Advice Request Looking for firewall that performs like Netlimiter

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
I am curious if there is another firewall (Other than Comodo and Zone Alarm, which I don't believe does what I am looking for) that is like Netlimiter in that it sends a pause to an application when it alerts the user to allow or deny the connection. I love the idea of the feature but most firewalls just completely break the connection and you usually have to re-run the program again after allowing the prompt. Which can get annoying and frustrating, especially if your program is doing just an update for instance. Netlimiter also doesn't alert user again after a program updates and changes which I like. I know that could be considered a security flaw but as an example: The glyph program for online games like Trove or Rift sometimes has updates and normal firewalls will yell at you and then the update breaks and you have to hit allow and then try again and then it doesn't recognize the program since it has changed and alerts you again after the update. (This insane loop goes on and on, especially after every program update.) Any thoughts or ideas or suggestions?

Reactions: Protomartyr

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I'm not sure whether SterJo NetStalker meets your requirements. It is a network monitoring software - not a firewall, but makes the same thing for you and works on similar priciples as a firewall. No bandwidth limiting feature though

Else try

FortKnox Personal Firewall. No bandwidth limiting feature again

Last edited:

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
@Tutman
Risng Firewall can be the answer for your needs...it's free. Some usful info in the thread below

Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
GlassWire - Personal Firewall & Network Monitor has network monitoring and bandwidth limiting functions but it's not a freeware.
Thanks I have tried it but it doesn't send a pause to the application.

I'm not sure whether SterJo NetStalker meets your requirements. It is a network monitoring software - not a firewall, but makes the same thing for you and works on similar priciples as a firewall. No bandwidth limiting feature though

Else try

FortKnox Personal Firewall. No bandwidth limiting feature again

Not sure I have heard of Netstalker, I will check into that. Thanks! I don't need bandwidth limiting options. And I have tried fort knox and the latest version gives BSOD for me and my wife's PC!

@Tutman
Risng Firewall can be the answer for your needs...it's free. Some usful info in the thread below
Thanks I will look into that one!

Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020

Tried netstalker too, didn't work as I wanted. :( Thanks for the suggestion!

Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
@Tutman
It looks like maybe abandoned? I see a V17 on the website but it shows for antivirus and paid. I did find another older link but the application would not install. I do remember trying this firewall once last year and forgot about it. I guess will stick with NetLimiter as I don't see any other program free or paid that sends a pause to your application trying to dial out so you can respond instead of just breaking the connection. (Which is a very useful and unique feature!)

Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
Never used Zone Alarm but actually Comodo Firewall does what you're looking for.
I have used it in the past, just a few month ago too but I don't remember it pausing any application. It would pop up the request and then would have to restart the application. I will have to check it out again but I don't like the extra processes and telemetry. Which reminds me, I will not touch Checkpoint (aka) Zone alarm ever again. Was aggressively installing all kinds of extra services and features and was VERY hard to remove cleanly!

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I have used it in the past, just a few month ago too but I don't remember it pausing any application. It would pop up the request and then would have to restart the application. I will have to check it out again but I don't like the extra processes and telemetry. Which reminds me, I will not touch Checkpoint (aka) Zone alarm ever again. Was aggressively installing all kinds of extra services and features and was VERY hard to remove cleanly!
It does. I tested it few days ago. But it's true that it has a lot of things going on. It's not just a Firewall and has a lot of extra things that one may not like. I can't think of any free alternative at the moment. Paid AVs like ESET IS has amazing interactive firewall.

