Linux (and its community) Almost Broke Me!

Balrog

Level 6
Verified
May 5, 2015
That means you are either a very experienced person or a hacker. Kali linux is a distro used by security experts and PENTESTS.(y)
What I am sure of is that I am not a hacker. I have some experience with some Linux distributions but not an expert, I wish I was. Kali can be used as a desktop environment without much problem, this is my case. Although also because it easily incorporates some tools that I am using, with other distributions I could also obtain the same result but probably with a little more effort.

I've heard very good things about Parrot OS but I haven't had time to try it, having to install and configure again at this point makes me a bit lazy :sleep:

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
It's not so much having an aversion to new stuff as having to learn many other new stuff.

Also, the community is fragmented and can't operate like a business. Hence, lots of videos, including from Linus Torvalds, on why communities suck, they're fragmented, etc.

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
What I am sure of is that I am not a hacker. I have some experience with some Linux distributions but not an expert, I wish I was.
Yes, if you have some experience with Linux distributions, it is already worth that experience you have, so you can use Kali Linux quietly, and without fear.(y)

Reactions: simmerskool

cartaphilus

Level 5
Mar 17, 2023
I had the same experience, I have tried it several times, even to use it just as a desktop for my 70 years old mom, but it did not work out and linux community only shouted insults.
I am still waiting for linux to have 1% users worldwide (not including IoT/servers), predicted 20 years ago as the supposed result of the Windows demise and the evil MS account.
The closest they ever came to market penetration is when Walmart was carrying those low end desktops with Lindows version of Linux back in early 2000s. But the Linux community then dropped all Lindows support during that time and that was it.

Linux and unix "support" community beyond the "paid support" is reminiscent to a bunch of unmarried 40+ year olds sitting in their parents basements and making fun of new Linux users (the only area that they are good at).

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Linux and unix "support" community beyond the "paid support" is reminiscent to a bunch of unmarried 40+ year olds sitting in their parents basements and making fun of new Linux users (the only area that they are good at).
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Just came across this thread. Recently moved from Windows10 Pro to Linux because my old hardware died and my hardware upgrade (I was planning to move to Windows 11) had a problem, so I settled for some cheap hardware as a temporary fix with Linux Mint Cinnamon. This is so recognizable. Like when a man goes to the dokter and says, dokter when I press here, it hurts a lot and the dokter says, well don't press there ... next patient.

Linux is easy to get right for 95%, but to get the last 5% working takes a lot of time.

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

For me it's usually finding the right Wi-Fi or printer drivers being the biggest hurdle to get Linux working 100% I've always been able to find the solution using Google search.
Finding solutions to most issues on Linux is quite doable, can't say 100% because there are those that do not play well with the open source communities and software. Broken decencies ect can cause issue too, but most certainly if one looks hard enough, they can find a work around.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I just moved from Windows 10 Pro to Linux Mint Cinnamon with all applications in Flatpak containers. It is easy to install but to get it 100% working is not easy and takes a lot of time and trial on error.
But ... when you get it working, it really is a nice OS with lots of free open source programs (my CPU also stays at least 10 degrees cooler on Linux than on Windows, so it is an efficient OS).
I have had a very good experience with Zorin (so good I paid for Zorin Pro just to support them). I ran Centos for about 10 years, but I am far from Linux cmd line expert. I had a friend who is a true Linux guru and he'd help when I got stuck. (he moved away) Zorin has been easy for me, so far. 🤞 although I don't run Zorin every day but think I could / would / & eventually will.

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Actually, on my Windows VM's, I spend much more time maintaining the system properly (updates of the OS and programs; cleaning up cruft that Windows leaves behind, etc).
Fix drivers, run sfc /scannow, scan for malware, if that fails reinstall windows, rinse and repeat. Don't even get me started on plugging swiss cheese "i mean windows" vulnerabilities.

I spend more time learning applications on Linux than i ever did on windows.

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I started with Linux Mint Cinnamon back in March. I ran it in a few different ways and for the most part I was pretty happy with it. There was a lot to learn and I tried my best with it. About two weeks ago I went back to Windows full time. I had trouble with Linux playing audio. I listen to music a lot on my laptop and never could find a player in the Mint repo that I liked for my MP3 library. None of them sounded very good and I was not interested in using Wine to make a Windows based media player work. In Windows I use Media Monkey, it sounds great and is easy to use. I also had trouble getting good sound from Pandora on Mint. I tried for a long time to fix the audio problems but just got tired of messing with it.

The main thing that got to me about Mint was the lack of any anti-virus. I know they say viruses won't run on Linux and malware is targeted toward Windows so Linux is secure by itself. I guess that is true but I just could not get used to the idea of not using any kind of security software. Since I went back on Windows, I am using Kaspersky Free and Firefox as my default main browser. I had to change a lot of settings to stop the MS Co-Pilot and Bing Chat Search but this laptop is as free from AI as I can get it. I did learn a lot about Linux during my Mint experience. Mint has a lot of good points but I really feel much better and more confident with Windows. Linux/Mint is not bad at all, it just wasn't right for me.

C.H.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

My experiences with the Linux community are quite the opposite of what others stated here.
Perhaps they visited the wrong forums? The Debian forum can be daunting.

They have been of great help and certainly very patient regarding "newbies".
Compare that to the useless help you find at answers.microsoft.com.
Well, that is true also, but for windows there are lot how-to's to find and a lot of websites publishing articles (websites dedicated to Windows platform).
On your advice I switched to the Dutch Linux forum and their attitude towards newbies is more tolerant. (y)

wat0114

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
Using Linux has been a satisfying and enjoyable experience, mainly because it's something different than Windows, it's broadened my knowledge in computer OS', and now because I've got a decent handle - by no means expert, but decent - on both Windows and linux, I have the option of using one of two different OS'. Having the option and ability to use one or the other could in certain situations be advantageous.

I should also mention I've never encountered a negative experience with the anyone in the Linux community, although in a different forum I did see evangelistic-like rants from a hardcore Linux user :D

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Linux powers most of the internet and cloud, of course it's useful and good to learn. Any more they have made it easy enough for beginners especially with distros like Mint ect that are polished and take very little skill to set up and get running. Package managers over time have become easier and better as well.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I started with Linux Mint Cinnamon back in March.
The main thing that got to me about Mint was the lack of any anti-virus.
No AV in Linux, I know the feeling, you just have to overcome that feeling :ROFLMAO: And supposedly clamav is ok for Linux, and you can run Linux apps in a container...
IIRC some AV vendors offer paid Linux version, but don't know how effective... I think they are offered by folks like us, converts from windoze who feel the urge to scan for malware...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.