Jan 8, 2011
You have a new name for all those. :p

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Like the quote said not the most secure setup...... Avast 6 Free (this is the product that you use right?) is a powerful antivirus with a lot of features but it still has some weak points so if you don't want to further increase your real time protection with a HIPS like Comodo Firewall, you should use common sense or some additional non real-time tools to protect yourself. :)

Anyway here is what you can add to your config :

Additional browser protection:

Adblock Plus for Google Chrome (Free) - link
Adblock Plus for Google Chrome is a content-filtering extension for Google Chrome. Adblock allows users to prevent page elements, such as advertisements, from being downloaded and displayed.

LastPass (Free) - link
LastPass is an online password manager and form filler that makes web browsing easier and more secure.

You can increase your online privacy by using Ghostery :
Ghostery (Free) -link
Ghostery is your window into the invisible web – tags, web bugs, pixels and beacons that are included on web pages in order to get an idea of your online behavior.
Ghostery tracks the trackers and gives you a roll-call of the ad networks, behavioral data providers, web publishers, and other companies interested in your activity.
You can read here a review on Ghostery

You should give Sandboxie try, really useful when opening to unknown/suspicious apps or going to shady sites (not that you should do that ..but it happens:p)
Watch the below video with Sandboxie at work :

Virtualization:
Sandboxie (Free/Paid) - link
Sandboxie runs your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer.

FrontPageAnimation.gif

FrontPageLegend.png

Additional on-demand scanner:
Hitman Pro (Trial) - link
An on-demand scanner using multiple anti-malware engines and cloud technology. It offers unlimited free scanning but once you use it to remove detected malware it switches to a 30-day trial version. I recommend using it after you've scanned your hard-drive with the other products you have installed.

VTUploader (Free) - link
To upload a file to VirusTotal, you can visit the main analysis site, click the Browse button to select a file from your hard drive, and then click the Send file button. You can make this process even easier with the free VirusTotal Uploader utility. After installing it, you can simply right-click any file under 20MB and choose "VirusTotal" from the Send To Windows menu. The scan results will display in your browser as usual.

Extra protection:
EMET 2 (Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit) (Free) - link
EMET provides users with the ability to deploy security features built into Windows to arbitrary applications. This helps prevent vulnerabilities in those applications from successfully being exploited. DEP, SEHOP and ASLR are such security features, if you want to learn more about what they do, you can watch this video from Microsoft TechCenter. To configure EMET you should follow this guide by rationallyPARANOID.

This video shows how to mitigate Internet Explorer CSS 0day exploit that affects all versions of IE, using the Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit 2.0 (EMET)

Norton DNS (Free) - link
It automatically blocks dangerous Web sites so you can surf the Web without worrying about getting infected or scammed.
Norton DNS - a safer and smarter way to surf the Web.

PS. Welcome aboard!:D

Last edited:

Luke[Dumke480]

Thread author
Oct 28, 2011
Thanks, but buddy, unless i was a Novice or close to Intermediate that security seems alittle over the top, i don't go on many websites, but the ones i do go on are safe, but if i were looking to "Secure" my system, i most likely would have a few of those installed.

but thanks anyways, i've got all the security i need.

E

Exorcizm

@ Jack - wow thats a heck of alot of software :D what do you do!? download private information from government area 51 security sectors? xD

dont mistake me though, they are very useful tools ! ^_^ something i could definately put on some of my pesky clients machines whom dont understand that the internet can be a dangerous place!

Hahaha!

-Josh

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Exorcizm said:
@ Jack - wow thats a heck of alot of software :D what do you do!? download private information from government area 51 security sectors? xD
-Josh
All the tools won;t run in real time so they won't slow down a system , they will increase your security and most importantly your web experience (eg. LastPass and AdBlocker) :D
You should give them a try......it's really easy to uninstall them if you don't like how they behave.

E

Exorcizm

Jack said:
Exorcizm said:
-Josh
All the tools won;t run in real time so they won't slow down a system , they will increase your security and most importantly your web experience (eg. LastPass and AdBlocker) :D
You should give them a try......it's really easy to uninstall them if you don't like how they behave.

