Linux (and its community) Almost Broke Me!

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
From Dedoimedo, from 2020:

In addition to the points given, I think there's also the point that many PC users do not have the time or patience to fix problems. In which case, they need to consider paid software or those with paid and consistent technical support.

Meanwhile, from the same website, a software checklist to consider when one makes the switch from Windows to Linux:

The gist is that it might boil down to Office and games. Some might include a preference for Adobe products, and probably even the older versions that they are familiar with, those who like getting the latest hardware for game performance, etc.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I had the same experience, I have tried it several times, even to use it just as a desktop for my 70 years old mom, but it did not work out and linux community only shouted insults.
I am still waiting for linux to have 1% users worldwide (not including IoT/servers), predicted 20 years ago as the supposed result of the Windows demise and the evil MS account.

Malleable

Level 1
Mar 2, 2021
Years ago I decided to use Linux for a business server because although our needs were relatively minimal but paramount I felt Microsoft's costs weren't justified (and my hs yearbook said I was rebellious). My first 5 minutes looking into it I was aware of everything he claims as a negative. Nothing new. Simple enough: choose a distro that's well documented. In my case that was Ubuntu Server over CentOS. Some people have a rabid hate for Ubuntu Server claiming it's unstable because it rolls out new features regularly. I saw that as a plus since our user base was small and manageable. The learning curve never really ends and Linux people sometimes have to put in a lot of work on their configurations hence their attitude becomes "I put in my time, now you put in yours." They throw you tidbits and point you in the right direction but won't do your work for you. That's no secret and part of the Linux experience is the exhilaration you feel spending 90 minutes to finally figure out something that would have been apparent in a few minutes if you hadn't just spent 4 hours figuring out 20 minutes worth of other stuff. Manpages are your friend. Use them.

Victor M

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
I lived in OpenBSD for a few years in the 90's and the man pages were great. Now this year I am living on Linux again. Nothing to complain about. The video was complaining about Linux because of certain users who weren't welcoming him in a forum and that's shouldn't be taken as representative of the Linux community as a whole.

• +Reputation
  • Applause
Reactions: ZeroDay and Balrog

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
Linux people have been saying this since... 2003?
It may be who knows, the end of support for windows 8.1 ends on 10 January and end of support for Chrome updates,Edge and browsers based on Chromium for windows 7 also end in February. Although still have windows 10 that works on most machines that have around, more many are old and when installed windows 10 turns into a nightmare.

Reactions: Balrog

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
I had the same experience, I have tried it several times, even to use it just as a desktop for my 70 years old mom, but it did not work out and linux community only shouted insults.
I am still waiting for linux to have 1% users worldwide (not including IoT/servers), predicted 20 years ago as the supposed result of the Windows demise and the evil MS account.
Linux is not going to be the the favourite desktop Os. period. I use Linux and I am happy with it and its not easy to keep it working without getting the quirks here and there. It demand a lot from you than that windows or mac requires. The only way Linux to break even is to introduce it to children in schools. More users means more problems gets identified and solved. The Linux community is not doing much to propagate its growth, its even more cluttered than that of android versions. Too many distros.

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
Linux is not going to be the the favourite desktop Os. period. I use Linux and I am happy with it and its not easy to keep it working without getting the quirks here and there. It demand a lot from you than that windows or mac requires.
Thank you very much! (y)good that you are sincere in your words, because many linux users say that is easy to migrate from windows, to some linux distro and start using that will be equal to windows. It is not always well so.:confused:

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I tested Linux to replace Windows for me but the lack of good powerful PDF Editors on Linux was a deal breaker. Ther worst was when I asked around about digitally signing documents and people kept asking me how hard it was to copy/paste an image of my signature to a document... they didn't get THAT is not digitally signing a document. I need my documents signed with my secure certificate that is saved in an encrypted token. If the software can add a picture of my physical signature as well that's even better. There was nothing that would allow me to mass sign documents as well.

It was also way harder to setup the entire infrastructure that I need to work, such as token management software and the encrypted software the courts here use to allow access to their internal systems.

The closest I came was using Arch Linux and the AUR that at least allowed me to successfully access one of the systems I use.

For other uses, it was quite stable and fast. The office suites don't even come close to what Word can do but I don't need to make complex documents nowadays so that wasn't a problem.

So, for my use case, Windows is less of a problem than Linux.

Last edited:

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
We are we headed? Can we predict the future? Maybe! One day I think we will see Microsoft introduce a mainstream Linux version of Windows, and then it will gain traction. It's going to happen whether the open-source community likes it or not, then Microsoft can save billions on development and research while having a huge influence on Linux development. After all the majority of Azure profits come from running Linux servers so some might say we are already at the point where Microsoft control Linux.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.