Linux Linux Desktops: Ubuntu vs. Linux Mint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ZeroDay

Out of the box, Ubuntu and Linux Mint look very different. From colors and icons to the placement of launchers themselves, each distro offers a completely unique experience when compared to one another.

But perhaps the biggest difference between the two distributions is each one's overall direction. Ubuntu is attempting to become a jack of all trades, offering Ubuntu experiences for the desktop, Ubuntu TV and smartphones. Linux Mint on the other hand, is quite content in keeping its original mission of providing a great desktop experience.

For example, Mint offers a typical desktop experience when it comes to browsing your menu, locating installed software and browsing files. Ubuntu however, has sweetened the experience a bit by allowing the Unity desktop to provide a dock for frequently used application, in addition to being able to locate and launch software using the Unity Dash. The idea, of course, is that the Ubuntu approach is easier to navigate. Personally, I tend to disagree, but others seem to enjoy Ubuntu's approach.
Source & rest of article.

McLovin

Level 72
AV-Tester
Verified
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Trend Micro
Out of those that I've tried, I would go Linux Mint, but some features I like in Ubuntu though.

BoraMurdar

Super Moderator
MalwareTips Staff
Verified
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Emsisoft
Ubuntu is more rich featured, Mint is lighter and I recommend it to every Windows users who's willing to try a Linux Distro for the first time.

Umbra

Level 85
Content Creator
Verified
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Default-Deny
I tried both ( 3 days each) and i prefer Mint , before going back to Windows :p

BoraMurdar

Super Moderator
MalwareTips Staff
Verified
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Emsisoft
:D I meant to say "Ubuntu is less rich featured than Mint" :D mistyped
Mint, PearOS and Elementary OS are the best in my opinion.

You can't Judge on something if you didn't try it.I have these operating systems now installed on my hp notebook.
  1. Windows 8.1 Pro
  2. Windows 7 Ultimate
  3. Zorin OS 7
  4. Ubuntu 13.10
What I found that Zorin OS 7 is rubbish, It based on Ubuntu with Compiz features.Formatted it's partition using EaseUS and restored Linux Mint 16 to USB and after pressing "Post Reply" Button I'm gonna to install it.;):D:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Spawn

Administrator
MalwareTips Staff
Verified
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Microsoft
Why do you use multiple OSes?

I like Mint so much, although i've been an Ubuntu user.... but i don't like Unity, i'm an old Gnome guy :)
So, my vote's for MINT ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.