Linux Lubuntu noob in need of help.

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
Yes and no.

Probably the two most popular distros that people like to use for gaming on linux is Pop!_OS (which is based off Ubuntu like Lubuntu) and Manjaro. The reason for that is because the people behind them take a little more time to tweak things to get them ready to game on Linux. However you can achieve the same result on pretty much any distro, it just may take a little more tinkering. There are some great YouTube videos on how to game on Linux.

Now one thing to note is that while playing Windows games on Linux has come a long ways, it's still far from perfect. Some games may take a little tweaking to get going, some work flawlessly without any issues and some don't work at all. Games like Fortnite and some of the Call of Duty games do not work at all on Linux (at least right now) because these games include anti-cheat for multiplayer. Anti cheat works at the kernel level on Windows, so there's no way (right now) to get it working on Linux. This is why some people still dual boot Windows, as it allows them to continue to play certian games that do not work at all on Linux, but use Linux for the rest of their games that do work.

In saying that a very large portion of games do run on Linux. If you have steam you can install it and turn on proton which will try to emulate Windows essentially to allow the game to run. They have a website called protondb which lists all the games and how well they work, if at all. Another place to check is Lutris which also allows you to run and install games, however if covers games that aren't available through steam.

As to Manjaro, its a really good distro, but one thing to note is that it's based off Arch Linux. Its a rolling distro which means that they will provide all the latest stuff to their users fairly quickly, where as distros like Ubuntu are more fixed in their major updates, so some things may not get updated until the next major release. They still receive bug fixes and security updates though. The one thing about rolling distros is to be aware that there maybe an ever so sloghyly higher chance of something breaking because they are on the latest and greatest and not all bug may have been ironed out yet. Just something to be aware of.

I am looking up some stuff about manjaro. I came across a page that said manjaro has there own gaming distro. Its called mGAMe. Have you guys ever tried it? I have been watching all the stuff everyone has been posting and starting to get a little more comfortable with this whole Linux thing now. It's not as scary as I thought lol. So I think I am going to spend some time finding a distro that fulfills my requirements. Then, spend a whole lot of time learning it. From there I can branch off into other builds that are optimized for gaming. Theres another one I'm reading about called SparkyLinux. I guess it comes with all the stuff needed to get you gaming. It has Steam, Play On Linux, Wine etc preinstalled. Plus its prepacked with lots of games which are totally free and open source. Man my adventure into Linux is like a falling into a wormhole. Like the adventure will take you wherever you desire to go lol. There is definitely something for everyone. I find this a lot more interesting than Windows.

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
I am looking up some stuff about manjaro. I came across a page that said manjaro has there own gaming distro. Its called mGAMe. Have you guys ever tried it? I have been watching all the stuff everyone has been posting and starting to get a little more comfortable with this whole Linux thing now. It's not as scary as I thought lol. So I think I am going to spend some time finding a distro that fulfills my requirements. Then, spend a whole lot of time learning it. From there I can branch off into other builds that are optimized for gaming. Theres another one I'm reading about called SparkyLinux. I guess it comes with all the stuff needed to get you gaming. It has Steam, Play On Linux, Wine etc preinstalled. Plus its prepacked with lots of games which are totally free and open source. Man my adventure into Linux is like a falling into a wormhole. Like the adventure will take you wherever you desire to go lol. There is definitely something for everyone. I find this a lot more interesting than Windows.
There's no need for a fancy gaming distro, you can install all of those programs from the Manjaro software center after a few clicks

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
As @geminis3 mentioned, Lubuntu is lighter than the default Ubuntu desktop, which is Gnome. Therefore, Lubuntu is better for underpowered computers.

My advice is to stay away from Manjaro until you have some Linux experience under your belt. Manjaro is great, but it is a little harder to master, it's not where people typically start their Linux experience.

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
As @geminis3 mentioned, Lubuntu is lighter than the default Ubuntu desktop, which is Gnome. Therefore, Lubuntu is better for underpowered computers.

