Light + efficient suite

Lindrian

Thread author
Sep 8, 2011
Hey

Just un-installed kaspersky because i find that it is too demanding on my system, even if I have a state of the art computer. I want a really lightweight suite that will properly protect me.

Do you have any tips? It does not have to be free.

Nathan Wootton

Level 1
May 25, 2011
Lindrian said:
Hey

Just un-installed kaspersky because i find that it is too demanding on my system, even if I have a state of the art computer. I want a really lightweight suite that will properly protect me.

Do you have any tips? It does not have to be free.

well i'd say these are my fav, ive pretty much had them all

1.Norton 12 or 11

2.Comodo 5.8

AV-Comparatives Performance Test Chart - http://malwaretips.com/Thread-AV-Comparatives-Performance-Test-Anti-Virus-December-2011
8sYK5.png

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
FREE version with HIGH detection rate is Avira, secondly is Avast.
PAID version with HIGH detection rate is Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6.
Avira, Avast, and EAM 6 can be combined with Comodo firewall or Online Armor.

for prevention in paid version Emsisoft Internet Security Pack
** Combine: for prevention in FREE version Comodo firewall with Avast free (Sometimes computer users still confused how to use comodo firewall, another alternative is Online Armor Free)

all the products I mentioned above is low usage of RAM.

hope I help you. thanks :)

D

Deleted member 178

you can also use Panda Cloud AV ( free or paid for more features). I found it very effective for a such small ram usage.

Panda CAV + Comodo FW is a very good combo.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Real Time Protection:
If you are looking for a light and good security config , start first by trying CIS 5.8 (FREE ) or NIS 2012 (PAID) ... Both have some interesting security features which should give you a high degree of security....

1. Comodo Internet Security - Download CIS 5.8
    OR
  2. Norton Internet Security 2012 - Download 90 day FREE trial

Additional on-demand scanner:

Hitman Pro (Trial) - link
An on-demand scanner using multiple anti-malware engines and cloud technology. It offers unlimited free scanning but once you use it to remove detected malware it switches to a 30-day trial version. I recommend using it after you've scanned your hard-drive with the other products you have installed.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free (Free) - link
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free utilizes Malwarebytes powerful technology to detect and remove all traces of malware including worms, trojans, rootkits, rogues, dialers, spyware and more.

Additional browser plugins
Adblock Plus for Google Chrome (Free) - link
Adblock Plus for Google Chrome is a content-filtering extension for Google Chrome. Adblock allows users to prevent page elements, such as advertisements, from being downloaded and displayed.

LastPass (Free) - link
LastPass is an online password manager and form filler that makes web browsing easier and more secure.

WOT (Free) - link
To help you avoid malicious sites you can use Web of Trust (WOT) a website rating browser plugin. After you add it to your browser make sure you only visit websites rated "Green" by WOT

Extra protection:
EMET 2 (Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit) (Free) - link
EMET provides users with the ability to deploy security features built into Windows to arbitrary applications. This helps prevent vulnerabilities in those applications from successfully being exploited. DEP, SEHOP and ASLR are such security features, if you want to learn more about what they do, you can watch this video from Microsoft TechCenter. To configure EMET you should follow this guide by rationallyPARANOID.

VTUploader (Free) - link
To upload a file to VirusTotal, you can visit the main analysis site, click the Browse button to select a file from your hard drive, and then click the Send file button. You can make this process even easier with the free VirusTotal Uploader utility. After installing it, you can simply right-click any file under 20MB and choose "VirusTotal" from the Send To Windows menu. The scan results will display in your browser as usual.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Use Sandboxie with something like MSE or Avast free version. I don't know what you know about SBIE but all that I ll tell you now is that it works better than any combined security setup in keeping your PC clean of unknown threats. The antivirus can help with threats that are known.

The old saying "Speak softly and carry a big stick", describes Sandboxie as it is extremely lite but IF used properly, it has more power than any application that I know of.:cool:

Bo

P

Plexx

As some users have already said:
Free Security Suit which I recommend the most is Comodo Internet Security.

Paid Security Suit you could go with Norton Internet Security 2012 or VIPRE Internet Security 2012.

Additional software for your config:

I noticed you have not mentioned any backup utility. If you do not have any you can use one of the free ones:

*Paragon Backup & Recovery 2011 Free;
*EaseUS Todo Backup Free 3.5;
*Macrium Reflect Free.
Note that Paragon cannot make a WINPE boot disk unlike EaseUS Todo; but it is still fine. I personally prefer Paragon.

Consider adding the following tools:

Additional Real Time Protection:
*Panda URL Filter (google Panda Toolbar, Install Panda Toolbar and then Remove the Panda Toolbar) - I am unsure if you can use Panda URL filter along with NIS2012 or VIPRE 2012 though.

Unlocking software for stuck applications (freeware):
*Unlocker 1.9.1 (64bit edition).