I think i'll consider it for when i am bored :D haha
I am very picky what i install on my system, to the point where any software i may not like i wont install simply because of the registry keys entries and files and folders left over in the system after its uninstalled, i could use a program like Revo Uninstaller to fix that problem, but then again its also fairly unreliable and dangerous sometimes, so i like to install things on a needed basis

Like i said, for when im bored ;)

haha :)

Regards

I

illumination

It is just suggestions Jack is throwing at you, there is a reason, even some of us Advanced users, use these this type of security. Avast has decent detection, malwarebytes does also, SuperAntiSpyware, is also a decent tool, but none of them are 100%. I have found infections on people systems running Avast, using Malwarebytes, and SuperAntiSpyware on Demand scanners, then used Hitman pro, then finally CCE, found things that the original protection missed, as well as the first two on demand scanners. One would think after running the first two, the system is probably clean, not always the case. A few systems i have worked on, ended up corrupted from the viruses they sustained, thankfully they had built in "set to factory settings".. IMO there is no such thing as too much security, and one can begin with having back ups of everything. Unless you are independently wealthy and can afford to replace the computer when something like this happens.

Luke[Dumke480]

Thread author
Oct 28, 2011
Quick question well did you do in english when you were at school?

Actually.. For a home pc their is a bench for the amount of security.

I play games, browse forums, programme and social networking, if i need that kind of security.. Then what security above would need.

Yes they are suggestioms.. But... Man!

That's quite a few.

E

Exorcizm

If theres one thing everyone should accept, its that you will never be 100% protected, no matter what you do, unless you disconnect internet and never use it, and never install anything, you will always be open to a threat, so its better off backing up (all my stuff is on an attached external hdd) ;) and learning how to fix these problems quickly and on the spot, assuming the have adequate protection, having to many programs isnt really useful, except for clearing out the virus once you have it, but then again, if you know how to anyway, then you can spend the same time removing the virus, and you spend using those tools to get rid of it, as i said either in this thread or another, there will always be arguements on whats best, and truthfully, whats best is what works for the user, and if i havent been infected for 3 years, i beleive im doing something right, and i do alot of things that are "malicious heavy" if you know what i mean, so theres always high risk, but im 100% clean on my side with viruses etc etc

Sidenote: I've had to state to people how long its been since ive been infected, that i think i'll jinx myself soon! haha! :3

But yeah, thats my overlook on it, and what im happy doing and have been happy doing, it works for my clients and everyones happy, enough said ^_^

EDIT: What you have suggested for use on a computer would be recommended for perhaps a high end business computer with sensitive information, for computers that are used for gaming and web browsing, where the end user is smart enough to backup, anti virus and security countermeasures arent the most important thing, especially when its quicker to get infected and fix the infection, than take the time to install lots of programs and feel your safe, and then get infected anyway.

Programs are sets of instructions put into a GUI to carry out operations automatically for a user, programs we are talking about, *some of them* need to scan your whole computer to find viruses, worms etc, if you are a very deep indepth user like me in the file system and windows,
you will find its quicker to remove the virus yourself, and then repair the computer (if broken) or yes, carry out a virus scan to find ALL of them for you, still making the point of having many security countermeasures invalid

this is of course all in my opinion as ive stated that each user feels comfertable with different things, and i know as a fact no one will ever be 100% secure on the internet.

Regards :)

I

illumination

Luke[Dumke480] said:
Quick question well did you do in english when you were at school?

Actually.. For a home pc their is a bench for the amount of security.

I play games, browse forums, programme and social networking, if i need that kind of security.. Then what security above would need.

Yes they are suggestioms.. But... Man!

That's quite a few.

Well in school i did, thank you very much! ;) Just not awake yet, and coffee has not had time to kick in. I, like you, only do a little social networking, then mainly research. I have not had an infection in a very long time, but as stated in my config, i keep back ups of my back ups, and have some decent security installed. They are just suggestions, as a lot of us believe, that layering security is the way to go now days.

Luke[Dumke480]

Thread author
Oct 28, 2011
i don't see the need to layer the security, as well, unless i was a target 100%, it wouldn't stop them.

but if it's just malicious programs, bleh, easy kill.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Did you have any backup options, just incase everything goes pear shaped?

E

Exorcizm

McLovin said:

I personally have absolutely everything backed up to my 1TB WD External HDD, so i can format all i like without a single worry, only thing i have to worry about it maintaining my External HDD and making sure its healthy and wont crash :p

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Exorcizm said:
McLovin said:

I personally have absolutely everything backed up to my 1TB WD External HDD, so i can format all i like without a single worry, only thing i have to worry about it maintaining my External HDD and making sure its healthy and wont crash :p

Same here that is what I have done as well.

E

Exorcizm

McLovin said:
Exorcizm said:
McLovin said:

Same here that is what I have done as well.

Well then you sir. Are a champion ;) haha

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.