Verified
Well-known
Apr 24, 2013
They still exist?
http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Yes it uses their own engine plus VIPRE AV engine.

It is like having a free version of VIPRE.

Thanks.:D

firestr001

Level 2
Jul 22, 2012
Dont use it.I have used it but sometimes Without updates realtime protection would be switched off and it causes a lots of problems.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I miss the old stand-alone scanner version.
The newer versions are a full anti-malware product, they add a bunch of system startup entries and services. It is basically useless trying to use as a on-demand scanner now since The VIPRE engine is not compatible with other AV's. However if you want a free version of VIPRE then it might be good option for you. I'm not a fan of VIPRE but some users really like it.

KelvinW4

Level 1
May 8, 2012
Well, you can install the compatible scanner mode which installs without the drivers so no conflicts but it will startup with your computer.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
KelvinW4 said:
Well, you can install the compatible scanner mode which installs without the drivers so no conflicts but it will startup with your computer.

There is only one install option which installs all components.
You can disable real-time protection features but the VIPRE drivers and services still cause conflicts with other real-time AV's.

There is no option to just install the on-demand scanner like the old versions of Ad-Aware had.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Earth said:
Wasn't that Ad-Aware 1.06 SE?

Littlebits said:
I miss the old stand-alone scanner version.

Yes I believe that was the last version before they added VIPRE.
It has been about 6 years ago. It used to be what Malwarebytes AM is today.

There was an option I think added in either 10.4 or 10.5

I remember reading how they was suppose to bring back the stand-alone scanner but things didn't work out because of the way the VIPRE engine works, it runs as a Windows service which is not compatible with many AV's. The only way I see this happening is for one they would have to drop the VIPRE engine and use another or two use cloud services provided by VIPRE which didn't require the services and drivers to be installed.

Back before VIPRE, Sunbelt was already having compatibility problems with their services and drivers for CounterSpy and it continued on with VIPRE after CounterSpy was discontinued.

The last time that I tried to install Ad-Aware/ VIPRE it would not install unless Malwarebytes was uninstalled first.

KelvinW4

Level 1
May 8, 2012
I had no problem running compatibility mode with Avast and Comodo, but I dont like how it runs on startup and also there is no folder exclusion so scans take very long...

Gorilla P

Verified
Jan 31, 2013
I thought this was really a pretty good free AV. RoboScan needs to refine itself a bit, but shows promise. Same thing with BitDefender Free. It's nice to have such a large list of good free AV's with good detection rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.