Looking for a HIPS. Any suggestions?

giulia

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
hi
my security system is eset smart security v10 (buggy) but force to use v10 to have compatiblity with w10 pro updated

i'm looking for an hip , i know eset include a simple firewall and an hips

but i would like to have an advanced hips , free or paid

are there still around ? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

do you use hips ? i know only comodo , but i want only the hips not the firewall or antivirus
thanks
have a great day

hope it's the right sub forum

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Assuming Comodo hips is not broken for you and removes rules on it's own then it's the only hips alive. What i want to ask is why do you believe you need a hips? Hips is something old with too many alerts. What you should be looking is for a good behaviour blocker.

EDIT: @Jeff_T - Testing Group is right, forgot that.

Last edited:

hi
my security system is eset smart security v10 (buggy) but force to use v10 to have compatiblity with w10 pro updated

i'm looking for an hip , i know eset include a simple firewall and an hips

but i would like to have an advanced hips , free or paid

are there still around ? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

do you use hips ? i know only comodo , but i want only the hips not the firewall or antivirus
thanks
have a great day

hope it's the right sub forum

The only standalone HIPS that remains on the market that is actively developed and supported is SpyShelter Premium. SpyShelter Premium is branded an anti-logger, but it is first and foremost a HIPS. It is the only game in town.

Comprehensive, standalone "advanced" HIPS like Malware Defender and Defensewall are long gone from the market.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
if you put eset hips in the interactive mode, it is pretty powerful and configurable, it can even block process hollowing if you configure it right. So why not use it? the automatic mode is kind of rudimentary, but you don't have to stay in automatic mode.
Here's an idea for you: put ESET HIPS in training mode for a while, and then switch to interactive mode.

FYI: You might run into conflicts if you install two products that have a HIPS component.

giulia

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
The only standalone HIPS that remains on the market that is actively developed and supported is SpyShelter Premium. SpyShelter Premium is branded an anti-logger, but it is first and foremost a HIPS. It is the only game in town.

Comprehensive, standalone "advanced" HIPS like Malware Defender and Defensewall are long gone from the market.
hi
malware defender is free , no more updated, is stable under windows 10 pro?

giulia

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
You could use Comodo but disable other components :)
hi
thanks
but i can't do a custom installation

hi
i could give it a try , hope it's stable with eset smart security

if you put eset hips in the interactive mode, it is pretty powerful and configurable, it can even block process hollowing if you configure it right. So why not use it? the automatic mode is kind of rudimentary, but you don't have to stay in automatic mode.
Here's an idea for you: put ESET HIPS in training mode for a while, and then switch to interactive mode.

FYI: You might run into conflicts if you install two products that have a HIPS component.
hi
i know it , you are talking about V10 , it's pretty nice buggy , v8 is still the best version
but eset hips in interactive mode is pain , in smart in unless
thnaks

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
Whatever HIPS you chose, if you decide to use training mode then don't forget to reboot in this mode.

Thanx. Glad to hear that. I like SS. Its free is very close to premium with respect to HIPS.

Ha, btw just found on their site: "As of 13 October, 2016 SpyShelter Free Anti-Keylogger will no longer be supported. We have lowered the prices of SpyShelter Premium and SpyShelter Firewall 1 year licenses to make upgrade process more affordable."

Last edited:

hi
i could give it a try , hope it's stable with eset smart security

It is not recommended practice to combine two HIPS products together - even if you disable the HIPS module in one of the products. Conflicts that cause unexpected behaviors and malfunctions are possible.

Based upon your original post it appears that you were searching for an ESET replacement. It seemed as if you wanted to replace ESS 10 with a HIPS-only product.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
if you run into conflicts with spyshelter, it is usually the keystroke hooks that are to blame.
It often helps to uninstall, and then reinstall but disable the keystroke hooks component right away, during installation process. This will not affect the core HIPS protection, only certain antikeylogger protections and keystroke encryption.

spyshelter does function as an anti-executable.

the downside of spyshelter (besides the price) is that it is not so effective against ransomware...

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
hi
thanks
but i can't do a custom installation
after installing COMODO, you can uninstall all its other components (you do it with the regular Windows uninstall programs feature, you will see an option for change/uninstall, and you use "change"). You can keep only the firewall. That is the part that has the HIPS. If they pushed Chromodo browser and geek buddy on you, they can be uninstalled separately. You will see them listed as separate programs.
Then you can go into COMODO settings, and disable everything except HIPS.

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
after installing COMODO, you can uninstall all its other components (you do it with the regular Windows uninstall programs feature, you will see an option for change/uninstall, and you use "change"). You can keep only the firewall. That is the part that has the HIPS. If they pushed Chromodo browser and geek buddy on you, they can be uninstalled separately. You will see them listed as separate programs.
Then you can go into COMODO settings, and disable everything except HIPS.
Its better to uncheck AV, GeekBuddy, Chromodo etc during install. There's such option.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
just an idea: try ReHIPS, you might be very happy with it. It gives you whitelisting and HIPS, and if you don't want to use the isolation, you don't have to. The HIPS is not as complex as that of COMODO, but maybe that is good.
ReHIPS should be compatible with ESET. It is designed to work in combo with an AV suite, if the user so wishes.

giulia

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
just an idea: try ReHIPS, you might be very happy with it. It gives you whitelisting and HIPS, and if you don't want to use the isolation, you don't have to. The HIPS is not as complex as that of COMODO, but maybe that is good.
ReHIPS should be compatible with ESET. It is designed to work in combo with an AV suite, if the user so wishes.
hi
i have read about it, never found a link to download it and try it
i guess it's no offcial
thanks

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
hi
i have read about it, never found a link to download it and try it
i guess it's no offcial
thanks
correct, it is in private beta, but you can get in, by posting a request on this thread
How to get beta v2.2?
you will get a private message with a link to download.
It is very stable, it doesn't suffer from the bugs you would expect from a beta release. People like it.
If you don't use isolation, you won't really feel that it is beta.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.