- Tab Mix Plus 0.4.2.2
- Tab Scope 1.6.2.1-signed.1-signed
- uBlock Origin 1.7.0
- Valence 0.3.5
- Xmarks 4.3.18
Maintenance tools
no such software. Some months ago i had CC cleaner installed
File and Photo backup
FreeFileSync (to synchronize data on 2 external 2,5'' HDDs)
System recovery
ACRONIS True Image WD-edition, soon O&O DiskImage 10.5

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
hi guys!
OK, here are some various additinal security informations about my system. This configuration is "working" on my first (gaming-)Laptop (msi GE60-2PE, GTX 860M, i7) that i'm using as desktop replacement: at this time i dont have any desktop-PCs at home (anymore). I also have 2 other Laptops ("msi GT72-2QD" with GTX970, i7 and "Packard-Bell EN-TSX62-HR" with GT540M, i5): the configurations of these two machines will be soon/are already identic.

*) I'm using a standard Win7-User-Account for surfing/going online.
User Access Control: Standard User vs Protected Administrator
*) I dont have a local mail-client. I found an article some months ago: using Web-Mail
is much safer than using a local mail client

*) all PLUG-INs in Firefox have this setting: "ask if PLUG-IN should be activated on this site"
*) I want to install soon this ADD-ON: "lightbeam". But first i want to collect some informations
about this ADD-On before i install it.
Lightbeam for Firefox

Here are also some security links that i frequenlty use.

*) Checking malicious URLs and Files:
VirusTotal - Free Online Virus, Malware and URL Scanner
VirusTotal - Free service to analyze new samples - Page 4 - Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware, and Privacy Software

NOTE A:
here is the link to my ADD-ONs on mozilla.org:
basic collection A (year 2016) :: Sammlungen :: Add-ons für Firefox

see yahhh....!

LASER_oneXM .....live from EUROPE !

dJim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
lol too many addons on firefox ? :p .. will be good choice add zemana antimalware as demand scaner and active UAC.
What abouth update to windows 10 ?

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
lol too many addons on firefox ? :p .. will be good choice add zemana antimalware as demand scaner and active UAC.
What abouth update to windows 10 ?

hehe... :D I'm still missing some functions on firefox: i think i will install 4 or 5 new ADD-ONs.
Need some more productivity: there are still too many clicks when i'm working with firefox....
W10: I was often thinking about upgrading all my Laptops to W10. But W10 was a litte bit buggy in the past... so i will wait and see if W10 is stable enough. W7 ist still getting security patches (via Windows update) so i think i dont have to be worried......

UAC is a must. Also, consider one further on-demand (Zemana, Emsisoft, Crystal Security, etc).

OK, i will change the UAC to "maximum". I think "maximum" is the recomended level for all W7-Accounts? ...and i will install zemana to complete my security configuration

thx!

LASER_oneXM .......live from Europe!

Reactions: Logethica and dJim
N

Noxx

hehe... :D i'm still missing some functions on firefox: i think i will install 4 or 5 new ADD-ONs. need some more productivity: there are still too many clicks when i'm working with firefox....
W10: i was often thinking about upgrading all my Laptops to W10. But W10 was a litte bit buggy in the past... so i will wait and see if W10 is stable enough. W7 ist still getting security patches (via Windows update) so i think i dont have to be worried......

OK, i will change the UAC to "maximum". I think "maximum" is the recomended level for all W7-Accounts? ...and i will install zemana to complete my security configuration

thx!

LASER_oneXM .......live from Europe!

No one likes to have to use UAC, but the security it provides is more than worth the hassle. I guess if you don't visit any questionable websites or download frequently, you don't need full UAC, but for the sake of this being a malware prevention forum, it's recommended. You will like Zemana. Don't forget if you sign up for the beta, you get 90 days free premium.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Nice configuration, I understand that you need those extensions to make Firefox work efficiently.

Reactions: Logethica

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
hi

guys, thanks for all tips. UAC is "ON" again.
I have some troubles with Zemana and the "f-secure-DeepGuard" (see: "deep-guard-detection_zemana.jpg").
Translation: "DeepGuard has blocked an application, because its not very often in use"
I thought its a "false/positive": so i uploaded the portable file (beta version) and the installer (free version) to
VirusTotal - Free Online Virus, Malware and URL Scanner
File signatures were found, so i guess both files are abosutely safe...
There are some alternatives to zemana, but i don't know the exact names of this tools. Can you just post
the exact names of this tools? Should be easier: just install one of this programs and don't worry about zemana-F/P.... ;)

Zemana and UAC are very good to have. If F-Secure doesn't have built in exploit protection use. MBAE Free :)

I'm not sure if F-Secure has a build in exploit protection: i created a new thread with this question
in the f-secure community. So I just have to wait for an answer.....
In F-Secure there is an option to activate/deactivate "Warnings about applications exploits" (see: "F-SECURE_app_exploits.jpg"). But i'm not sure if this is the protection you mean......

thx a lot !

LASER_one_XM .......live from Europe!

Attachments

• deep-guard-detection_zemana.jpg
    deep-guard-detection_zemana.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 374
  • F-SECURE_app_exploits.jpg
    F-SECURE_app_exploits.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 392

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
It is definitely a FP so you can safely install ZAM - it is very common that some security tools can detect others as dangerous.
If you want to chose something else instead of ZAM then there are always some other reliable tools like HitmanPro, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Dr. Web CureIt!, TDSSKiller and Norton Power Eraser.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Hi
short summary:
*) ZAM is installed,
*) UAC is active again.

I got an answer from the f-secure community. F-Secure seems to have an build in protection: see link to my thread,
POST #02 (DeepGuard-whitepaper, pdf-file)
Internet security 2016 -built in exploit protection ? - F-Secure Community - 83445

I guess there is no additional software required in in my case....... ?

I have a question about the real-time protection when running several AV-tools at the same time on the same system.I have read that its not recomended to turn on the "real-time"-protection in every software. I think only "F-secure" should use this feature to avoid issues. In every other software (e.g. ZAM, Hitman Pro, etc) this feature should be disabled.

see yahhhh...!

LASER_oneXM ...live from EUROPE/Germany!

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Hi

my F-Secure licences will expire in december 2016. Kapersky has a quite good reputation therefore i'm thinking about changing my main AV-scanner. Kaspersky Total Security 2017 vs. Kaspersky Internet Security 2017: see link.
I decided to buy Kaspersky Internet Security 2017: i think the few additional features of Kaspersky Total Security 2017 are not really necessary....

My question:
I'm also running "adw-cleaner", "Zemana Anti Malware premium", "Malwarebytes Anti Malware free" as "on-demand" scanners. After installing Kaspersky 2017 on my systems: can i keep using this "on-demand" scanners together with Kaspersky or is it recommended to instal other (on-demand) products ?

thx a lot !
LASER

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Hi LASER..:)
I have not used Kaspersky myself,but I should think that you could use whichever "on demand" scanners that you wanted to.
My understanding is that "on demand" scanners can be used in conjunction with ANY "realtime" AV or "Security Suite".
As you have Zemana Premium,I should think that you could also run this as "realtime" alongside "Kaspersky" if you wanted to..
..as most Anti-Malware softs are designed to be able to run in realtime in collaboration with most AVs..

If you are worried about any possible "heaviness" of running both Kaspersky & Zemana together in realtime,then it may be worth my saying that in my experience Zemana still continues to make regular outbound connections even if the realtime protection is deactivated,so running it as realtime should not have a negative effect either on system resources or conflict with your AV.:)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.