Looking for a HIPS. Any suggestions?

M

MalwareBlockerYT

What is actually wrong with ESET? It should be fine, if I was using ESET this would be my config:

ESET Internet Security
ZAL - Demand or Realtime
MalwareBytes Premium - Demand or Realtime
VoodooShield Pro - Whitelisting

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
What is actually wrong with ESET? It should be fine, if I was using ESET this would be my config:

ESET Internet Security
ZAL - Demand or Realtime
MalwareBytes Premium - Demand or Realtime
VoodooShield Pro - Whitelisting
The OP said "eset hips in interactive mode is a pain", and there is a lot of truth to that comment.

giulia

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
dr.web katana?
hi
do you use it? i would like to see a review
thanks

I know but the simplest option would just be to stick with ESET. Adding any other applications just slows the PC down. I would just recommend switching to Comodo for the HIPs.
hi
in the past comodo ,with its drivers caused bsod , do you mean the new version? can i do a custom install ?
how can i install only comodo firewall?
thanks

Reactions: AtlBo

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
hi
do you use it? i would like to see a review
thanks

hi
in the past comodo ,with its drivers caused bsod , do you mean the new version? can i do a custom install ?
how can i install only comodo firewall?
thanks
a recent poster complained of BSODs after installing COMODO 8 (current version), and then he posted later that he tried COMODO 10 latest beta, and all went well. Maybe it will work for you, too?

You can use the firewall installer, that way you will not get the antivirus component.
I did this last night, and somehow I got tricked into installing also the browser and geek buddy, maybe I just wasn't paying attention? Anyhow, I uninstalled them afterwards, no sweat.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Could it be said 360 HIPS are similar to VoodooShield Ai component? I should watch cruelsister's 360 v ransomeware video again to see if the blocks were HIPS or file recognition. Seems the HIPS in 360 are at least pretty good, looking at the behavior monitor logging. It's true, though. No control element for the HIPS settings of processes.

Reactions: giulia

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Could it be said 360 HIPS are similar to VoodooShield Ai component? I should watch cruelsister's 360 v ransomeware video again to see if the blocks were HIPS or file recognition. Seems the HIPS in 360 are at least pretty good, looking at the behavior monitor logging. It's true, though. No control element for the HIPS settings of processes.
I think it would be stretching it to compare 360 HIPS to Ai. It's two different technologies.
But I must admit that 360 is the strongest HIPS/BB that you can get in a free product.

Reactions: giulia and AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
All the blocks but one in cruelsister's video were either file system protection or process protection, both HIPS. File system was mostly startup related but also desktop .ini. The process protection blocks were very sharp, and the pop ups were helpful, pointing to "the vulnerable" process being threatened or to a possible danger in allowing.

Only one malware detection hit with all those HIPS hits. That does seem very solid to me. Then considering the Avira and Bitdefender defs, 360 sure seems to be a commander for a free a-v/recognition based program. By my best judgement, the best I have seen so far, also.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.