Linux to repair c drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSmitty

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 12, 2018
My c drive was infected and won't boot. Several ideas and attempts to repair but no avail.
I have a thumb drive loaded w program to clean drive, now I'm stuck at command prompt. unfortunately, I'm far behind the eight ball on this one. Any help? Sorry if Im in wrong forum...
15240307326371712318879.jpg
grub>

MSmitty

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 12, 2018
Friend who gave me thumb drive said it would clean the virus on my C drive upon boot, but all I get is this, and I have no knowledge how to run the program, what syntax or commands to use

Attachments

• 15240310092761959775507.jpg
    15240310092761959775507.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 276
Reactions: upnorth

MSmitty

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 12, 2018
Thanks for sharing your knowledge, unfortunately in my frustrations I didn't provide background.
I am using Win7 OS and had tech support virus shut down c drive- won't boot at all. Friend gave thumb drive, it booted up, I set removable as first drive. Then very fast flash on screen showed SYSLINUX (I believe he wrote program on Lynux?) Then went to command - grub> (see photo) here is where I'm stuck. I've tried reading tutorials, not helping me figure this out. It's 2:28 am for me, friend sleeping, won't get to bring him thumb drive to reconfigure for couple days, then couple more to get it back. Need info on c drive asap, desperately!

Reactions: upnorth

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I've tried reading tutorials, not helping me figure this out. It's 2:28 am for me, friend sleeping, won't get to bring him thumb drive to reconfigure for couple days, then couple more to get it back. Need info on c drive asap, desperately!
This might help : How to Rescue a Non-booting GRUB 2 on Linux

You could also simply try type " boot " and hit Enter on your keyboard and see what happens.

Last edited:

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Thanks for sharing your knowledge, unfortunately in my frustrations I didn't provide background.
I am using Win7 OS and had tech support virus shut down c drive- won't boot at all. Friend gave thumb drive, it booted up, I set removable as first drive. Then very fast flash on screen showed SYSLINUX (I believe he wrote program on Lynux?) Then went to command - grub> (see photo) here is where I'm stuck. I've tried reading tutorials, not helping me figure this out. It's 2:28 am for me, friend sleeping, won't get to bring him thumb drive to reconfigure for couple days, then couple more to get it back. Need info on c drive asap, desperately!
So you basically need to scan your C drive and remove an infection preventing your C Drive from booting? Personally I'd use Kaspersky rescue disk first. If you've got your date backed up I'd follow the above guide for gparted it comes pre-installed on most Ubuntu based live USB distributions. Just make a bootable Linux mint usb, Click on the start menu, type GParted, hit enter, delete your hard disk, then select 'Devices' create an MBR or GPT partition table whichever suits you best, then create a new partition (In this case the whole drive) select NTFS for the file system them click apply. Then reinstall Windows. Obviously you're going to need a second machine to create the bootable USB. But if it's an infected C drive you need to clean I'd definitely try Kaspersky rescue CD first. If not follow the above guide for GParted:

How to Create a Bootable Linux USB Flash Drive, the Easy Way

You're going to need a second machine to create a new USB drive either way unless you have a system imagine.

Last edited:
Reactions: MSmitty

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
Copy your C: drive to a backup USB drive first. You can use a bootable live Linux, like Ubuntu or Mint to do that. That should preserve your files.

Then reformat your C: drive and clean install Windows.

Reactions: ZeroDay and MSmitty
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.