Advice Request Lifetime license

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

ng4ever

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
I have 2 lifetime licenses for Malwarebytes Pro should I use them ? I know stupid question.

Just stopped using it because it had a conflict with my Macrium Reflect imaging software a long time ago. :(

Don't worry I found a different solution for a malware scanner but now I feel like changing again. I don't know why.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
It depends on what your security setup is. Malwarebytes is not a good enough solution to be used standalone. And it does not do well in terms of performance (and likely conflicts) with other AVs.
Is it ransomware protection interfering with Macrium? You can always set exclusions. Just go to 'allow list' and exclude the macrium folder from their detection.
There are a quite some opinions and experiences here and there...
The question you should ask yourself is - was it working well for you with your overall setup? Then you might want to keep it as a complementary. Otherwise keep it just as an on-demand scanner and use their browser extension that does a great job at blocking sources of stuff they're really good at blocking.

ng4ever

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
It depends on what your security setup is. Malwarebytes is not a good enough solution to be used standalone. And it does not do well in terms of performance (and likely conflicts) with other AVs.
Is it ransomware protection interfering with Macrium? You can always set exclusions. Just go to 'allow list' and exclude the macrium folder from their detection.
There are a quite some opinions and experiences here and there...
The question you should ask yourself is - was it working well for you with your overall setup? Then you might want to keep it as a complementary. Otherwise keep it just as an on-demand scanner and use their browser extension that does a great job at blocking sources of stuff they're really good at blocking.

Good info!

No I don't think the ransomware protection interfering with Macrium it was something else. I forgot. Sorry. :(

Does Malwarebytes work with MS Defender well or is that disabled when Malwarebytes is installed ?

I did not know they had a browser extension and it worked so well.

Mar 7, 2020
Good info!

No I don't think the ransomware protection interfering with Macrium it was something else. I forgot. Sorry. :(

Does Malwarebytes work with MS Defender well or is that disabled when Malwarebytes is installed ?

I did not know they had a browser extension and it worked so well.
I believe MBAM disables WD. There's probably some way to get them to co-operate. I belive you can make it so that MBAM doesn't show up in the security window(settings), and then activate WD from there.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
There's exclusion available for multiple modules
1587537453251.png
While allowing a file or folder under Exclusion rules, choose how you would like to exclude either
  • Exclude from all detections
  • Exclude from detection as malware or potentially unwanted item only
  • Exclude from detection as ransomware only
Quoting from MB forum -
While Malwarebytes alone should be sufficient even without a secondary antivirus, the two should be fully compatible. I suspect that Windows disabled Defender because it saw that another AV/AM app had been installed and had registered as virus protection with Security Center/Action Center. You should be able to change a setting in Malwarebytes to get Defender to activate itself again. Just open Malwarebytes and go to Settings>Application and under the section for Windows Action Center, configure Malwarebytes to never register with the Windows Action Center, then restart your system and you should then have both Malwarebytes and Windows Defender fully functional.
1587537379379.png

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I haven't used it as real-time since long, so I may not be able to suggest a complementary AV.
However I would recommend you post your Security Configuration here and also refer to/create thread at other forum sections like battlefield to get specific insights :)

You could try out standalone suites like Kaspersky, Bitdefender, ESET, Norton. You can configure WD with ConfigureDefender. If you want to go an extra mile (and are sure about handling it) you can learn about WD+HardConfigurator, Voodooshield alongside an AV, OSArmor alongside an AV, Sandboxie alongside an AV, SysHardener for one-time use etc.

ng4ever

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
I haven't used it as real-time since long, so I may not be able to suggest a complementary AV.
However I would recommend you post your Security Configuration here and also refer to/create thread at other forum sections like battlefield to get specific insights :)

You could try out standalone suites like Kaspersky, Bitdefender, ESET, Norton. You can configure WD with ConfigureDefender. If you want to go an extra mile (and are sure about handling it) you can learn about WD+HardConfigurator, Voodooshield alongside an AV, OSArmor alongside, Sandboxie alongside an AV, SysHardener for one-time use etc.

Ok no problem!

I do currently use Windows 10 Pro as a limited user (non admin) so I know that helps a lot.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
@ng4ever I think malwarebytes as a standalone will do just fine. It has always been a hot topic, but its mature enough to be used as a standalone product. If you focus on ''independent tests'', well you will say MB Prenium is bad.All products don't respond the same way to tests and some focus more on blocking at the network level, others focus more on behavioral techniques, others on AI and so on.
I've myself been using it as a standalone product for quite some time now, since the 3.0 version came out and never got an infection(i work with mails daily). Its one of the only product, with ESET, which blocks a wide and complete range of nasties from the internet. Agressive against malwares, same with PUps and malvertising campaigns that help you keep your Pc clean. Not focusing only on malwares and letting a lot of ads and pups get through, like some other products. Its not the best product, but it will protect your Pc.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
It has always been a hot topic, but its mature enough to be used as a standalone product. If you focus on ''independent tests'', well you will say MB Prenium is bad.All products don't respond the same way to tests and some focus more on blocking at the network level, others focus more on behavioral techniques, others on AI and so on.
Good to hear of a positive experience. While MB should be sufficient as a standalone program on paper, it might not provide as strong and well-rounded protection that some established suites provide.
If you see AV-Test report on MB (they decided to participate lately) it did fairly good for the upgrade it has been through. However, it did not fare well against zero-days they tested. That's one testing that puts all layers of protection to test as in real world.

@ng4ever if you'd tried MB years ago as you said, I guess it was the old MBAM version and not the new MB. The newer one has gotten heavier as it has suited up.

Protomartyr

Level 7
Sep 23, 2019
I'm running Windows Defender + Hard_Configurator + Malwarebytes Premium (also have a lifetime license). I haven't noticed any slowdowns or performance issues with this setup. This is on an i5 Haswell laptop with 8 GB of RAM. I'm a big fan of Malwarebytes' Web Protection module.

I use Macrium Reflect without any problems.

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
the anti-exploit feature likely didn't like your Macrium imaging. there are settings within the anti-exploit module that would likely fix that. it is a bit heavy so I turn off the real-time malware protection (cuz I use it as complementary protection - which is likely why it is heavy, lol), and just leave the anti-exploit, anti-rootkit, and web protection on. that makes it a bit lighter. i have the life time lic (and this thing is $40/ year otherwise), so I use it. and it is well maintained, and a growing company. in the future, they will likely add a firewall to it seeing as they bought `enhanced windows firewall control' (a program I liked).

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I also have a lifetime license of Malwarebytes Premium. I'm running Windows Defender and Hard_Configurator. I notice a slight performance slowdown each time I install MP so after a few days, I uninstall it. I have two second opinion scanners to check my computer once a week and they rarely find anything. So I feel WD+H_C is enough. For now!
I've also tried Malwarebytes Browser Guard on Chrome. It took 3 seconds for Chrome to load With TrafficLight, it's one second. Bye bye Malwarebytes....
On my previous setup, I had WD+ Configure Defender+ Comodo Firewall. I tried to add MP...not a good idea.....

Last edited:

scorpionv

Level 2
Apr 20, 2020
I do use Malwarebytes as a second realtime protection, next to my regular virus scanners (Avira atm). On slower computers no, MBAM is a resource hog.

The best thing about MBAM is the usability for digital illiterates, while adding an extra layer of protection. This does not justify the yearly fee in my opinion, but price/performance is good enough for a lifetime license. So if any of you guys have spares laying around, I'll be happy to take 'm of your hands ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.