App Review Live attack test - Arena ransomware, a Crysis variant

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

CalinGhibu

From TEMASOFT
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Mar 15, 2017
This is a live test against the .Arena variant of Crysis / Dharma.
This variant attacks the network, deletes the shadow copies, replicates to system 32, executes on reboot, cannot be yet decrypted.
Watch a live attack demo below:

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
That's funny, if the user is victim of ransomware, in the worst case, he has to pay.
If the user doesn't want to risk having to pay for a ransom, he has to pay for Ranstop (in this case).

Because in the end the user always has to pay: business is business, ok, but in the meantime, do not forget that Macrium Reflect is free.
it is not an antiransomware but a solid backup tool that allows you to secure all your files.
Just a few mouse clicks and a bit of patience but it is worth...don't you think?
Just my humble opinion :)

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
That's funny, if the user is victim of ransomware, in the worst case, he has to pay.
If the user doesn't want to risk having to pay for a ransom, he has to pay for Ranstop (in this case).

Because in the end the user always has to pay: business is business, ok, but in the meantime, do not forget that Macrium Reflect is free.
it is not an antiransomware but a solid backup tool that allows you to secure all your files.
Just a few mouse clicks and a bit of patience but it is worth...don't you think?
effectiveness 100%

CalinGhibu

From TEMASOFT
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Mar 15, 2017
@Winter Soldier
Macrium is a great backup product. But it marginally protects against ransomware unless you stay doing backups all day long, and they do not get attacked (if online).
Regarding having to pay, I find the comparing of a ransom (hundreds of dollars at least per machine and per incident + costs of downtime) with the price of Ranstop (30 dollars for a year) unfair, to say the least. There will be a free version of Ranstop, so stay tuned, if interested.

Peter2150

Level 7
Verified
Oct 24, 2015
@Winter Soldier
Macrium is a great backup product. But it marginally protects against ransomware unless you stay doing backups all day long, and they do not get attacked (if online).
Regarding having to pay, I find the comparing of a ransom (hundreds of dollars at least per machine and per incident + costs of downtime) with the price of Ranstop (30 dollars for a year) unfair, to say the least. There will be a free version of Ranstop, so stay tuned, if interested.

Using macrium and taking hourly images costs nothing. It's what I do. Protecting the images is now done by Macrium v7 for no additional cost. Also one can protect images and other drives with a $13us one off purchase. Finally since Ransomware is only one of many types of threats, if you protect your machine properly no ransomware product is necessary.

Not convinced.

CalinGhibu

From TEMASOFT
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Mar 15, 2017
I have no doubt such an approach works in a number of cases. However different businesses have different needs. In a large company doing hourly backups is out of the question as there is not enough man power to manage that for hundreds of computers. For bigger servers, again, it is a performance issue. Also in some environments, losing one hour worth of data may be a big issue - i.e. healthcare. You are right about other malware and we are doing something for that as well. This product is not necessarily meant for consumers or home usage. For that there will be the free version and people can play around with it for free and decide if it is worth using or not.

Peter2150

Level 7
Verified
Oct 24, 2015
I have a question and it relates to your recovery. I use Outlook and Access and they are open and available all day. So I start the day and work until 7PM. So at 4:30 i suffer a ransomware attack and my office files are damage. What am I going to get back with your recovery?

D

Deleted member 65228

I agree with you and even if someone is using software designed to tackle ransomware, I think that it is still important for them to make a backup say on case. :)

Reactions: frogboy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.