Status
Not open for further replies.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Most of the software updaters focus only on critical or famous utlility software and won't cover the many apps you or any of us have installed.
Having said that, update checkers like FileHippo will cover a larger database of s/w because they provide a huge list of s/w on their servers.
For the remaining s/w, the built-in update checking mechanism should be used. Like Adobe or iTunes (standard examples) have by default enabled checking for update themselves. That may add performance and time costs.

I wish Softpedia provided a stand-alone app for it, because it's has the largest online repository of softwares. But it does allow update notifications for softwares you have subscribed in it's database.

Reactions: Parsh

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Try Secunia PSI. This is the best free updater in my opinion.
The website mentions about free trials for all products, however the product page mentions 'Download free'. Is the auto-update version totally free for personal use?

Nheo_Linkin

Level 1
Verified
Feb 19, 2017
The website mentions about free trials for all products, however the product page mentions 'Download free'. Is the auto-update version totally free for personal use?
Auto-update feature is totally free. It has 3 options for update:
- Update (which is auto)
- Download, let me update
- Notify.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014

Not really happy about Secunia PSI. It just shows 1 update for a program compared to 15 updates found by SUMo. Secunia PSI even detected softwares installed on the system that are not up-to-date as the latest version.

Although the option to directly download updates in Secunia PSI sounds cool [if it detects the update ;)]. The 78 products loaded in Secunia compared to 68 in SUMo is because I have not enabled the option to check for Microsoft Updates in SUMo which is turned on in Secunia.

geQTvpn.png

Last edited:

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I too have to suggest Secunia PSI.
When i was using it i was very satisfied.

Nheo_Linkin

Level 1
Verified
Feb 19, 2017
Not really happy about Secunia PSI. It just shows 1 update for a program compared to 15 updates found by SUMo. Secunia PSI even detected softwares installed on the system that are not up-to-date as the latest version.

Although the options to directly download updates in Secunia PSI sounds cool [if it detects the update ;)]
So SUMo just scan for update only?

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
It worked on my VM; it didn't work on my desktop and laptop. This was last week. Their website was sloooooow too.

I switched to SUMo/DUMo and am very happy with those.

I also use PatchMyPC (portable app); it caught AdblockPlusIE update; SUMo did not.

I can't say I'd be comfortable with installing File Hippo software; their site is bad enough (shoving ads and drive-bys in your face).

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I have Kaspersky Total Security and Filehippo is coming up as a trusted application so i dont know what would be blocking it. I will check Malwarebytes Anti-Malware too
First, if you've KIS, why install FileHippo? FileHippo doesn't have auto-update. Is it to get updates for larger list of sw?

*If you're able to run all other apps, maybe MBAM is blocking it, but it should not actually. Did you check out the logs?

*If you right-click the Kaspersky icon in taskbar, under
Tools>>Application Activity>>All Applications>>click on Last Run twice (to get descending order of last run apps).
Now, since FileHippo is trusted, it shouldn't be shown as blocked.
Keep that screen on and rerun Filehippo. Do you see that the FileHippo.exe gets 'closed' immediately? Kaspersky shows 'closed' label if it is so. Then mostly it's being terminated by some security mechanism, otherwise it should at least have run for sometime.

You can even check network activity of FileHippo under Tools>>Network Monitor.
You might then want to try a reinstall of the app.

John Burns

Level 1
Verified
Jan 20, 2017
I've found SuMo to be very good - Kyle Katrin responds to Beta corrections etc very fast. It has an email link in settings to directly notify him of problems. The only warning I have about SuMo is to be sure to go to KC Softwares site to download and only download Sumo Lite, to keep from downloading any junk. It's been one of my favorites for several years now and I recommend it.

I also used Secunia PSI until just recently when it seemed to become a little "buggy" in that it wasn't always responding and the program was spasmodic.

Reactions: Rolo

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Reactions: Rolo

Kyle_Katarn

From KC Softwares
Verified
Developer
Sep 28, 2013
It worked on my VM; it didn't work on my desktop and laptop. This was last week. Their website was sloooooow too.

I switched to SUMo/DUMo and am very happy with those.

I also use PatchMyPC (portable app); it caught AdblockPlusIE update; SUMo did not.

I can't say I'd be comfortable with installing File Hippo software; their site is bad enough (shoving ads and drive-bys in your face).

Thanks !!! (i'm SUMo/DUMo developper)

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Indeed, KCSumo is the best update notifier out there, it has a huge great database.

But I have settled with update notifications via email. TairikuOkami's software subscriptions

For the record, Secunia is made for known security updates only, not for every update available.

Reactions: Rebsat
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.