Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
I have asked you a question for my friend few days ago
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Which-one-I-install-on-my-friends-Laptop

and he have one more query which i am unable to solve.

My friend use his computer only to watch videos check emails and listen music and downloads few videos.

He also visit P*** sites regularly :D

He is now on windows 7 pro with avast is and he want to turn to ubuntu 12.04.
He feels Ubuntu is fast and light and more secure then win 7+Ais

Should he stick with win 7 and avast
or Linux will do.

Waiting for your suggestion,

P

Plexx

My personal opinion, because I do not like Ubuntu itself, is using a different version:
Xubuntu, Lubuntu for the Ubuntu family;
Linux Mint or fedora core based distros can also be recommended.

I personally like to use most Lubuntu and Linux Mint.

Lubuntu is Ubuntu in LXDE
Xubuntu is Ubuntu in Xfce

It all depends on the user's Linux knowledge.

Upvote 0

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
Biozfear said:
I haven't. There are still loads of combinations to choose and review :)
sometimes a copy and paste task in linux look harder than removing fake antivirus from pc :lol:

Upvote 0

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Stranger said:
or Linux will do.

I don't see how we could possibly answer that question for him.

If he likes Linux, he should run Linux. If he likes Windows, he should run Windows. :rolleyes:

As for security, yes Linux is more difficult to infect than Windows, but a good security suite should keep him pretty safe while using Windows. He could also run Windows under a Limited User Account to be closer to the protection of standard Linux operation where the user does not have ROOT access.

Upvote 0

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
HeffeD said:
Stranger said:
or Linux will do.

I don't see how we could possibly answer that question for him.

If he likes Linux, he should run Linux. If he likes Windows, he should run Windows. :rolleyes:

As for security, yes Linux is more difficult to infect than Windows, but a good security suite should keep him pretty safe while using Windows. He could also run Windows under a Limited User Account to be closer to the protection of standard Linux operation where the user does not have ROOT access.

Actually my friend is set and forget type of person and looks for speed then security,
I have advised him to keep windows as it is easy to know if you are infected and easy to clean if you are infected too.
Either I don't get commands of Linux what can i say about him :p

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
As far as I know, Ubuntu has been made more user friendly that a few years ago.

I agree with HeffeD, it's not up to us to decide, if he's already set on Ubuntu.

Upvote 0

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
Change his DNS to:
Primary DNS Server : 198.153.192.60
Secondary DNS Server : 198.153.194.60

and watch him cry when the Norton blocked message comes up each time he tries to watch naughty videos or file sharing.

Upvote 0

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
+1 to that pcjunklist! :D Don't forget to add WOT. :lol:

I prefer using the ones from the Ubuntu family, like Xubuntu, Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Kubuntu because of their easy upgrade from a newer Ubuntu version to another, not like Linux Mint. It would be a good idea to let him give it a test drive in a Live CD/USB or on a VM.

I will list the usability and impact on performance for the Ubuntu distros mentioned above (It's just my opinion):
Kubuntu: Usability: Excellent | Performance impact: High
Ubuntu: Usabilty: Very Good | Performance impact: High
Xubuntu: Usability: Good | Performance impact: Low-Medium
Lubuntu: Usability: Acceptable | Performance impact: Low

If his machine has good specs, it will be able to run any of these very smoothly. But I would choose Kubuntu or Xubuntu.

Upvote 0

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
He installed linux and get back to windows in merely 2 hours :p

Its over Mods can close the topic: I selected the best answer.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.