JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
I just got a new laptop and I'm wondering what is the better choice to replace Office with a free software, Libre Office or Open Office that is the question ?

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
I've got Office 2007 Enterprise on CD somewhere. Had it on this machine until a couple of weeks ago. Nothing wrong with 2007, unless you're someone who needs the latest and greatest to help keep Microsoft's bank account fat.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Nothing wrong with 2007, unless you're someone who needs the latest and greatest to help keep Microsoft's bank account fat.
It stopped receiving security updates in October 2017, which means it's less secure than more recent versions of Office.

Reactions: Cortex and Venustus

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
I've got Office 2003, too. I'd use it but it has problems with the new version of Win 10, at least on this laptop. I actually prefer Word 2003 to any of them. Microsoft loves trying to scare people into upgrading. It makes them rich.

Reactions: Cortex and Venustus

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
I've never seen any examples of that. It just makes sense to use vulnerable software that receives security updates. That's why it's not a good idea to use XP, Vista, Windows 7, or unsupported versions of Office.
Most of my software is old, except for WPS Office, the latest Comodo Firewall, and now Win 10. I use it, including an over decade old version of Adobe Photoshop, because it works and I know how to use it. I've also got a second laptop still running Vista. With good security, I'd say it's as safe to use online as any other.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
On a personal basis I wouldn't use Office 2007 (I have it on disc) especially Outlook which is fully net dependant, not seen any calamity befall 2007 users but connecting 14 year old ancient & unsupported software to the internet isn't my thing.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Thanks for the feedback. @Telos, I have Microsoft 360 but I'm always interested in alternatives.
I have Microsoft 365 Home. I treid Google Docs, LibreOffice and SoftMaker Office, and I can say that Softmaker office is a very decent alternative to MS Office and it is cheap and worth the little fee they ask for. They often offer 1 year free.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
I have Microsoft 365 Home. I treid Google Docs, LibreOffice and SoftMaker Office, and I can say that Softmaker office is a very decent alternative to MS Office and it is cheap and worth the little fee they ask for. They often offer 1 year free.
Softmaker.........forgot to mention them. They're a very good product, at least the last time I tried them a couple of years ago. I would rate them above LibreOffice and certainly way above Google Docs.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Softmaker.........forgot to mention them. They're a very good product, at least the last time I tried them a couple of years ago.
But they should really work on marketing, for starters, they still call it Free Office 2018. That makes it sound, that it is obsolete, even though it was last updated on November 2020.

You can even make a legal portable copy from within, unlike WPS, but they also do not advertise it much. :confused:

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
I've heard of OnlyOffice but never tried them. After seeing your post, I did a search and it appears it's documents and presentations work very well with M$, better than LibreOffice or OpenOffice. Doc and Presentation are the parts I use. Might download their desktop version and give it a spin.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.