My advice is to stay away from Manjaro until you have some Linux experience under your belt. Manjaro is great, but it is a little harder to master, it's not where people typically start their Linux experience.

Okay guess I will just get on the latest distro of Lubuntu and keep plucking away.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I have more than twenty years of experience with Linux.
The first ones I tried were Red Hat (now Fedora) and SUSE Linux (now OpenSUSE).
Then came Ubuntu as most noob friendly distribution.
Like @shmu26 said I would first get some experience by running an Ubuntu or Linux Mint based distribution.
When you get more experience, you can try Manjaro a nice Arch-based rolling release distribution.

These are the Major Distributions according to DistroWatch:

Website with very thorough and critical reviews:

He is also active on Wilders:

Personally, I'm not using Linux anymore.

Fuzzy_Bunny

Level 4
Sep 19, 2019
Edit: In Manjaro you can install almost everything from the software center (pamac GUI) without having to touch the command line unlike Ubuntu based distros, but since it's a rolling release there's a little chance of an update breaking things. Btw if you can't find something (like a printer driver) just enable the AUR support and you'll probably find it.

This is problem is mostly just on paper. I'm using Manjaro for few years now and i never have any problems with it.
Ubuntu bricked my PC so many times i even stoped counting

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Btw if you can't find something (like a printer driver) just enable the AUR support and you'll probably find it.

The only thing I will mention about the AUR (being this is a security forum) is that I wouldn't recommend just downloading anything and everything off of it. For those who don't know, the AUR stands for "Arch User Repository," meaning that it is a repository of programs that is maintained by users, not by the main developers of Arch. Because of this, there is always the potential that someone could upload something maclicious to the AUR. There are very respected AUR users that watch over this, but they cannot gaurentee that they will catch everything. If you are going to use the AUR, you have to do your reasearch on the entry. Look at the comments, votes, but most importantly the PKGBUILD so you know what it's doing. This is where having an understanding of Linux and basic knowlege of these scripts will come in handy.

I haven't tired it, but I honestly wouldn't bother with it. As I've said in my previous post, you can game pretty much on any distro on linux, it just may take a little more tinkering to get it going on some distros. Having a "gaming" distro really isn't necessary. I would just stick with main distros instead of these one off "gaming" distros. Some aren't even maintained by the main developers. Many of them are just side projects for someone, so really you have to look to them to keep things going, which is too much of a hassle IMHO.

Agreed!

This is where people start to hate Linux IMHO.

@grimreaper1014 I would follow the advice of my fellow forurm members. Continue to use Lubuntu and get comfortable with it and how Linux works in general. A lot of people run into issues because the constantly distro hop and never really take the time to learn thing properly and get comfortable. After which they get very frustrated and stop using it entirely. Each distro will have it's quirks, so my advice would be to stick with Lubuntu as it is based off of Debain/Ubuntu and is traditionally more stable. However as @Fuzzy_Bunny said, anything can break.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
A lot of people run into issues because the constantly distro hop and never really take the time to learn thing properly and get comfortable. After which they get very frustrated and stop using it entirely. Each distro will have it's quirks, so my advice would be to stick with Lubuntu as it is based off of Debain/Ubuntu and is traditionally more stable.
I second this advice. Its the same as when a new person starts using Windows, Android, iOS etc, there is a learning curve. Patience is rewarded. Usually!

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
So Manjaro is easier to get setup for gaming?
Can't say it's the best, aforementioned by Raiden what changes here is the development and work behind to set it up on a more "gamer way". I've tried Ubuntu, ElementaryOS, God forgive me I even tried Kali, everything gave me trouble to play. I'm a big fan of League of Legends, and in Ubuntu I spent days trying to install it and then fix the random crashes. As soon as I installed Manjaro I ran two commands and League was installed and running.

