Advice Request Lightest complete suite

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

L

Local Host

Lots of suggestions for F-Secure, despite that product having known issues with false positives in games due to DeepGuard (to the point the games don't even launch, with no warnings from F-Secure).

Means is a horrible suggestion in a Gaming Rig for an average user, my vote goes for Kaspersky is as light as ESET nowadays and is pretty much install and forget (ESET itself is a bad solution for an average user, is not install and forget and needs proper setup to protect the user).

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Lots of suggestions for F-Secure, despite that product having known issues with false positives in games due to DeepGuard (to the point the games don't even launch with no warnings from F-Secure).

Means is a horrible suggestion for a Gaming Rig for an average user, my vote goes for Kaspersky is as light as ESET nowadays and is pretty much install and forget (ESET itself is a bad solution for an average user, is not install and forget and needs proper setup to protect the user).

I am a gamer with a Ryzen 3000 and a RTX Super and I didnt find any false positives in games or launching problems while using F-Secure Safe.

L

Local Host

I am a gamer with a Ryzen 3000 and a RTX Super and I didnt find any false positives in games or launching problems while using F-Secure Safe.
What would I know, I can also find a diamond amist the sand,

This is an issue still today, I've myself ran into issues while testing F-Secure.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
What would I know, I can also find a diamond amist the sand,

This is an issue still today, I've myself ran into issues while testing F-Secure.
May 2019
April 2014
July 2014
March 2018
(...)

I can find issues with every antivirus solution in the market, but this is not enough to say that they are horrible without facing problems myself.

I am playing much more demanding resources games (like Control with Ray Tracing) and there is zero problems here, so yeah, thats my two cents.

Anyway the software has a 30 days trial, so thats what I advise anyone to do, try for themselves.

L

Local Host

May 2019
April 2014
July 2014
March 2018
(...)

I can find issues with every antivirus solution in the market, but this is not enough to say that they are horrible without facing problems myself.

I am playing much more demanding resources games (like Control with RTX) and zero problems, so yeah, thats my two cents.
This is not about demanding games, but false positives from Deepguard.

Plus is clear you taking this personally and going off topic at this point, what I stated is pretty much common sense.

F-Secure has known issues with Games, and is bad advise to suggest it in a Gaming Rig for an average user, which when faced with the issue won't know what to do nor what happened.

I personally ran into issues while using F-Secure myself, in which Deepguard detected one of my games as malware (no warnings from F-Secure), Steam itself throws the error 51 (which is an access violation error), there's more than enough topics about this on the Steam Community (on multiple games) which helped me figure out that Deepguard was causing the issue.

This has never happened with any other AV so far, and I hope you not trying to blame my PC for an issue with the Behaviour Blocker, I'm one of the lucky few that can play the latest Cyberpunk game on max settings and stable framerate.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
This is not about demanding games, but false positives from Deepguard.

Plus is clear you taking this personally and going off topic at this point, what I stated is pretty much common sense.

F-Secure has known issues with Games, and is bad advise to suggest it in a Gaming Rig for an average user, which when faced with the issue won't know what to do nor what happened.

I personally ran into issues while using F-Secure myself, in which Deepguard detected one of my games as malware, Steam itself throws the error 51 (same as the other users), there's more than enough topics about this on the Steam Community (on multiple games) which helped me figure out that Deepguard was causing the issue.

This has never happened with any other AV so far, and I hope you not trying to blame my PC for an issue with the Behaviour Blocker, I'm one of the lucky few that can play the latest Cyberpunk game on max settings and stable framerate.

Well it is my opinion about the matter so of course it will sound like it is personal and I am not trying to insinuate anything, I try to be very direct with what I write, especially because english isnt my native language.

So in the end what we have is just two experiences, mine that the product works for the average gaming user and yours that it simple doesnt, but you were the one that said that F-Secure is horrible for this kind of user so I just have to disagree with you, it may be horrible for you and the software that you run, but this isnt a universal experience like you try to expose.

Anyway lets just agree to disagree, however it is important to make it clear that this is just our experience with the product and it is willingly not to express an opinion as a fact.

Thats why there is a 30 day trial, for users to see how the software runs, so lets stop here with the off-topic.

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
Lots of suggestions for F-Secure, despite that product having known issues with false positives in games due to DeepGuard (to the point the games don't even launch, with no warnings from F-Secure).

Means is a horrible suggestion in a Gaming Rig for an average user, my vote goes for Kaspersky is as light as ESET nowadays and is pretty much install and forget (ESET itself is a bad solution for an average user, is not install and forget and needs proper setup to protect the user).
In addition, F-Secure makes compiling with GCC almost impossible, it slow downs everything even when whitelisting the entire development directory

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

I didn't experience any slowdowns whilst testing FS. Everything feels very snappy and responsive with F-Secure, but today I tested Trend Micro, that has always been on the last positions on tests and I don't see a large gap between TM and FS. Maybe if I run a benchmark, or if I open a chronometer I might notice something.

So onto the topic about a light full AV suite, I think performance impact is pretty much the same, be it Trend Micro, Avast/AVG, F-Secure, Kaspersky or anyone else. Even if there is a small difference, it most likely won't matter. Trial can tell whether software is for you.

starsfighter

Level 1
Verified
Jun 16, 2016
If the user has at least 16 GB of RAM and any SSD, then Emsisoft is a very good product (install and forgot), although it has stopped improving for home users, otherwise it will not be light on older systems.
from my exp i used Emsisoft beside Comodo FW on older system with no single issue or effect on perfomance although i don't encourge any one to use combo.

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
ESET itself is a bad solution for an average user, is not install and forget and needs proper setup to protect the user
This is an absolute wrong information. ESET is a perfect set and forget solution too with almost no false positives, super light and strong protection for average users. It's not Bitdefender's level set and forget solution because it often asks the user's permission for PUP detection but better than Kaspersky and F-Secure.
ESET is one of the most popular products in my country and I have hardly seen anyone complaining and getting infected with ESET active. The OP asked for a light suite for a gamer and ESET perfectly fits his needs.

rndmblk

Level 3
Thread author
Nov 18, 2020
Based purely on Novabench figures, ESET was the lightest on the machine in question compared to Windows Defender (default settings). Other suites tested were ESET, F-Secure, McAfee, K7, AVG and BitDefender.

Novabench score was 8% higher with ESET than WD. Don't have figures for the rest but WD gave the lowest score on that machine

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
ESET, McAfee, Norton all I tested and felt pretty light.

Bitdefender too because their engine adapts to your system like McAfee does too.

Kaspersky got better a lot on latest MR2 2021 version, but still think it is heavier downloading Steam games (CPU % goes up) and browsing than others.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.