Status
Not open for further replies.

Overlord

Level 10
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 22, 2013
One year ago I used paid version eset mobile security. Now I use Bitdefender mobile security premium.:)

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
@Parsh Bad experience with Cheetah Mobile (CM Security) for Android and personally I don't recommend using their Apps.
What kind of bad experience may I ask?
CM Security and 360 had been amateurs but pioneers in android and their complementary free products have made them more famous today.
No doubt about the superiority of BD and Avast.

Still I will say that Cheetah improved and was effective in general when I used it

One year ago I used paid version eset mobile security. Now I use Bitdefender mobile security premium.:)
Bitdefender is fab.
But I wouldn't prefer an antivirus if you don't have a rooted phone and you don't install apps from unsafe sites (or unofficial ones).

Same. Bitdefender Mobile Security and Avast Mobile Security are much better alternatives.
I've Avast engine in Security app of my MIUI:-D
It has Tencent and AVL engines as options. A triple engine security app, though not needed

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Marko :)

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
I'm using Zemana mobile antivirus (paid) and Adguard free version against ADS and malversting.

But we must not underestimate Android malware because it is capable of doing many things without the user noticing anything: to send personal data to a remote server, it is able to enter a white text on white background to hide itself and it can sleep for months in your phone before of wake up by starting to search and send data...

Be careful when an app asks to access the camera when there is no need or it asks for internet access when this is not reasonable.

You have to think before giving permission...to any app.

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

Hello, I use Dr. web Security Space, because it has a VPN so you get that firewall you need for Android, i purchased a lifetime subscription.
I don't know if you have to have the lifetime model to get the VPN:)
Sorry I double posted, i just wanted to share the firewall opportunity:)

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
What kind of bad experience may I ask?
CM Security and 360 had been amateurs but pioneers in android and their complementary free products have made them more famous today.
No doubt about the superiority of BD and Avast.

Still I will say that Cheetah improved and was effective in general when I used it
@Parsh

I guess it happened also to you to see a message like this: “Your device is infected” or “You have been infected by (4) virus” while you are browsing with your phone. These are nothing more than misleading advertising and bad marketing: you guess what happens if you follow the message by pressing OK? You are redirected to the link of CM Security or Clean Master from Play Store, as the solution to the fake problem.

Simply this is scareware and how you can entrust your device and the data it contains to this company?

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
@Parsh

I guess it happened also to you to see a message like this: “Your device is infected” or “You have been infected by (4) virus” while you are browsing with your phone. These are nothing more than misleading advertising and bad marketing: you guess what happens if you follow the message by pressing OK? You are redirected to the link of CM Security or Clean Master from Play Store, as the solution to the fake problem.

Simply this is scareware and how you can entrust your device and the data it contains to this company?
I would like to send you PM but I can't, I don't know why. If you have disabled PMs, can you enable it for a minute? :)

ant_gamal

Level 5
Verified
Dec 30, 2016
Need more details about how message was delivered to you, which App was used, if you clicked on a URL from the message, and if your friend's device was compromised.

There is no link in the message
Only what I got notification for something with my friend number
Click on notification and then message text stored on ( do it ) appz

My friend was not with me at this time
Also I did not meet him 3 or 4 days ago

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
@Parsh

you guess what happens if you follow the message by pressing OK? You are redirected to the link of CM Security or Clean Master from Play Store, as the solution to the fake problem.
Got ya point! Have seen those divert to CM security. Basically it's to SCARE the ignorant or uneducated android users to up their app download. Agreed.

Crypto

Level 2
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
Generally, if you just download apps from Google Play instead from 3rd parties the chances of you getting infected are slim. I personally use Clean Master as it is a cleaning application with an antivirus merged with it.

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
No offense to anyone but I don't get it why would anyone use some ad fested app like Clean Master, when you can clean all temporary files from within settings of OS as you can see in the screenshot attached. In my test, I have found that cleaning from settings cleans more temp files than Clean Master does. And boost ram is just a gimmick it doesn't nothing to free up ram or improve performance of OS.

But if you guys still want to use app to clean temporary files, there are better ad free options like SD Maid.

For security, if you install app only from play store, you are less likely to get infected. For protection from malvertising or to remove ads while browsing, you can use app like AdGuard or Seven AdClear or use browser with built in adblocker.

Thanks !!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170123-203809.png
    Screenshot_20170123-203809.png
    57.7 KB · Views: 336
Reactions: ant_gamal

DC47561

Level 3
Verified
Feb 3, 2017
I would personally recommend Sophos mobile security - has anti-theft and a web filter with customizable filtering options. You should be reasonably safe as long as you don't root the device or install apps from un-trusted sources.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Personally you don't have to have any security on your Android as long as you know what apps you are installing and have read reviews on the app and have checked the option where it does not download apps from unknown sources. I have and still currently do this on my mobile setup, but have only recently added Trend Micro Mobile security to my mobile setup as I won a 3 month licence promotion to it.

The security apps are good because they do give you the option of blocking numbers you don't want to receive and block websites etc, but for your money there is no point as you can use the locate my Android with the standard Android features.

Reactions: brambedkar59
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.