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
It looks like maybe abandoned? I see a V17 on the website but it shows for antivirus and paid. I did find another older link but the application would not install. I do remember trying this firewall once last year and forgot about it. I guess will stick with NetLimiter as I don't see any other program free or paid that sends a pause to your application trying to dial out so you can respond instead of just breaking the connection. (Which is a very useful and unique feature!)
This is the latest version and no upgrades for it - V16 24.00.57.29 ...link to download is OK. About 30 min ago I've downloaded installation file without surprise...the same while installation process
Below some screenshots of maine window and the tab with tools you will be interrested...one is what you search - "NetApps" with option to controll speed of transfer. In columns "Download/Upload speed" you should push the icon of pen and type your limit (deffault settings is unlimited)
200501181507_3.jpg 200501181820_5.jpg
200501182715_7.jpg 200501182405_6.jpg

Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
It does. I tested it few days ago. But it's true that it has a lot of things going on. It's not just a Firewall and has a lot of extra things that one may not like. I can't think of any free alternative at the moment. Paid AVs like ESET IS has amazing interactive firewall.
Yes I know it is very good with the firewall and hips and virus scope! I may give it a try again soon. Thanks for testing!

This is the latest version and no upgrades for it - V16 24.00.57.29 ...link to download is OK. About 30 min ago I've downloaded installation file without surprise...the same while installation process
Below some screenshots of maine window and the tab with tools you will be interrested...one is what you search - "NetApps" with option to controll speed of transfer. In columns "Download/Upload speed" you should push the icon of pen and type your limit (deffault settings is unlimited)
View attachment 238458 View attachment 238459
View attachment 238461 View attachment 238460
Ok I will try again. Not interested in bandwidth limits really, just the ability to not break and outgoing internet signal for an application. I want it to pause and resume after I hit allow on network alert. Do you know if it does that?

Reactions: Protomartyr

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
If I correctly understood you want to not to break connection of single specific process/processes but e.g. block others?...or vice versa? You can do this making proper rules for them...one is blocked and second is allowed....but it works permanently what means that you have to change manualy each needed rule to change situation. Unfortunately I don't remember firewall or another network app that could open or close connection for some group of chosen apps using some magic button or command...normaly you can block/allow connection at all using command like "block/allow connections"..."block/allow network traffic" or something like that. Hmmm...aldough "something is going in my head"...I think about firewalls like NetVeda or Filsecklab in which there was something like group rules..but they were on XP and I can't check it.

Last edited:

Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
If I correctly understood you want to not to break connection of single specific process/processes but e.g. block others?...or vice versa? You can do this making proper rules for them...one is blocked and second is allowed....but it works permanently what means that you have to change manualy each needed rule to change situation. Unfortunately I don't remember firewall or another network app that could open or close connection for some group of chosen apps using some magic button or command...normaly you can block/allow connection at all using command like "block/allow connections"..."block/allow network traffic" or something like that. Hmmm...aldough "something is going in my head"...I think about firewalls like NetVeda or Filsecklab in which there was something like group rules..but they were on XP and I can't check it.
No I am talking about playing nicely with all applications like Netlimiter does. IE: When a program wants to dial out for example to do an update and the firewall stops it and gives you the prompt "You want to allow this program to dial out to the internet"? And you hit yes but with most firewall programs the connection is now broken. The application gives you an error and/or you have to re-run it or hit try again to check for updates... Netlimiter to me seems unique in that it tells the application "One sec. please" and when you hit allow then it lets the program resume with no breakage or interference. Someone said Comodo firewall also will do this too but I have not tested it yet. IMHO this should not be a special feature but a default all firewalls should do!

Last edited:

Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
OK...I think you could try SpyShelter free - it's firewall with HIPS module and I think it sticks to your expectation. As I observed it's waiting for your decision and don't close process before you do it.
Hmm I have used it in the past and didn't remember it dong that! I did notice it says updated but I thought the free version was already version 12 the end of last year. (And it was lagging on running with my system for the prompts to pop up) I will give it another try. Thanks!

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Few months...and even years (I'm using on XP firewall from 2004)...are not so important because apps like firewall/HIPS don't depend on updating signatures or so. All rules are the effect of your own decision or earlier activated option/features. You can use free SS without doubts...in firewall module actualy there is no differences between paid and free except only one inactive option - Aplication Execution Control (parent/child processes). Here is what is monitored in free version

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.