Libre Office or Microsoft Office

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
after reinstalling my system from scratch, added all my security softs and vital programs, i just need now to install an office suite.

I was used to use MS office 2010 but its super heavyweight (around 2.75gb for the full install and 1.75gb just for Outlook and Word...) made me thinking to replace it by Libre Office (around 900mb full install if my memory is good, but only x86).

What do you think of it?

note: i use mostly Word and Publisher (and sometimes Powerpoint) with MS Office.

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
I haven't tried Libre Office. And my version of Microsoft Office is 2007.
But I used Kingsoft Office a little bit. It has a paid and free version (free version doesn't have the 2007, 2010 theme) it has Writer, PowerPoint, and Excel. So just a suggestion for now.

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
Try free Kingsoft office 2012 (only 37mb) and you wont be disappointed
http://www.kingsoftstore.com/kingsoft-office-freeware.html
Thanks

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
I am open to any lighter clone of MS Office, how big is Ks Writer's disk space usage?

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
umbrapolaris said:
I am open to any lighter clone of MS Office, how big is Ks Writer's disk space usage?

On their website (http://www.kingsoftstore.com/windows/compare-two-free-office.html ) that that the size is 82.5MB. And 120 MB of hard drive space after installation.

P

Plexx

Thread author
LibreOffice does work on 64bit. I used to use on my system and still use on the other system, while I use MS on my own now.
I am using the student edition since I don't need Outlook.

If you want to make the switch, highly recommend LibreOffice. Also it is more updated than OpenOffice.org (see another thread for the discussion between LO and OO)

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
ok, just check Kingsoft Website, it seems good, i will give it a try.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Have used Microsoft Office for a while and works like a charm, but might again come down to personal preference.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
yes, me too, but it is to heavy for what i need.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
As a long time user of Linux, I'd say that you should go with LibreOffice.
Since it's Open Source, bugs can be fixed quicker and updates are free.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
If you only need the basic you can use cloud apps. Google apps is free and will open word and excel files, both older (.doc) and new (docx.) You can also use hotmail which offers word,excel,powerpoint, and onenote 2010 for free. You create the file online and you can download it on any of your devices that can open office documents. best of all your not using system resources on either one and they are both free

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
MSO is probably the best Office suite around, you won't get any better than that.

#1 software for word processing.

P

Plexx

Thread author
LO did come close to MSO, we have to give them that!

But if Umbra is looking for specific modules, word processor for example as a standalone, Abiword would do.

If you want something cloud, you can use MS web apps at http://skydrive.live.com/

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
just try Kingsoft Office free, it is what i looked for, it is really a clone of Office, my Word's files opened in it without any formating correction from me opposed to Libre office where i need to correct some tables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.