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
Moving on up....... lol
#Latest&Greatest

Attachments

• latest&greatest.jpg
    latest&greatest.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 385

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
Okay guys I got a question I'm probably going to sound dumb for asking this but I really can't figure it out. I installed gufw. It says I need to go to system/administrator/firewall configuration. The problem I am having is this is not as easy as going to start/control panel like on Windows. I have clicked and tried reading everything I could possibly find pertaining to this question. I can't seam to find an answer. Can someone please tell me how to get into Lubuntu's equivalent version of a control panel please lol?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
Thank you sir for your help. I didn't know there was an actual Lubuntu manaul lol. All the directions I been reading and fallowing are generally for ubuntu. I searched the start menu and everywhere else I could possibly look for it and didn't see and icon to launch it anywhere. It does come up when I type in the command lxqt-config. Is there a way I can send it to the desktop so in the future I can access it quicker? in lxqt at the top left I went to "Send to Desktop" I tried to sent it to desktop 1 but it is greyed out. So it won't let me send it there. So I tried desktop 2. It is still not on my desktop. So there was an option to send it to all desktops. I pressed it. Still nothing on the desktop lmao.

Reactions: Protomartyr

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
Also, there is no option for Administrator in LXQt panel so how can I get here? To access GUFW, go to System->Administration->Firewall configuration.
I am trying to turn on the firewall it should be installed now. I ran the fallowing commands.
sudo add-apt-repository universe
sudo apt update -y
sudo apt install gufw -y
I see no option for gufw in the start menu either. I would of figured once it was installed I should get an icon somewhere to turn it on and configure it.

Im installing KDE Plasma Desktop and System Settings. I think these are what I am looking for. My hope is that KDE Plasma will give me the shortcuts I need when I click on the start menu. I think System Settings is basically the equavillant of Windows control panel. So once I install it I should have access to the system settings shortcuts I need. I guess if I mess up to bad I can always reinstall.

After installing they did neither of the things I thought they would. Actually doesn't look like they did anything at all. Deleting them and looking for another solution.

Last edited:

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
Lubuntu is very basic, but also very fast.
If you like the KDE Plasma Desktop more and need to reinstall, better start with Kububu.
Other options:
It didnt make any changed at all. So I removed them both. I thought it was going to give me the shortcuts I needed to access the things I wanted find but it didn't. How about I ran those commands to install gufw and here it never installed even though it said it did. I finally stumbled onto Muon Package Mananger. I went in there and typed in gufw and sure enough it pops up and says it is not installed. I'm scratching my head on that one.

Now that I know there is a user manual I think I am going to take a step back and try to read the whole thing. Watching and reading little bits in pieces of different things is helpfull. However, it is not giving me enough information to really get things going. I need like a Linux book for dummies or Lubuntu for dummies lol. I feel like I'm getting overwhelmed a little bit. However, I do enjoy things that give me a challenge. So if nothing else it is keeping me busy and entertained. I just have to remember to take a step back and take a break when I get frustrated. I feel like this is something I could really enjoy. I just have to go about it better so I don't get overwhelmed, stressed out, and hang up the boots lol.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
It didnt make any changed at all. So I removed them both. I thought it was going to give me the shortcuts I needed to access the things I wanted find but it didn't. How about I ran those commands to install gufw and here it never installed even though it said it did. I finally stumbled onto Muon Package Mananger. I went in there and typed in gufw and sure enough it pops up and says it is not installed. I'm scratching my head on that one.
And if you install it through the Muon Package Manager does it get in the menu?

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
And if you install it through the Muon Package Manager does it get in the menu?
Negative and I don't see it anywhere. I don't understand this at all. I would think that when you install something you should either get a start menu option for it or a desktop shortcut like you do it Windows. I feel like you need a dang command for everything lol. Me: 'I need to move my mouse couser 3 inches to the left.' Lubuntu "Sorry you did not enter the right command to achieve that function. Please try again later when your educated." hahaha

Attachments

• gufw.jpg
    gufw.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 379

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.