Little suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
There are some little things i've been searching since i ever got here, and never could found. Maybe this has been asked for before, but as i haven't seen it, i'll go for it..

-Chatbox: i think it would be awsome if when accessing the forums, on the top part we could have a live chatbox to share stuff, links and pretty much, chat on a live public way.. I've seen it in lots of forums and it really works. Some even give moderators of the forums the possibility to clean the chatbox with a command if spammed.
-Possibility to use smilys on profile page: i have to go for the classic :p and no smilys, and i hate it!! :mad:
-Possibility to add images on profile page: by this i mean a button to upload a picture to your wall, so you don't need to upload it to a server and leave a link..
-"Send message" button on profile: to make it easier when you found something on someone's wall, something to wanna tell him or so, it would be go if on the top right part, where we have the follow button, we could have a "send message" one, or "start conversation".

safe1st

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
@Morvotron: The Chatbox is still under of development since the concern where avoid numerous issues with the forum software platform.

Other suggestions you mentioned are fine with me, but the administrators have their full control to revise some changes. :)

Good to know @jamescv7

I agreed with "Send message" button on profile
that would be awesome :)

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
IMO I would strongly advice against a chatbox as that has and sorry to say always will be a way too easy accesspoint for hackers no matter the platform. The idea and option in itself is great but from a security point of view it's extremly dangerous. If the forums software vendor has built and regulary updates a chat app of there own then that could ofcourse be considered.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Chatbox is nice and can be fun and a good way to make friends. However past experience has shown us that not everyone plays nice and many feel as though the forum rules don't apply in the chatbox.
I am not opposed to the idea but it usually causes more trouble than it is worth.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
-"Send message" button on profile: to make it easier when you found something on someone's wall, something to wanna tell him or so, it would be go if on the top right part, where we have the follow button, we could have a "send message" one, or "start conversation".

Good to know @jamescv7

I agreed with "Send message" button on profile
that would be awesome :)
But, there is such a button, it's on the Information tab in the Interact section..

1.jpg

Regarding the chat box, this is also my view...
Chatbox is nice and can be fun and a good way to make friends. However past experience has shown us that not everyone plays nice and many feel as though the forum rules don't apply in the chatbox.
I am not opposed to the idea but it usually causes more trouble than it is worth.

-Possibility to use smilys on profile page: i have to go for the classic :p and no smilys, and i hate it!! :mad:
-Possibility to add images on profile page: by this i mean a button to upload a picture to your wall, so you don't need to upload it to a server and leave a link..
Will look into this. Not bad suggestions.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I'm not a fan of the chat box because it has been abused in the past. Not saying it will now but there will always be that guy. If you really want to talk to a certain member then send them a private message.

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
ADD: categorize notifications so you get less alerts. Example: when three people like your post on a thread, do not give three notifications. Just put it together and get one single alert, which may say: X, Y & Z liked your post. X, Y & Z quoted your post at XXX thread.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Yes sir, I've checked it. Still, there's no option to agroup notifications.. Is it?
There is no default setting for this in Xenforo and something like this would require an add on/mod for which there is not one.

Reactions: Morvotron

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Personally the image thing may be a bad idea. People could possibly get away with posting things that are inappropriate or illegal.

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
Personally the image thing may be a bad idea. People could possibly get away with posting things that are inappropriate or illegal.
Mmh, seems logic. Anyways, who'd post such things? I guess this community has an anti-bot addon or so, since i haven't seen them. Actually you can post links to image hosts, which is pretty much the same i guess..

Reactions: DJ Panda

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
NEW SUGGESTION: allow to make polls on profile statuses, to avoid creating posts for general questions as "which one you'd choose ESET vs NORTON"

Reactions: jamescv7
T

TheSuperGeek

I agree with 2 things/ideas :
1) Make a chatroom or an IRC chanel (or another instant-messaging system)
2) The possibility to make polls on status
Thanks for this good ideas @Morvotron !

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.