Looking for software updater with large database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebsat

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Thank you for reminding me regarding this. I am looking for this kinda software too. Any good software/tool worth to mention?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What kind of software needs updating? If possible, list in Spoiler.
I am looking for software updater with large database of programs and automatic installation of the updates. I don't mind to buy it.

Thank you for reminding me regarding this. I am looking for this kinda software too. Any good software/tool worth to mention?

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I use Kaspersky internet security which has this feature plus a feature the same as unchecky built in, but a few years ago I used FileHippo update checker. Not a clue if that's still a good choice though.

RXZ6Q

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 30, 2016
Oh, I forgot to mention that I am looking solely for standalone app. Spawn, I will upload list of installed apps (screenshoot) when I get home, may I :)?

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
While there are a number of software updaters, only two or three have a large database.

SUMo has the largest database of updates, but lacks automatic installation of updates. UpdateStar has never really impressed me, as it gets some updates wrong.

On my main laptop, SUmo finds between 161 and 177 updates (the number of updates varies, and I have no idea why), and in comparison UpdateStar finds 119.

Software Update from Glarysoft, does a reasonable job of finding updates, and the paid Pro version does silent automatic installation of updates.

AMD1

Level 5
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
Update Checker from filehippo is very good :)

i too am looking for an software updater but i cant get this Filehippo one to work. I click on the desktop shortcut and nothing happens. I can see that its being blocked anywhere ??

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
While there are a number of software updaters, only two or three have a large database.

SUMo has the largest database of updates, but lacks automatic installation of updates. UpdateStar has never really impressed me, as it gets some updates wrong.
According to their website they say, Automatic self-update is available in SUMo Pro version. I don't know how good are it's automatic updates/direct-access updates because I don't have the Pro version, but it's database of softwares is huge.

Make sure to download only the portable version or the lite installer, as the regular installer is ridden with adware.

5xRK5bg.png

Last edited:

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
  1. Heimdal Security (free) -- important apps -- autoupdate (pro version has anti-exploit layers)
  2. Kaspersky Software Updater (free, standalone) -- critical apps -- few clicks to update
  3. SUMO (free) -- as mentioned above by @roger_m, large db, lacks autoupdate (can check for drivers too, if DUMO is installed)
  4. FileHippo Update checker (free) -- huge list -- few clicks to update
  5. Kerish Doctor (paid) -- a true multiutility for Windows maintenance -- shows level of vulnerability in installed apps -- few clicks to update
  6. AppFalcon (mostly in promotion) -- app manager -- few clicks to update (shows incorrect info often)

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Automatic self-update is available in SUMo Pro version from their website. I don't know how good are it's automatic updates/direct-access updates because I don't have the Pro version, but it's database of softwares is huge.
That's to auto-update the SUMO app itself, not the other installed apps ..

Reactions: jackuars

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
That's to auto-update the SUMO app itself, not the other installed apps ..

Thanks for clearing that. I'd rather stick to Direct Access to developers website which is available in the Pro version rather than auto-updating itself, because I want to see what happens in the background. For the huge database itself it's worth paying for, even though it's free.

Reactions: RXZ6Q and Parsh

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Here is my list of software, but it's not all software I am using, I will add some in future:

http://i.imgur.com/Z7yNYGJ.png
http://i.imgur.com/1SdjSmg.png

SUMo can find updates to almost all of them, even for games & for drivers [with DUMo]. But as mentioned above it doesn't have auto-updates but links to the developers website to download.

In short no software can give you the right mix of big database and auto-update, because auto-updater's supports only few selected softwares.

Reactions: roger_m and RXZ6Q

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Here is my list of software, but it's not all software I am using, I will add some in future:

http://i.imgur.com/Z7yNYGJ.png
http://i.imgur.com/1SdjSmg.png
Most of the software updaters focus only on critical or famous software and won't cover the many apps you or any of us have installed.
Having said that, update checkers like FileHippo will cover a larger database of s/w because they provide a huge list of s/w on their servers.
For the remaining s/w, the built-in update checking mechanism should be used. Like Adobe or iTunes (standard examples) have by default enabled checking for update themselves. That may add performance and time costs.

Reactions: roger_m

Rengar

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
i too am looking for an software updater but i cant get this Filehippo one to work. I click on the desktop shortcut and nothing happens. I can see that its being blocked anywhere ??
Maybe a firewall is blocking it

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
SUMo and Kaspersky software updater are the best :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.