Hot Take Macrium Reflect Home: Annual Plan

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
M0HvL5R.png
Is this better than aomei backupper and hasleo backup suite?

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Whelp, I am going to keep using aomei free backupper. It is unfortunately to see Macrium dropped support for their free home version completely.

• Sad
Reactions: simmerskool

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
I think Macrium is going to kill the one-time purchase by making it a very bad deal, there's no black friday discount for one-time purchase this year, annual plan get 50% off and 6 months extra.

View attachment 279771
I think you can try check on the website seller as Amazon or something like this see if they have One-Time Purchase

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I currently have Macrium Workstation installed as a redundant to my primary Imaging solution (Veritas System Recovery). This may change as Macrium has failed to recover the system couple of times during my quarterly Disaster Recovery drills.

I've begun an extended trial of Hasleo Backup Suite as a possible replacement for Macrium. Although its way too early to make an informed judgement, so far I have been more impressed with it than I though I would be.

wat0114

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
This may change as Macrium has failed to recover the system couple of times during my quarterly Disaster Recovery drills.

Maybe Ophelia did something to your hard drive that Macrium simply can't deal with :p:LOL:

All kidding aside, this is at least somewhat alarming to see, as I use MR free for imaging Windows. I had to restore once with it and luckily it worked, but this is some cause for concern. I'll probably try a different solution down the road, since the free edition will no longer receive any updates. Btw, I had a bad experience with Clonezilla recently ahen attempting to restore an image of openSUSE Linux with it. I can't remember the error, but it was an epic failure to restore. It just goes to show that there doesn't seem to be anything that can be counted on to be 100% reliable.

Antig

Level 1
Mar 23, 2021
I never had any malfunction either with Acronis,Aomei etc.until i had one.I think any software can in some particular instance fail.
Now I had reached my tranquillity for the past 3 years with one Macrium paid and four free ones (never malfunctions,but easier management) when Macrium decided to practically ditch the free ones.
Some work to do next year. If cruelsister finds Hasleo Backup Suite worth a dance i might try that.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
I'd been doing a lot of "testing" on backup software, just out of curiosity and for something to do. Over the past couple of months, until I lost my wife three weeks ago, I tried many of the various brands. For me, on this laptop, Aomei Backupper has proven itself. Macrium has not failed but is just a bit slower to both backup and restore. I was planning to try Hasleo, but didn't get to it.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I'd been doing a lot of "testing" on backup software, just out of curiosity and for something to do. Over the past couple of months, until I lost my wife three weeks ago, I tried many of the various brands. For me, on this laptop, Aomei Backupper has proven itself. Macrium has not failed but is just a bit slower to both backup and restore. I was planning to try Hasleo, but didn't get to it.
Sorry for your loss.

I am using AOMEI pro but it's kind of buggy. Sometimes it forgets backup jobs and I must recreate them; the UI decides to not show edit option for backup jobs. In general, the backup and restore works well.
Macrium reflect is a no go as hate subscriptions and they are pushing for that. Same with Acronis.
Veeam is great if you don't need much (1 backup job) or want to go to the hassle to find their pricing which they don't even show. Probably targeting enterprise users only.

My next test would be Hasleo but I need to understand their business model first before anything.

Last edited:

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Thank you for the thought.

No trouble of any kind with Aomei. It's my main go to just because it works flawlessly on this old laptop, which now has Win 10, although I do have my beloved Win 8.1 saved on an external. I also back up with Macrium weekly, so essentially have 2 current backups. Aomei just proves to be slightly faster each time. I save 3 backups of each.

I think eventually I will drop Macrium since, like you, I simply will not pay a monthly fee to use a product.

B-boy/StyLe/

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2023
I think Macrium is going to kill the one-time purchase by making it a very bad deal, there's no black friday discount for one-time purchase this year, annual plan get 50% off and 6 months extra.
This is very sad indeed. I waited for the Black Friday discount, only to see that the One-Time Purchase wasn't discounted at all. The annual plan is not good enough for home users in my opinion and I don't need 4 computers plans. I will stay with the free version for now and will decide how to proceed later on.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.