Aug 21, 2018
Operating System
  • Windows 10
  • Windows Edition
    Pro
    System Architecture
    64-bit
    Security Updates
    Automatic Updates with Paused Upgrades (up to 365 days)
    User Access Control
    Always Notify
    Network Security (Firewall)
    3rd-party Firewall app by a trusted vendor
    Device Security
  • Windows Defender SmartScreen (Windows 10)
  • User Account
    Administrator
    Sign-in Accounts
    Malware Testing
    None - No Malware on host PC or VM
    Real-time Web & Malware Protection
    Comodo Firewall & Netcraft
    Custom Settings For Real-Time Protection
    Custom - Minor changes for Increased Security
    Virus and Malware Removal Tools
    CCE w/ Killswitch, Zemana Antimalware, Norton Power Eraser & Emsisoft Emergency Kit
    Browsers and Extensions
    Browser: Opera (latest version) (default browser)
    Extensions: Nano Blocker & Defender, SingleClick Cleaner, Cookie Autodelete, Random User-Agent, Privacy Possum, CSS Exfil Protection, Auto History Wipe, Netcraft, Script Defender & i don't care about cookies.

Browser: Comodo Ice Dragon
    Extensions: Scriptsafe, uBlock Origin, ClearURLs, Behind The Overlay, Netcraft, Cookie Autodelete, Random User-Agent, Trace, Decentraleyes & CanvasBlocker

Browser: Firefox Quantum (not on current system)
    Extensions: NoScript, Decentraleyes, Cookie Auto Delete, Trace, uBlock Origin, IDN Safe, CSS Exfil Protection, ClearURLs, Skip Redirect, Smart Referer, Malwarebytes, BehindTheOverlay, Ghostery, Keyboard Privacy, CanvasBlocker, Netcraft & Random User Agent
    Web Privacy
    Nano Blocker & Defender, Decentraleyes, Cookie Auto Delete, IBM-backed Quad9 DNS , uBlock Origin, IDN Safe, Trace, ClearURLs & other web extensions
    Password Manager
    None.
    Web Search
    DuckDuckGo
    System Utilities
    O&OShutup 10, Defraggler, RevoUninstaller, SysHardener 1.5 (Evjl Rain settings) for additional system security and lockdown, procexp, Windscribe VPN Free 15GB plan, VLC Media Player, OpenOffice, 7zip, Virtual DJ Pro, CDBurnerXP, AOMEI Backupper Standard, Bleachbit, PrivaZer & Wise Care 365
    Data Backup
    AOMEI Backupper Standard
    Frequency of Data backups
    Weekly
    System Backup
    AOMEI Backupper Standard
    Frequency of System backups
    Regularly

HarborFront

Level 46
    Content Creator
    Verified
    Hi @LDogg

I know you are strongly in favor of using Netcraft. Have you read their privacy policy?

Netcraft | Privacy Statement

If you find Netcraft's privacy policy unacceptable you can use NoScript (for FF) which has XSS protection as well and add the necessary phishing filters in uBO. Also, Malwarebytes offers some protection against phishing too.

In addition, for FF, you can set DNS-over-HTTPS using Security Filter in CleanBrowsing DNS which blocks access to phishing, malware and malicious domains in the link below

Anti-phishing protection without Google Safebrowsing

CleanBrowsing phishing protection test is mentioned here

Phishing Protection — Comparing DNS Security Filters

Last edited:

LDogg

Level 28
    Verified
    Hi @LDogg

I know you are strongly in favor of using Netcraft. Have you read their privacy policy?

Netcraft | Privacy Statement

If you find Netcraft's privacy policy unacceptable you can use NoScript (for FF) which has XSS protection as well and add the necessary phishing filters in uBO. Also, Malwarebytes offers some protection against phishing too.

In addition, for FF, you can set DNS-over-HTTPS using Security Filter in CleaningBrowsing which blocks access to phishing, malware and malicious domains in the link below

Anti-phishing protection without Google Safebrowsing
    I'm fine with the Netcraft privacy policy. I feel their protection is strong enough to warrant it personally on this end.

I'll have a look at this DNS-over-HTTPS. However I cannot use any other DNS service due to connecting to a pubs wifi when DJing.

~LDogg

LDogg

Level 28
    Verified
    Updated: 21/08/18

Removed from Comodo Ice Dragon + Opera
    - Malwarebytes (slowing down browser startup and webpage, too many false positives)

Removed from system.
    - Immunet (i feel it provide insufficient protection for what I need, but was installed to test)

Installed software
    - MinerOff (testing)
    - Cybernetic Shade (for software & browser sandboxing)

Edit: Cybernetic shade collect too much info on installation so not installed.

~LDogg

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 26
    Content Creator
    Verified
    Updated: 21/08/18

Removed from Comodo Dragon + Opera
    - Malwarebytes (slowing down browser startup and webpage, too many false positives)

Removed from system.
    - Immunet (i feel it provide insufficient protection for what I need, but was installed to test)

Installed software
    - MinerOff (testing)
    - Cybernetic Shade (for software & browser sandboxing)

~LDogg
    Ice dragon you mean :emoji_thinking: Do you use hplist/pups?

LDogg

Level 28
    Verified
    I'm currently using CFW + Syshardener v1.5 + Netcraft/Scriptsafe (Comodo Icedragon/Opera) as my security setup. Mineroff is just in a test period so currently I will not include this within the setup currently.

Just wondering if there's anything out there which doesn't trample on OS Bootup time or resources.

Thanks for any replies.

~LDogg

Robbie

Level 27
    Content Creator
    Verified
    Depending on your CFW settings even SysHardener can be redundant. I think you're perfect to go, I wouldn't add anything else. You're locked down and if it works great and doesn't affect the performance, just make sure you have safe habits and you're good to go sir :)

LDogg

Level 28
    Verified
    Depending on your CFW settings even SysHardener can be redundant. I think you're perfect to go, I wouldn't add anything else. You're locked down and if it works great and doesn't affect the performance, just make sure you have safe habits and you're good to go sir :)
    Thank you, @RoboMan. I always have safe habits so not too bad on that end. :p

~LDogg

Reactions: Robbie

Robbie

Level 27
    Content Creator
    Verified
    Thank you, @RoboMan. I always have safe habits so not too bad on that end. :p

~LDogg
    Hehe, the statistics of getting infected with safe habits and general knowledge exist, but are minimum. As long as you have a script and ad blocker well configured, some app container and you know the Donny do's and don'ts, you should not have any issue. :)

Reactions: LDogg

LDogg

Level 28
    Verified
    Updated: 11/09/2018.

Disabled Windows Defender via group policy. I found WD to fairy memory & CPU heavy.

Removed MBAM Browser Extension from all web browsers.

~LDogg

Reactions: harlan4096

LDogg

Level 28
    Verified
    Minor update:

- Scanned full system with Zemana nothing found, but CPU usage is higher than normal. Idle should be 48% but floats upt to 54-58%, could be doing this as Window Defender is disabled.

zemana.png
    zemana.png

~LDogg