M1 iPad Pro over 50% faster than previous generation in early benchmarks

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Last month, Apple introduced a new iPad Pro with the same M1 chip found in the latest Macs, and early benchmark results indicate that the M1 iPad Pro is over 50% faster than the previous-generation iPad Pro.

Based on five legitimate Geekbench 5 results (here's the fifth) for the fifth-generation 12.9-inch iPad Pro with the M1 chip, the device has average single-core and multi-core scores of 1,718 and 7,284, respectively. By comparison, the fourth-generation 12.9-inch iPad Pro with the A12Z chip has average single-core and multi-core scores of 1,121 and 4,656, respectively, meaning that the M1 iPad Pro is around 56% faster.

Geekbench 5: Average Multi-Core Results​

• M1 MacBook Air: 7,378
  • M1 iPad Pro: 7,284
  • Core i9 16" MacBook Pro: 6,845
  • A12Z iPad Pro: 4,656

The rest

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
Not super surprising. I know a lot of people on Macrumors thought that the M1 in an iPad would somehow be slower than in a Mac, but I've got a M1 Macbook Air and it never gets hot. Not after 3 hours of video transcoding and maybe slightly warm when playing Starcraft II under Rosetta. What Apple has managed to achieve in terms of performance and power is pretty nuts.

The trouble is, I have no idea what I'd do with that power in an iPad. The apps are just either too limited or charge a lot of money to do pretty basic things. I have an A12X based iPad Pro and already feel like I wasted too much money on an iPad when the lowest model would do everything I want.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.