Living in an Ad-Free World, would you?

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Many use Content Blockers on their PC, Browsers and Mobile devices, blocking out content that is irrelevant to themselves.

I want you to take the next step, let's take that concept into the real world.

With the current AR and VR technologies, this is very much possible in the future.

Jump into the time machine and travel 25 years into the future.

What if you lived an Ad-Free life, where the world around you had no billboards, no banners, no newsletters or reward schemes with coupons.

You could pay for a lifestyle where there would be blank spaces on advertising boards, no surveys or opinions through the post or over telephone, no free vouchers for discounted products.

Would you pay for this and would it be worth it? Many questions exist.

So let's say you did,
Would you feel okay knowing you are paying a premium to not see all the potential benefits of adcertising? Would you be better off without the discounts and offers made available through advertising?

The point is, without advertising many things you see today are not possible to solely exist independently.

This post is not sponsored, or telling you to stop using content blockers. It's just a matter how you visualise your real and digital worlds. We already take parts of the real world into the digital, now what if we take digital into the real world.

Thanks for reading, all opinions and comments welcome. You are not required to answer the questions posted above, but just think about it. :)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
You could pay for a lifestyle where there would be blank spaces on advertising boards, no surveys or opinions through the post or over telephone, no free vouchers for discounted products.

Would you pay for this and would it be worth it? Many questions exist.
No, no Huracan thats all wrong, listen.....
Granted the boards are all blank of ads, now imagine that with your payment came the ability to show you "your content"
such as reminders, Appointments and maybe even one day SecurityTips from this very site ;) :p

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Boards will soon go digital, and when they do It will be safer and easier to change the content of the board, no more climbing up there with new ad's and rope or apoxy to apply it
All done from a linked server, this gives us and the hacker the ability to insert legally and illegaly any content you want, setting up a biz like this would be beneficial. Now when you employ this idea be sure to throw ole CyberGhosT a bone :p

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I pretty much already live in a world without advertising..and it doesn't cost me a dime.;)
My Internet experience is over 95% ad-free....& my sources used to watch TV are advert free too.

To me advertisements have no benefit and I have always wondered how they actually pay for themselves..
I mean,who isn't aware of "Coca Cola"?..and how much does a 2 minute TV commercial cost?...
..am I to believe that the psychology of the average person is that having seen a Cola or KFC Commercial they have to go out and get one immediately...I don't understand :confused:
If I want something then I search/research it myself..I can't tolerate somebody "tapping me on the shoulder" to ask me if I am interested in what they are selling.

I have never used a Voucher or a coupon for any purchase.
I have no store reward-cards, or participate in any loyalty schemes...so I can't miss what I have never had.

I am well aware that the economic system would probably collapse should everybody follow my approach, but thankfully for me there are people that either put up with or actually enjoy adverts & the action of throwing money away...
..so while that remains the case I will continue to be "An Island", Interacting with the World only when I see fit..
..and basking on a beach bereft of advertisements!

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I pretty much already live in a world without advertising..and it doesn't cost me a dime.;)
My Internet experience is over 95% ad-free....& my sources used to watch TV are advert free too.

To me advertisements have no benefit and I have always wondered how they actually pay for themselves..
I mean,who isn't aware of "Coca Cola"?..and how much does a 2 minute TV commercial cost?...
..am I to believe that the psychology of the average person is that having seen a Cola or KFC Commercial they have to go out and get one immediately...I don't understand :confused:
If I want something then I search/research it myself..I can't tolerate somebody "tapping me on the shoulder" to ask me if I am interested in what they are selling.

I have never used a Voucher or a coupon for any purchase.
I have no store reward-cards, or participate in any loyalty schemes...so I can't miss what I have never had.

I am well aware that the economic system would probably collapse should everybody follow my approach, but thankfully for me there are people that either put up with or actually enjoy adverts & the action of throwing money away...
..so while that remains the case I will continue to be "An Island", Interacting with the World only when I see fit..
..and basking on a beach bereft of advertisements!
I have a raft, and am on the way :)

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
- When browsing on one website to see a product, and then seeing this products in adds, almost every time, in a lot of other websites, omg it makes me crazy ... Even after purchased the product ...
- When browsing on another website to see another product, and then seeing this products in adds, with the first, almost every time, in a lot of other websites, omg it makes me crazy ... Even after purchased the 2nd product ...
- When browsing on another website to see another product, and then seeing all the precedent products in adds, almost every time, in a lot of other websites, omg it makes me crazy ... Even without purchased this third product ...

There are adds which are too Intrusive ... omg it makes me crazy.

More adds doesn't mean "more purchase".
Some "small" interesting websites only have adds to finance them, ok it doesn't disturb me.

An old (July 8, 2014) but interesting post :
You're not hallucinating: Ads are getting more intrusive - Digiday

Last edited:

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
i've never paid attention to ads. In my (personal) case advertising is useless: i've never bought anything after seeng it on TV/internet in
a colorful, pretty, perfect spot... My strategy was always: before buying something read magazines, reviews, ask friends/professionals (if possible), ask on forums... don't buy anything you see in TV/internet/magazine ads. So i was always satisfied with nearly every product i bought in the past....
The second question is of course: TV, internet need money from advertising..... but i think there must be better solution. The goverments
should find a better way to keep for example TV stations/internet/newpapers/ magazines etc. alive .....ads are IMO not the right way....

