Linux at the 20th Anniversary ( Story of Linux )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
This year Linux , is celebrating its 20th Anniversary.
Watch the Story of Linux to remember - or learn for the first time - how Linux disrupted a market and has begun to change the world.

List of Linux distributions

Linux is arguably the best example of how open-source has attracted a worldwide developer community. It's a group that has made perhaps the most significant contributions to the world's technology infrastructure.

Highlights from the timeline show how much has been achieved:
[attachment=597]

Do you think the Linux builds will ever be the primary choice of a home user ,when looking for a Operating System ?
Did you tried a Linux build?
Which one?
Can any Linux build face Windows at this point in time?

Attachments

• linux20infographic_sm-2.png
    linux20infographic_sm-2.png
    85.1 KB · Views: 598
Last edited:

swftech

Jun 20, 2011
I love Linux and always have a distro in my dual boot with Win 7. I switch to a new distro about every 6 months and have used many over the years. I think my favorites would have to be. Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Backtrack 5 and PCLOS. I am currently dual booting with Linux Mint 10. Not to mention every tech should have a version either on a flash drive, or Live cd or both in their toolkit. Linux comes in handy for fixing Windows all the time...lol. Happy 20th Linux;)

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I'm pretty new to Linux , I have Unbutu as a dual boot and in the near future I might try also Mint.
Right now I see any Linux build as a secondary OS, mainly due to the fact that the internet/application for home users were build around Windows.Their is no question that Linux won the enterprise battle but it will have a tough time against Windows on the Home User segment.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Actually when I found interesting with Puppy Linux that can run even lower PC its very nice to see it. For me it will be a long time since Windows was majority to the users.

silviu_c

Feb 28, 2011
Uh, Linux won where it comes to servers (and mobile devices if you see Android as Linux). It is still developed mainly by companies that care only about that - and rightly so, since there's where all the big $$$$ is.

For enterprise desktops you will find Windows and some Macs.

On the workstation front I really have no clue. I guess Linux and some Unices have some big names using them since Nvidia actually keeps giving us a high performance driver. I'm sure they would not bother otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.