Privacy News Leaked NSA Malware Threatens Windows users around the world

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
I assume everyone and their dog has an arsenal to hack into Windows. Almost everyone uses Windows and it is not that secure, even Win 10.

For example, several months ago, Microsoft started installing apps to the PC (without the PC owners consent of course), can M$ guarantee these apps are virus free? Given malware is able to sneak into the Apple Store, forget about it.

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
I found it very "interesting" that a group of so-called hackers could hack into NSA's systems, to find Windows attacking malware on those systems (imagine picking them up by categories, like they were labeled, folders named conveniently like: "to all the hacker who hack us, this folder contains Windows XP, 7, 8, 8.1 malware - we also attached detailed user's manual for each on them, so you can learn how to use them"), and then to "leak" them to the world.

Think about it: who would use this kind of malicious software inside the NSA? Obviously IT experts. Did those experts got hacked? Really? Were they using ClamAV to protect donuts from disintegrating? I'm sure everything there is so top secret, that the use of closed networks for them is just like breathing air for us.

And what are they saying? That an older OS is more vulnerable than a newer OS? Of course it is, they had time to tear to pieces the old ones. What's new? There's a word for this: "bullsh*t". But I personally can't find the bull in it.

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
I found it very "interesting" that a group of so-called hackers could hack into NSA's systems, to find Windows attacking malware on those systems (imagine picking them up by categories, like they were labeled, folders named conveniently like: "to all the hacker who hack us, this folder contains Windows XP, 7, 8, 8.1 malware - we also attached detailed user's manual for each on them, so you can learn how to use them"), and then to "leak" them to the world.

Think about it: who would use this kind of malicious software inside the NSA? Obviously IT experts. Did those experts got hacked? Really? Were they using ClamAV to protect donuts from disintegrating? I'm sure everything there is so top secret, that the use of closed networks for them is just like breathing air for us.

And what are they saying? That an older OS is more vulnerable than a newer OS? Of course it is, they had time to tear to pieces the old ones. What's new? There's a word for this: "bullsh*t". But I personally can't find the bull in it.

My guess is that it was an inside job, either a disgruntled ex-employee, remember they recruit some of the best hackers in the world, or perhaps someone that is still working there who sees what the NSA is doing to the American people and in good conscience had to expose them thus gave the outside hackers the information they needed to hack, where and what to look for.

JohnBRogers

Level 1
Verified
Dec 6, 2016
I don't buy the story of NSA actually being hacked, no matter if the hack was an inside or an outside job.
Also, I'm not totally sure it's MS' way to "force" people to switch to Win10.

I think this kind of "attacks" will happen more often in the future for a few reasons.
Hackers have to be criminalized to the max if government want's to be in complete control of the citizens. Remember, not all hackers do what they do just for money and there are some secrets all the governments in the world want to hide from their people and international attention.
In the future, there won't be traditional warfares, and with regular people doing what NSA (or similar) wants, there's a greater chance to weaponize greater population.
Also, this is the great way for the agencies to gain unlimited access to each person's private space under the cloak of protection and national safety.

Reactions: Amelith Nargothrond

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Microsoft were definitely tipped off, no company could possibly no, then patch Government zero-day malware. It's not called zero-day for a joke. But well done to Trump and the US Government for not responding, nor giving these guys a huge platform. But look to Obama for a source to blame, it happened under his Presidency.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.