Not open for further replies.

cookinpro

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2013
Hi all,
Unfortunately I had to replace my windows phone (Nokia 635) with an Android (LG-G4)

I am looking for a security app for my LG-G4 that is free, effective, does not eat up battery life, and has a simple easy to use interface. It seems that there are too many choices. What are your opinions and experiences? Which one of the multitude would be a great choice?

rupeshkj

Level 7
Verified
Oct 31, 2013
I have been using Android (Zenfone 5) with many stock to custom ROMS till date and just download reputed apps from play store, Haven't Had any malware till now and neither do i have a security software installed for over a yr.

So if you are just careful and download reputed apps from play store, you should be fine too.

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
Easy to use i would choose bitdefender. u dont need to change settings(there are no settings) and it does a nice job so that is what ur looking for i gues. I myself would go for avira free( nice pup/pua detection, eset(paid) best one i have found for android without bloat like 360security with crap booster etc.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Bitdefender Free Antivirus for Android.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bitdefender.antivirus
- Automatically scans storage upon device restart.
- Automatically checks new or updates apps.

Under the Settings > Security > Device Administrators you can Allow Android Device Manager to manage your Android device if lost or stolen. You are not required to download the Android Device Manager from the Google Play Store.

Last edited:

cookinpro

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2013
Thank you to all of you whom responded :D
As of the moment I have Sophos Mobile Security 6.1
I have checked out and researched https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/moviles/ and have learned a fair amount.
I'm not quite sure I like Sophos so I'll probably switch to either AVL Pro or Bitdefender.
Do any of you have any thoughts on AhnLab V3 Mobile Security 3.1?
I'm thinking the simpler the better :cool:
I really appreciate MalwareTips , it really is the best!!!

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Hi!
Android doesn't have viruses as such. Apps run in sandbox. Still, some apps may:
  • steal data or perform malicious activities due to the permissions you've given to the app during installation
  • download files or unnecessary apps suspiciously, again because the app demanded unnecessary permissions during installation (rare cases of unwanted apps, happens mostly if downloaded from unofficial sources)
  • If you've rooted your phone, the case will be entirely different. Phone gets more vulnerable at diff levels.
In all cases, it's more about the permissions you give or the tweaks you've made to the system.

LIGHT SOLUTIONS -
  1. CM Security Lite (it also patches vulnerabilities to prevent malware attacks) - without unnecessary components
  2. Bitdefender Antivirus Free - All of these detect suspicious apps demanding unnecessary permissions and known malware.
  3. If you browse suspicious sites on Android, use CM Security Full
FULL SUITE -
  1. Avast Security (in-app purchases) - antivirus, call blocker, app lock, web shield, cleaner etc. One of the oldest like AVG
  2. Bitdefender Security (in-app purchases) - antivirus, privacy advisor, applock, web shield etc.
  3. CM Security - antivirus, FIX COMMON VULNERABILITIES, applock and vault, call blocking, web shield

CM security and 360 Security claim to fare a First Rank in AV tests.
Bitdefender, Kaspersky etc are some of the established names that came to Android.
There are others like Zemana, Eset, AMC, Comodo, Lookout.

However I've provided the simple and famous ones.
You can choose at your wish :-D

ant_gamal

Level 5
Verified
Dec 30, 2016
2 years ago I used paid version eset mobile security but I hacked by my friend
I got a notification on tab from my friend number
I opened it a file became in my ( do it ) app with some writing normal text
Then tab became crazy lot of restarting
Till know I don't know how it happened
My tab broken so I can not test another antivirus

For fire phone I used webroot paid one year
Not bad not good

I tried for the new one tab
1-cracked ahnlab lifetime but removed many menus and I did not like
2- sophes but I removed it not light on system
3- eset free beta version light but I worried about my last experience to happened again
4- remove eset today and install bitdefender with 6 manthes try (giveaway)

Searching for antivirus also toget

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.