Local Host Security Config

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Local Host

As an experienced user I normally go on without any Anti-Virus program.

I feel like supporting Kaspersky at the moment due to the US false propaganda (bought a one year license). I have all the modules enabled (File, Web, System Watcher, IM and Mail) with Security level at low, to spare resources.

Malwarebytes and ZAM (Portable) do full scans once a week, I mostly use them to scan suspicious files once in a while though.

I rarely navigate outside the same trusted websites, and don't download Software from third-parties (always get the files from the developer website).

I don't remember the last time an Anti-Virus program detected Malware on my Computer (outside false positives and testing in Virtual Machine).

I do not use system backups (have Windows backup and restore functions disabled) cause I rather format/reset since it's more clean, plus I have all my important files in the cloud (OneDrive).

Updates
  • Added ZAM (Portable) as On-Demand Scan (08/10/2017)
  • Switched Google Chrome for Vivaldi (09/10/2017)
  • Switched Google Chrome for Mozilla Firefox (09/10/2017)
  • Switched Mozilla Firefox for Vivaldi (10/10/2017)
  • Kaspersky Protection (Extension) Disabled (10/10/2017)
  • Switched Vivaldi for Google Chrome (14/11/2017)
  • Kaspersky Protection (Extension) Enabled (14/11/2017)

Last edited:

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I would like to suggest a good free and reliable backup solution such as Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper both have a free and reliable solution for you. :) I see you do not like backups but I still suggest one. ;)

L

Local Host

I would like to suggest a good free and reliable backup solution such as Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper both have a free and reliable solution for you. :) I see you do not like backups but I still suggest one. ;)
I'll consider Macrium Reflect once I get a NAS, :unsure:

Since you do backup data in OneDrive, you should edit the thread field about data backup.
Done :giggle:

L

Local Host

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Implement some type of system backup solution.
Consider backing up important data to an external drive also even with one drive.
Consider setting UAC to Max.
Secure Windows 10 config! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

L

Local Host

Due to privacy concerns I switched from Google Chrome to Vivaldi, although Vivaldi is extremely slow is the only browser besides Google Chrome that works perfectly in all the websites I visit.

Never trusted Google, but I had no choice until now (cause all the other browsers had issues in at least one of the websites I visit). All the extensions from Google Chrome also work on Vivaldi so hopefully I won't run into any issues!

Looks like Kaspersky Protect doesn't work on Vivaldi, so I'll use Mozilla Firefox instead :cry:

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
As an experienced user I normally go on without any Anti-Virus program.
Using AV and being experienced user are not strongly correlated. From the point of probability view, the experienced user has the same problem as a reasonable man when thinking about life insurance. It is an open personal question.
Some smart people have no life insurance at all, and will die in peace after the 100-th birthday. I wish you to be in that group.:)
Edit.
I think we can all agree, that 'experienced user + BRAIN' is safer than 'inexperienced user + AV'.
But also, 'experienced user + AV' is often a good solution, especially from psychological point of view.:coffee:(y)

Last edited:
L

Local Host

You can also try Yandex browser if you don't like the Vivaldi :notworthy:
I like Vivaldi, but I'm having trouble with extensions, mostly Kaspersky Protection (I heard it refuses to work on any browser outside IE, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and Opera).

Kaspersky response so far:
I will question the expert team to see if they are aware of the situation and if we have some news. But as you can understand our program is compatible with the major web browsers and Vivaldi its not one of them, anyway i will escalate the subject and when i have one answer i will send it to you. Thanks have a nice day.

Vivaldi response so far:
I'm guessing the dev who's working on the Kaspersky issue is trying to figure out exactly that, how to hack it to make it work with Vivaldi. But he is rather busy, so unfortunately, I don't know how long it will take him to figure that out.

Thank you for your patience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.