JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
I just got a new laptop and I'm wondering what is the better choice to replace Office with a free software, Libre Office or Open Office that is the question ?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Microsoft Office 365 is the de-facto standard. It's cheaper than Netflix.

LibraOffice 7 vs 6 - You will need to decide whether you are a power user, and require the newest of features.

This article was last updated in December 2020:

Last edited:

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Microsoft Office 365 is the de-facto standard. It's cheaper than Netflix.

LibraOffice 7 vs 6 - You will need to decide whether you are a power user, and require the newest of features.

This article was last updated in December 2020:
Hello @Spawn
Thanks+++
You are right Microsoft Office 365 is not very expensive and I got Netflix for free with my Internet Box :cool:
So I will choose Microsoft Office 365 for only 55.50 € Microsoft 365 Personnel | Téléchargement | PC ou Mac | 1 personne: Amazon.fr: Logiciels and try to replace the old Office versions I'm currently using (2007 and 2013 twice). And with 1 To for OneDrive backup ;)

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
I don't need a professional suite so FreeOffice is enough for me.
Agree, their paid products are also worth it IMO.
Not sure if you can still get an upgrade as FreeOffice user (it worked with SMO Pro 2012, have since then upgraded from my first paid upgrade to 2018 and 2021, with upgrades also), might be worth checking, saves quite some money.

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
I prefer OpenOffice to LibreOffice but mostly use WPS Office. I've got OpenOffice, recently updated to v4.1.8 installed too. I find OpenOffice retains a document's formatting more faithfully between office suites than LibreOffice, particularly with spreadsheets. I don't need extensive bells & whistles on my office suite.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Depends on your usage.
I rarely need Office so i use Windows internal WordPad and Editor.
But also Notepads from Windows Store.

Anyway i advise against OpenOffice. LibreOffice is the successor but LibreOffice is also very slow and buggy so keep that in mind.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
WPS Office has the best compatibility for Office docs, has a similar layout like MS Office and supports all in one tabs for Spreadsheet, Presentation, Word and PDF documents. It also has most of the features that MS Office provides, at-least all the ones that a home user require at a free price. In my opinion it has better UI compared to MS Office.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I've only had experience with LibreOffice and it works quite well. The UI leaves a little to be desired, but you can tweak that a bit to make it look better. I know for the Linux version it saves by default in .odf. I am not sure if this is the same for Windows, but if it is you can change that in settings so it saves in .docx, xlsx, etc... by default. There is another one called FreeOffice that works/looks a lot like the current versions of MS office.

Another option to consider would be the web versions of MS office? I it doesn't have all the advanced features of the dedicated Office suite, however if all you need is the basic functions then you could also try using that instead. It will provide the best compatibility of all of these, it's free and from a security standpoint much better as it's all hosted in the cloud instead of on your computer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Papyrus has a little learning curve, but does offer a modest grammar check in the free version which is nice. Papyrus gets my nod.

If you don't want to bother learning Papyrus, anyone who needs a quick word processor can't go wrong with Atlantis. It's stable, fast, and pretty nice. I do use it for some things. Both can save in Doc or Docx format.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.