Guide | How To Limit Services and Start Up Items for Speed

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT ANY OF THIS, MAKE SURE SYSTEM RESTORE IS TURNED ON AND CREATE A RESTORE POINT

I posted this over at the sister site. I thought you guys might like it.

Type "msconfig" in the open field after clicking START and RUN. Go to services. Then use this link to carefully read what Microsoft services that you might want to disable:
http://www.blackviper.com/wiki/TCP/IP_NetBIOS_Helper (USE THE SEARCH ENGINE). The only two non-Microsoft services that I have running are Avast and Sandboxie. Other than that, I only have 23 services running. It has made my PC experience much more responsive and smooth.

NOTE: Do not mistakenly un-check REMOTE PROCEDURE CALL, as your PC may not boot after that. MSCONFIG should warn you if you do that though.

Then go to the Startup tab. All that needs to be checked in this field is NvCpl and any security programs that you want to load during start up (e.g., AV or Firewall). If you end up needing others like CTFMON.exe, go back and check it as to enable. No biggie.
If items that you do not require, such as, CTFMON, keep getting rechecked after reboot, then download MSCONFIG Cleanup at the following link:
http://download.cnet.com/MSConfig-Cleanup/3000-2094_4-10388647.html
Be careful with this tool. Once you elect to "clean up", the item is gone for good. I have restored CTFMON before, so even if you delete it and want it back, you can get it back without much effort. CTFMON is the one that usually keeps getting rechecked (restarted) upon reboot. Most of us don't ever need it.

No registry cleaner can achieve what I was able to by simply manipulating Startup and Services.
Windows XP Professional 2002 32 BIT Service Pack 3
Pentium Dual Core E5200 2.5 Ghz@2G
Avast, MBAM, HitMan

With Jupiter in Mind

"I'm a castaway stranded in a desolate land. I can see the footprints in the virtual sand" Neil Peart

D

Deleted member 178

when i reformat, the first thing i do is disable useless services and start-up.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.