Leaked: Avast antivirus is selling highly sensitive web browsing data to the world's biggest companies

Dex4Sure

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
May 14, 2019
So the wan***rs that you are get caught, fess up, cough up an excuse and expect users to believe you and still download your crap ware? I'd rather user WD than this POS they call anti virus.

WD has been better than Avast for long time... WD is my preferred free AV and in fact my preferred AV out of all free or paid. Simply cause its integrated in the OS already and does not cause issues during larger feature updates. Once they introduce caching for their AV then I don't think there's any reason to use 3rd party AV's.

RKRN3

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Sep 6, 2019
WD has been better than Avast for long time... WD is my preferred free AV and in fact my preferred AV out of all free or paid. Simply cause its integrated in the OS already and does not cause issues during larger feature updates. Once they introduce caching for their AV then I don't think there's any reason to use 3rd party AV's.
What is caching that you want Defender to start doing?

Reactions: SunMan09
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

What is caching that you want Defender to start doing?
He means , WD scan the same files over and over in real-time, result is the latency when you open a folder full of files creating a serious impact on the system responsiveness.
Caching is a mechanism that discard previously scanned files and prioritize only the new ones, result is fastest scans and better responsiveness of the system.
This what WD lacks at the moment.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
This case from Avast, makes the spying case from Kaspersky(if it ever existed;)) look silly.There are some pretty serious points there. So much data siphoning, Avast is a real privacy threat. Its understood that you need some advertisement to maintain a free product.Well now...if it is only free users who are targeted?;)And what about their Vpn?A gold mine for tracking and data mining while making the user believe he has total anonymity.The perfect trap.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Makes me wonder if they got a warning.
In the case of a likely infringement, a warning may be issued. In the case of an infringement, the possibilities include: a reprimand or a temporary or definitive ban on the processing. In some countries, public bodies may also be subject to administrative fines.

RKRN3

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Sep 6, 2019
My IP, not my account, seems to be blocked by Avast forum mod as I stated some actual facts about this scandal. One of their uberevangelist still sides with them lol. he says he would still use it and don't care about the data already gone. I hope Avast is taken off its existence soon.
Edit 1: Unblocked now I think.

Last edited:

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
A good move from Avast to terminate jumpshot...well...if they were for the good of customers, why thet didn't terminate(evil) jumpshot before?!And it was done fast ;) $$$
Trust, once it's lost, it is difficult to get it back.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Trust, once it's lost, it is difficult to get it back.
That is assuming basic customers cared. Luckily for Avast , they don't. I can say the vast majority of people using Avast aren't even aware of this drama.
I just check with few (Average Joe) friends using it, reactions?

1- i wasn't aware, that is not very cool, but it is ok...
2- don't care, it is free,

that summed it all. LOL

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
That is assuming basic customers cared. Luckily for Avast , they don't. I can say the vast majority of people using Avast aren't even aware of this drama.

that summed it all. LOL
True:LOL:

Mountainking

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2018

that summed it all. LOL

The problem is word of mouth and techies advising friends to switch or not recommend avast at all in the first place. It will take time but their user base will be affected.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

The problem is word of mouth and techies advising friends to switch or not recommend avast at all in the first place. It will take time but their user base will be affected.
This will have little influence, honestly how many will make the switch, unless the said friends do it for them.
What will truly impact Avast will be Windows Defender, why install a 3rd party AV when you have already one?

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014

that summed it all. LOL
Pretty much. Average Joe is just sitting comfortably in his sofa drinking a cup of coffee unaware of what is happening in internet land.

With that said there is something Avast can't ignore and that is any possible legal repercussion their data harvesting could warrant. There are probably not going to get fined though.

I'm curious if after this scandal and removing Jumpshot will Avast consider keeping their free antivirus. I can imagine them removing their free antivirus.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

I'm curious if after this scandal and removing Jumpshot will Avast consider keeping their free antivirus. I can imagine them removing their free antivirus.
That is if they don't replace it or find some workaround, they may just make a clearer EULA or a popup saying people are agreeing to have their data collected, if not the installation won't continue.
Bet how many will stop the install? not the majority.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.