Linux Desktops: Ubuntu vs. Linux Mint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ZeroDay

Thread author
Out of the box, Ubuntu and Linux Mint look very different. From colors and icons to the placement of launchers themselves, each distro offers a completely unique experience when compared to one another.

But perhaps the biggest difference between the two distributions is each one's overall direction. Ubuntu is attempting to become a jack of all trades, offering Ubuntu experiences for the desktop, Ubuntu TV and smartphones. Linux Mint on the other hand, is quite content in keeping its original mission of providing a great desktop experience.

For example, Mint offers a typical desktop experience when it comes to browsing your menu, locating installed software and browsing files. Ubuntu however, has sweetened the experience a bit by allowing the Unity desktop to provide a dock for frequently used application, in addition to being able to locate and launch software using the Unity Dash. The idea, of course, is that the Ubuntu approach is easier to navigate. Personally, I tend to disagree, but others seem to enjoy Ubuntu's approach.

Source & rest of article.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Out of those that I've tried, I would go Linux Mint, but some features I like in Ubuntu though.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Ubuntu is more rich featured, Mint is lighter and I recommend it to every Windows users who's willing to try a Linux Distro for the first time.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
I tried both ( 3 days each) and i prefer Mint , before going back to Windows :p

Reactions: House_maniac

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
:D I meant to say "Ubuntu is less rich featured than Mint" :D mistyped
Mint, PearOS and Elementary OS are the best in my opinion.

Ahmed Alajeeli

Dec 21, 2013
You can't Judge on something if you didn't try it.I have these operating systems now installed on my hp notebook.
  1. Windows 8.1 Pro
  2. Windows 7 Ultimate
  3. Zorin OS 7
  4. Ubuntu 13.10
What I found that Zorin OS 7 is rubbish, It based on Ubuntu with Compiz features.Formatted it's partition using EaseUS and restored Linux Mint 16 to USB and after pressing "Post Reply" Button I'm gonna to install it.;):D:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ZeroDay

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Why do you use multiple OSes?

woodrowbone

Level 10
Verified
Dec 24, 2011
I like how Zorin OS made their product a Windows lookalike. Make it look like Win 7 or XP.

/W

vrb93

Level 5
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
I like Mint so much, although i've been an Ubuntu user.... but i don't like Unity, i'm an old Gnome guy :)
So, my vote's for MINT ;)

Reactions: ZeroDay
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.