Password Manager (already mentioned by Jack):
*Lastpass.

Registry Defrag (freeware):
*Quicksys RegDefrag.

HDD Defrag (freeware):
*Auslogics Disk Defrag;
*Puran Defrag;
*Smart Defrag.

Uninstaller:
*Revo Uninstaller PRO (if you want to pay for it - supports 64bit architecture).
*Your Uninstaller (there is a free trial and supports 64bit architecture according to the website)
*If not, stick to Windows's default uninstaller.

System Utilities (freeware):
*Advanced SystemCare 5 Free;
*CCleaner.

Toolbox for USB or external hard drive:
*Kaspersky TDSSKiller;
*Comodo Cleaning Essentials (CCE);
*Hitman Pro;
*Malware Bytes Anti-Malware (free version);
*GMER;
*Norton PE;
*Sysinternals Suite;
*Emsisoft Emergency Kit;
*Advanced System Care 5 Free.

Boot Disks for maintenance:
*Hiren's Boot;

Lindrian

Thread author
Sep 8, 2011
I don't need something thats light on ram, I need something that is FAST and QUICK and does not interrupt processes and slow them down too much. Say when im browing my files, or unraring or just surfing the web.

I have 12GB ram so there's no issue on that end. Which of all the recommended softwares will do what I ask above best (with detection rate and all that considered)?

P

Plexx

Best word of advice then is:
Grab VMware Player or Oracle VirtuabBox, install an image of your OS and test the following suits:

ESET Smart Security 5;
Norton Internet Security;
Comodo Internet Security;
VIPRE Internet Security;
AVIRA Internet Security;
AVAST;
BitDefender Internet Security;
Bullguard Internet Security.

Do a manual full and quick scan for each product, write down the time it took and also see while opening applications and surfing the web if it slows down a bit.

Lindrian

Thread author
Sep 8, 2011
biozfear said:
Best word of advice then is:
Grab VMware Player or Oracle VirtuabBox, install an image of your OS and test the following suits:

ESET Smart Security 5;
Norton Internet Security;
Comodo Internet Security;
VIPRE Internet Security;
AVIRA Internet Security;
AVAST;
BitDefender Internet Security;
Bullguard Internet Security.

Do a manual full and quick scan for each product, write down the time it took and also see while opening applications and surfing the web if it slows down a bit.
If I only had the time to do something that extensive... :)

P

Plexx

Well I am sure you can spare about 30 mins or so a day to test some of them.

We can only give you advice.

You can choose between ESET, Norton and Comodo.

Those are my favourites.

Lindrian

Thread author
Sep 8, 2011
biozfear said:
Well I am sure you can spare about 30 mins or so a day to test some of them.

We can only give you advice.

You can choose between ESET, Norton and Comodo.

Those are my favourites.
I went with ESET. I have a 6 month subscription for them, let's see how it goes.

Funny though, the rule-list for ESETs HIPS is empty... Interesting.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Yes, they have just added this feature so don't expect it to be that great http://malwaretips.com/Thread-ESET-5-is-officially-released?pid=24464#pid24464 . ESS is a suite built for the average user so ESET didn't really built a solid HIPS as this would have generated some alerts that could have confused the regular users........
ESS 5 is a light and good suite , it has a good antivirus and web guard and it should keep you safe....from my point of view they are a few steps back on NIS or CIS but if you practice a smart online behavior and add to your system additional layers of protection besides the real-time one you should be ok.
Did you install any on-demand scanners?
Browser plugins?

P

Plexx

For ESET HIPS on both ESET AV and ESET Smart Security, you will need to change the default HIPS settings into Learning mode for a couple of days, use the applications you need to use etc and then change to Interactive mode.

Unless you want to manually configure each rule one by one, that is the best approach.

The default HIPS settings were first reported by Languy99 on the ESET Smart Security 5 beta video, then on the final video and I also reported here on the forums.

In terms of RAM usage, ESET will not be a problem to your pc due to your hardware and you will not really notice any slow downs during scans.

If you are looking for a strong HIPS, then Comodo Internet Security is your answer.

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
i would have asked you to try comodo,but you already installed eset,i did try eset,but personally for me the best security suite for 2011 are comodo internet security suite and norton internet security suite,they are lightweight suite :)

D

Deleted member 178

I would add panda cloud also. It has good abilities for a very few resources usage.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
I would add panda cloud also. It has good abilities for a very few resources usage.

Surely you're not saying to add Panda Cloud alongside ESET?

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
umbrapolaris said:

The only thing that Panda can bring into this config is DETECTION.... which isn't really need it as ESS 5 is a top-notch software when in comes to detection... :shy:

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Hej och varmt välkommen :) (i had to say it in swedish, sorry ^^)

I can say that CIS 5.8 is very light and very solid. I have it on my system and I don't even know it's there.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.