Battle Looking to buy a $600 Desktop PC. Which one would you recommend?

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Could you go for a used PC? Reason I ask is that you can pick up a great computer for well under $200 on ebay if you know what to seek or if you are willing to do a little bit of research.

Specs for $170
HP z230
Xeon E3-1230 v3
250 GB Crucial SSD (new)
16 GB ddr3
500 GB 6 G/s backup drive
USB 3
Sata 3
Nvidia Quadro 510 graphics card
Windows 10

On ebay the above without the SSD I added was $120 delivered to the front door. Generally, these computers are so lightly used, they might as well be new. Seems corporations often don't use them very hard even if they are running during the daytime.

Here is a good example on ebay:

No ssd but you can add one for around $30 for a 250 GB drive. This is even better:

Very good deal this one. Just make sure the feedback of the seller is good.

Last edited:

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
In the $500-$600 price range, something like this would be hard to beat, and it has an SSD ;).

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
In the $500-$600 price range, something like this would be hard to beat, and it has an SSD ;).

This looks like a Lenovo workhorse! (y)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Ready-made desktops are always way overpriced, and usually have things you don't need, or don't have things you do need.
Order a computer from a store you trust, to build you a machine suited to your needs. Or pick one from their standard offerings.

Since you are not a gamer, a video card is a waste of money.
You can get a i3 and 8 GIB Ram. If you want it a little faster, get a i5.
All SSDs are fast enough for your needs. You just need to decide how much storage you need. I have a relatively small SSD for OS and programs, and a larger HDD for all sorts of personal files.

Just find a good store that builds computers, that's the way to go.

Post a link to a store you like, and people here might be able to help you pick out something good. Many stores have a language tab, so people can see the page in their own language.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
[/QUOTE]
Ready-made desktops are always way overpriced, and usually have things you don't need, or don't have things you do need.
Order a computer from a store you trust, to build you a machine suited to your needs. Or pick one from their standard offerings.

All SSDs are fast enough for your needs. You just need to decide how much storage you need. I have a relatively small SSD for OS and programs, and a larger HDD for all sorts of personal files.

Post a link to a store you like, and people here might be able to help you pick out something good. Many stores have a language tab, so people can see the page in their own language.
And usually come with a crappy power supply in that price range .

Brie

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018

i don't know any stores that build computers. :-(

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
i don't know any stores that build computers. :-(
What country do you live in? There are probably people here from your country that can tell you a good store.

By the way, @Vitali Ortzi mentioned power supply -- that's really important, because the cheap ones die after a few years, often at a most inconvenient moment.
If you have an old desktop lying around, from which you can steal the PSU, you are okay, but otherwise, you are looking at a brick, until you can buy another PSU.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
What country do you live ?
And city if it's not too much specific/ private.
Hi Vitali, I think we are both from Israel. Where would you buy a desktop?
I used to buy from KSP, but recently I ordered a computer from Plonter, and I was very impressed by their professionalism and service. It was a little more expensive, but worth it.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Hi Vitali, I think we are both from Israel. Where would you buy a desktop?
I used to buy from KSP, but recently I ordered a computer from Plonter, and I was very impressed by their professionalism and service. It was a little more expensive, but worth it.
Wow you live in Israel as well !
Actually I need recommendation as the yad 2 used market board has rarely decent deals and ksp / ivory are overpriced as well and worse use low quality parts and bad cable management .
Like seriously seen them bundle a GT 710 with an amd APU .
If someone has good used places to buy server parts in Israel Im looking to build a 50 Terabyte server.
But I will check out Plonter for the higher quality if it's good enough it might reduce some manual labor .
About my current desktop my dad bought it from Asia and imported it and the Dell laptop is shared between my family members .

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Think about how much storage you need.
I have now 41GB on C and 50GB on D is in total 91GB.
So, when I double that (to be future proof) a 256GB SSD would be enough for me.
But my kids would need bigger SSD's, at least 512GB.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Wow you live in Israel as well !
Actually I need recommendation as the yad 2 used market board has rarely decent deals and ksp / ivory are overpriced as well and worse use low quality parts and bad cable management .
Like seriously seen them bundle a GT 710 with an amd APU .
If someone has good used places to buy server parts in Israel Im looking to build a 50 Terabyte server.
But I will check out Plonter for the higher quality if it's good enough it might reduce some manual labor .
About my current desktop my dad bought it from Asia and imported it and the Dell laptop is shared between my family members .
People in Israel don't part with their computers until they are dead or worse. The market for used devices flourishes better in more affluent countries, I think.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Well dont worry dude as you said you only use 2 browsers, VPN and watch something on YouTube ok this means very simple PC

Here's PC parts list link:

this PC is really good for you this is about $435 you know you can upgrade some parts in motherboard later whenever you want, write these PC parts list in the note except the price, when you go to the store show the note to the worker that you want these tell him/her you dont know how to build it so they help you for that and chose PC case what you like at the store make sure to check PC parts are correct as i sent you the link

one thing is please just think about 240GB storage is good for you? sure?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.