Latest Avast Update Blocks Users from the Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Thread author
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
The Internet is a dangerous place. We get it, Avast, but why do you have to block web access?

It seems that the latest Avast software update pushed on Wednesday is preventing web access for at least some devices running the latest version.

The company's support forum is also filling up with people complaining about the issue. It's unclear how widespread the problem is, but the Avast forums are full of people complaining about the issue.

Users have found away to get over the problem. According to people posting on the forums trying to help others in trouble, the only ways to go online after running the update feature is to disable the Web Shield, disable Avast completely or uninstall the software altogether. In fact, uninstalling and reinstalling a fresh copy on the device seems to be the best option at this point in time.

Read more: Latest Avast Update Blocks Users from the Internet

Last edited by a moderator:

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Experienced that issue too. With downloaded files disappearing after the browser is closed. Extremely buggy like always. And their firewall is always full of unresolved issues.They should remove it from their products and use the windows firewall like some other suites do.

Reactions: Winter Soldier

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
With downloaded files disappearing after the browser is closed.
I had this issue today, with Chrome, but I don't use Avast. I discovered that Chrome was ignoring the custom download location that I had specified, and was downloading to the default location instead. All the "missing" files were in there. Seems to be connected to the recent Chrome update.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
I had this issue today, with Chrome, but I don't use Avast. I discovered that Chrome was ignoring the custom download location that I had specified, and was downloading to the default location instead. All the "missing" files were in there. Seems to be connected to the recent Chrome update.
My problem was occuring with Pale Moon. Avast was blocking OpenVPN too. I don't know why, so the result was that no VPNs were functioning properly. Once Avast Internet security was uninstalled, everything was back to normal.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
It is so disappointing that Avast repeats some history; where issues occurred already due to blocked websites.

One of the reason why reputation can affect to the overall performance of a product.

Reactions: spaceoctopus
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.