Battle Lastpass Desktop or Extension?

Compare list
Lastpass Chrome extension, Windows desktop LP application.
In-depth Comparison

Nevi

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
How big is the difference on using a Lastpass extension on Chrome, or the Windows desktop LP application? When you use the desktop application it still include a Chrome extension? Wouldn't it be more secure to ditch the extension, and copy and paste the passwords from the desktop? Can it be used that way at all?

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
Lastpass support 2FA, isn't it? If so, then there's shouldn't be much of difference in terms of security if you have 2FA enabled.
I think the main difference is the desktop software support autofill on any apps. But it requires premium subscription if I remember correctly.
It's been a long time since the last time I use Lastpass so anybody please correct me if I'm wrong.

Reactions: Weebarra and Nevi

IkariGradius

Level 2
Verified
Jan 17, 2019
Hi,

LastPass doesn't work like some password managers such as 1Password or Dashlane, that have a desktop application connected and communicating with the browser extension. LastPass only use the browser extension.

They do however provide a desktop application for filling desktop application passwords, as you can see here, but it won't add any feature to your browser extension. They also have what they call the "LastPass Universal Windows Installer", that detects which browsers you have and install the extensions for those automatically. You can find all their extensions and applications on their download page.

To answer your question, you should stick with the extension, as it is how LastPass is designed to work. Also their desktop app isn't very good.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.