Battle "Lightest-weight" free real time AV? (Top contenders: Avira, Bitdefender, or pay for Webroot?)

anoukq

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 4, 2017
I have a fairly old, slow computer (albeit souped up a bit with a 1 TB Barracuda SSHD): a Toshiba Satellite C55-C5241, 8GB RAM, i5-5500u, and am running Windows 10 Home x64, everything current/updated. I use Chrome and/or Vivaldi as my browser, if that makes a difference.

I've been using Avast free for about a year and while I like the interface, I keep getting handle leaks and other problems that are really slowing me down, especially on the internet (and I've repeatedly totally uninstalled and reinstalled). It might be some incompatibility with something on my system, although I've seen in a lot of the most recent AV rankings that Avast is no longer considered lightweight compared to Avira, etc. In any event, I'm fed up with troubleshooting and just want to ditch it.

My main priority is, of course, good real-time protection, but also something as lightweight as possible (especially when on the internet). I'm also totally broke (unemployed) and not looking for much beyond standard web and file protection, preferably with heuristic/behavioral analysis--Windows firewall is fine, I use web mail so don't need spam filtering, etc.

But again, the main thing is that it be as light on resources as possible. Top contenders:

• Avira (I know the pop-ups are pretty irritating, but if it is significantly lighter, I can definitely deal); a little concerned because I thought I read somewhere that it doesn't have any sort of behavior shield/heuristics;
  • Bitdefender, although what I've read really varies in terms of reports on how system-intensive it is;
  • Others I've seen with varying reports of being lightweight and/or effective: Norton (remember years ago when it was really, really slow); F-Secure; Zone Alarm... or open to other suggestions!
  • Or is Webroot an option I should consider? Is it actually secure? The concept sounds great, and it would definitely not slow my system down (right?).
Sorry, I've just spent several hours reading everything I could find about different programs, scraping/compiling to try to find the "perfect program," and there is so much contradictory info (other than that Avira is lightweight) that I thought I'd go to some unbiased experts :).

Thanks much.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Thanks! Will enter the giveaway tmw. Looks like the ReHIPS is over. :(
ReHIPS is not over. In fact, ReHIPS devs released another RC just a few days ago. They're planning to release the final build "soon". :)

If you meant beta testing is over, it is not. :) You can still ask for a demo version now. :)

Reactions: Evandro and frogboy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.