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I am generalising here...
But I don't think that many people weigh up the benefits of certain advertising against the downsides..
or necessarily stop to consider the ethics that may surround them.

I try to always give my custom to small businesses or sole-traders as I consider it the ethical thing to do.
The giant supermarkets in the UK spends hundreds of millions on advertising,and the poor guy that has run the local shop for most of his adult life cannot in anyway compete...
..I am guessing that those people that order everything online from companies like Amazon would complain should they visit a nearby Town/City in 10 years time and find that as they walk down the "High Street" in search of interesting little shops they instead find themselves passing only Starbucks, Subway, and McDonalds...and the irony would be that those complaining would be directly responsible for it happening..
Is it the power of advertising influencing peoples choices,or is it laziness or a lack of empathy?

A few years ago in the UK,a large well-known Bank made a series of TV adverts starring A-list Movie celebrities..
My reaction was to withdraw my money from this Bank,as those adverts suggested to me that not only were they irresponsible with money,but they also failed to see the lack of ethics in not using that money to give their existing customers a better level of service.
The frightening thing to me is that those responsible for that Bank's marketing must have had evidence that funding such advertisements would actually bring customers in....but what kind of people are those customers?

There is a fine line between a salesperson and a conman,and many of the most successful in the field have been both.
Perception is a wonderful thing!....
One person may see a 1 day a year bargain,and another will see it more as a 364 day a year con-trick.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I haven't used an adblocker in for ever. The ads I deal with aren't intrusive because I am using google AdSense to show security products. I also get nervous on the topic of adblocking due to the free internet. What if YouTube's becomes a monthly paid subscription site because there was too much adblocking. After all too much of a good thing can be bad. :)

Y

yigido

Will they track me? Will they infect me with fake download buttons? Will they collect my trends?
Will the social buttons know where I visited?
I am not against the bilboards or ad panels on the streets. Business needs advertisement.
But on digital life, it doesn't work like that.
I am totally against tracker ads, malicious ads and misleading ads! Go adblockers!

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Will they track me? Will they infect me with fake download buttons? Will they collect my trends?
Will the social buttons know where I visited?
I am not against the bilboards or ad panels on the streets. Business needs advertisement.
But on digital life, it doesn't work like that.
I am totally against tracker ads, malicious ads and misleading ads! Go adblockers!

I don't mean to sound rude but if this is the case couldn't you just fine a more secure way of finding the content your looking for. :p

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Internet ads: Can make the browsing experience slow and annoying
Real life ads: You can simply ignore them
TV ads: Change the channel

If they start doing a every 5 times you change the channel an ad will appear which stops you from changing until it's over, that would bother a lot of people.

I haven't used an adblocker in for ever. The ads I deal with aren't intrusive because I am using google AdSense to show security products. I also get nervous on the topic of adblocking due to the free internet. What if YouTube's becomes a monthly paid subscription site because there was too much adblocking. After all too much of a good thing can be bad. :)
Isn't that what Youtube Red is for?

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Internet ads: Can make the browsing experience slow and annoying
Real life ads: You can simply ignore them
TV ads: Change the channel

If they start doing a every 5 times you change the channel an ad will appear which stops you from changing until it's over, that would bother a lot of people.

Isn't that what Youtube Red is for?

Yeah it is but people would rather just use an adblocker. Over time the reevemue generated from YouTube will become less and then adblocker or not will both have to pay acsess to the site.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Yeah it is but people would rather just use an adblocker. Over time the reevemue generated from YouTube will become less and then adblocker or not will both have to pay acsess to the site.
I really don't see that happening. Youtube is one of the top 3 services Google has, and doing that will severely affect them. They will lose members both those that pay and those that don't.

What I meant was that there's no reason to make a subscription based site because they already have one.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I really don't see that happening. Youtube is one of the top 3 services Google has, and doing that will severely affect them. They will lose members both those that pay and those that don't.

What I meant was that there's no reason to make a subscription based site because they already have one.

But how do they get the revenue to propell the sdite forward?

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I hate ads, they don't influence me in any way at all. I've never gone out to buy something just cos I saw it on an ad. They're intrusive and annoying, especially on the internet. I'm grateful for ad blockers and ghostery cos they keep them out of my way...
I could not have said it any better, very well put. ;)

simbelmayne

Level 3
Verified
Jul 4, 2016
Advertising is an important part of modern world, and it matters. It's not really good idea to remove ALL ads from everywhere. Of course, there's a lot of spam and useless things, and context ads, that are showing you the stuff that you bought a month ago, but there are also a good things! It's a good thing to know that the 50% off sale is coming in the bike (hardware, musical instrument etc.) shop, so you can just go and buy the thing that you want. The world completely without ads will be a rough place for 90% of us.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.