Linux on Dell Inspiron 14R 5437

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
I have an Inspiron 14R 5437 laptop running Windows 8.1. I haven't upgraded to Windows 10, and I'm actually thinking of replacing Windows with a Linux distro. My question is: will it work fine?

According to the support website for this model, Dell offers no Linux drivers. In fact, Ubuntu 11.10 is listed as a supported OS, but no drivers are listed under that option.

I've wanted to try Linux for a long time, but my passion for gaming always kept me from it. This laptop, however, never did well with heavier games -- it would always overheat -- so I believe I can keep using it to satisfy my vintage gaming needs under Linux by running games through Wine.

If that proves to be the case, then my concern falls into hardware-OS compatibility. Will I be able to find the drivers for Linux? Will the touch screen, HDMI output, etc work properly? If you guys could shed some light onto this, I'd be very grateful.

AnonMan

Level 2
Verified
Aug 4, 2017
If i understand you correctly, you want to install linux (is it ubuntu?) onto your laptop but not sure if it compatible with your laptop. Actually, every ubuntu distribution have a live session that can be use without installing the said OS, just boot onto it to see if all of your hardware work fine with it. Regarding driver there are 2 ways you can acquired, some of the driver from ubuntu repositories/additional driver (like graphic/wifi adapter) and community work(rare case).

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
You can install Ubuntu with it: Installation/MinimalCD - Community Help Wiki
It goes faster than the normal Ubuntu installation. Then you need to tick your desktop environment: for Ubuntu please tick: Ubuntu desktop. It will probably install all other packages (internet browser etc.) so you do not need to tick other options. It will also download all updates -> you save time.
If you're installing Ubuntu for the first time then you should pick the original iso where you can test this OS live (like others said). Dell laptops had issuses with the WiFi on Ubuntu. Don't know how it is today. Good luck!

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Thank you so much for your replies!

dell used to give an ubuntu installation cd with laptops earlier. do you have an ubuntu cd that came with your dell inspiron?
Nope, it came with Windows 8, but no installation disc was provided.

If i understand you correctly, you want to install linux (is it ubuntu?) onto your laptop but not sure if it compatible with your laptop. Actually, every ubuntu distribution have a live session that can be use without installing the said OS, just boot onto it to see if all of your hardware work fine with it. Regarding driver there are 2 ways you can acquired, some of the driver from ubuntu repositories/additional driver (like graphic/wifi adapter) and community work(rare case).
Since I never really tried Linux on any of my machines before (other than using a couple of recovery CDs in emergencies), I don't know if Ubuntu is the best option for me. Thanks for the live session tip, I'll try that first!

you can also try this : Dell Windows-herstelimage

enter the service tag & check availability, if available download the iso & use that to install.
Looked like a great idea, thanks! But unfortunately it didn't work. I guess maybe my model is too old, because there's nothing provided for my service tag.

You can install Ubuntu with it: Installation/MinimalCD - Community Help Wiki
It goes faster than the normal Ubuntu installation. Then you need to tick your desktop environment: for Ubuntu please tick: Ubuntu desktop. It will probably install all other packages (internet browser etc.) so you do not need to tick other options. It will also download all updates -> you save time.
If you're installing Ubuntu for the first time then you should pick the original iso where you can test this OS live (like others said). Dell laptops had issuses with the WiFi on Ubuntu. Don't know how it is today. Good luck!
Thank you so much for the tips!

I really appreciate your help, guys. As soon as I manage to try the live CD, I'll update this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.