Linux Lite 4.0 Final Release

Have you used or heard of Linux Lite OS before?

• Yes

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Blog: Linux Lite 4.0 Final Released

This release marks the beginning of Series 4.x Codename Diamond.

The main changes in Linux Lite Series 4.x include a new icon and system theme, Timeshift for system backups, Shotwell to manage and perform basic edits on images, MenuLibre to manage menu entries, new Lite applications including Lite Desktop that manages common icons on the Desktop, Lite Sounds to manage system wide sounds, and many of our existing applications have been updated.

See below for all the changes:
  • Minimum recommended specs have been raised slightly to more realistic levels (RAM, CPU).
  • There are no more 32bit ISO releases. If you still require a 32bit OS due to hardware limitations, Series 3.x is supported through to April 2021.
  • XFCE Pulseaudio plugin, has been added to the system tray for highly customizable options regarding volume management.
  • Full disk encryption now replaces home encryption in the installer (an Ubuntu implementation).
  • The new boot splash also shows you the password field in GUI for encrypted partitions.
  • Ubuntu no longer offers an opportunity to set a swap partition. A swap file is now automatically created for you which is a maximum of 2gb or 5% of free disk space (an Ubuntu implementation).
  • Compositing is now enabled out-of-the-box.
What's New
  • Theme and Icon Set (Adapta + Papirus)
  • Lite Desktop
  • Lite Sounds
  • XFCE Pulseaudio Plugin
  • Boot Splash
  • Grub
  • XFCE Terminal
  • Shotwell Image Viewer
  • MenuLibre
  • Timeshift for system backup and restore
  • Help Manual - fully updated for Series 4.x
  • Linux Lite branded applications Icon Set
Common Software
  • Web Browser - Firefox 60.0.1 Quantum
  • Email Client - Thunderbird 52.8.0
  • Office Suite - LibreOffice 6.0.3.2
  • Media Player - VLC 3.0.2
  • Image Editor - Gimp 2.10.2
  • System Backup and Restore - Timeshift 18.4
  • File Manager - Thunar 1.6.15
  • Base: 18.04
  • Kernel: 4.15.0-22 (custom kernels are also available via our Repository for versions 3.13 - 4.16)
  • Series: 4.x

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

The problem with Linux, sadly - bugs and compatibility issues.

For example often Linux doesn't install right on NVME drives. Sometimes Linux won't properly install for dual boot on a Windows 10 box. It gets really ugly fast depending on bios/driver/firmware/nic compatibility issues.

I've tried 6 times to get a dual boot on my Ryzen 7 box with NVME/m.2 drives. I've talked to Linux engineers, I've had remote sessions with them. Endless problems, even if they get it to temporarily work, sometimes the GRUB fails and I am back to wiping the box.

It's a shame. I'd like to dual boot it properly, instead I use a VM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.